Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Be Honest [E1 secrets]

Have you not found all the secrets in Doom 1 episode 1? If you have not found them all, you may use this space to make your confession. Once you've done that, you may then absolve your sin by playing through the episode again and finding all secrets.

Poll question: have you found all the secrets in Episode 1 of Doom?
Poll answers:

1. are you kidding me?
2. I am not ashamed to admit that I have not.
3. I cower in fear of scorn for not having found them all.
4. I can proudly say I have.

Not only have I found all the secrets in episode 1, I have found all the secrets in all 3 original episodes. I admit I haven't found them all in doom 2 or Thy Flesh Consumed though. Took me about 4 hours one day a loooong time ago.

As in the year I found all of them.

I know of all the secrets from Doom and Doom 2 because I looked through Paul Falstad's secret listing in the "Official" Doom FAQ (and the addendum in Gamefaqs about Episode 4). It practically ruined Doom 2 for me because I knew of all secrets before even having the game.

printz said:

I know of all the secrets from Doom and Doom 2 because I looked through Paul Falstad's secret listing in the "Official" Doom FAQ (and the addendum in Gamefaqs about Episode 4). It practically ruined Doom 2 for me because I knew of all secrets before even having the game.

Heh... you ruined all your adventure then.

I can definitely say that i have done, at least for episode 1. I made a demo about 7 years ago on achieving 100% everything within each level, it was for my website, which was hosted in AOL hometown (lol). As for the rest of the episodes, i've never kept track so i have absolutely no idea.

This thread is good to know if we should still consider any mention of Doom's secrets as spoilers and tag them accordingly.

I could say 4 too..tho I do know most episode 2 secrets and slightly less for episode 3.

If you go left at the start and look behind the pillar to the right there's a switch (sometimes).
I still haven't worked out what it does though :/

It opens the wall to the right side of the starting point, right beside the window, so you can jump outside early rather than going 3/4 the way through the stage. When you jump outside, the tech room wall opens (the following room after the starting area).

Was implanted in the later versions of Doom, for deathmatch purposes i believe.

In all the years I've been playing Doom I've obstinately refused to go online and look for a full list of the secrets in the IWADs, and since I only ever play through the IWADs in vanilla I don't get ZDoom's secret counter either. I've probably found the great majority of secrets in E1, but I'm always amazed at what I'm still discovering in all the canon episodes of Doom and hope to keep that sense of mystery going.

StupidBunny said:

In all the years I've been playing Doom I've obstinately refused to go online and look for a full list of the secrets in the IWADs.

This, I find it's funner to do it this way, and every time I bump into a secret that I haven't found yet... I go "heyyyyy!" and then make a ":)" face. Except for that one time on E4M1 when I came across that hideous Nine in Nails logo... hate that band!

I've spend loads of time on trying to find all the secrets in Doom when I played it for the first time. I was always cheering when I found another one. Some took me a while though, I found some of them to be really creative. That searching for secrets is what Doom makes Doom fun to play. Makes me wonder how fun Doom would be without having a single secret. I can dream E1 nowdays.

I've found all of the secrets in the original 3 episodes. I've also done this for Plutonia and Doom 2 (that you can actually trigger). Who knows if I could find them again, though.

StupidBunny said:

In all the years I've been playing Doom I've obstinately refused to go online and look for a full list of the secrets in the IWADs, and since I only ever play through the IWADs in vanilla I don't get ZDoom's secret counter either. I've probably found the great majority of secrets in E1, but I'm always amazed at what I'm still discovering in all the canon episodes of Doom and hope to keep that sense of mystery going.

I applaud you and have the same sort of attitude, although I use zdoom. I have to agree the secret counter (along with telling you were key doors are) are features of zdoom that don't enhance the game. Do you know about the shortcut on e1m4? I ask others not to say what it is.

Xaser said:

I choose option 5.

and what would that be, pray tell?

baronofheck82 said:

I think I have, but I'm not too sure. I can't really remember.

Well go play it again and find all the secrets ya cacodemon!

dutch devil said:

I've spend loads of time on trying to find all the secrets in Doom when I played it for the first time. I was always cheering when I found another one. Some took me a while though, I found some of them to be really creative. That searching for secrets is what Doom makes Doom fun to play. Makes me wonder how fun Doom would be without having a single secret. I can dream E1 nowdays.

It's precisely the responses like these that I've quoted here that I made this thread. :D

Dragonsbrethren said:

The last secret I found was that unmarked computer panel you can open in E1M5. I finally found that earlier this year/last year.

Haha! I was just thinking about this secret earlier today and wondering how I ever did find it. There is really no hint of its existence. I remember I was looking for secrets, but not pressing randomly, and I was like... I feel like pressing on that wall there, somehow the shape of the room or something put the thought in my mind. I still remember finding it even though it was some 15+ years ago.

...and I have been "playing" the game since the mid-90's. I've just spent much more time living vicariously through watching demos of Doomgods than actually playing myself.

Nope. The only time I've played through all of Doom and Doom 2 in single player was on the GBA versions. I used to play a lot of Doom 2 coop, so I know those secrets rather well. I'm sure I've found them all at some point.

Secrets in E1 are purely instinctive to me. I couldn't list half of them in this post, but as soon as I'm actually in the game, it's frightening how I know what's a secret and what's not.

I'm sure I can't say the same for the other episodes though. Hell, some of the maps barely look familiar to me anymore, considering how long it's been since I played through the entire games.