Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Heretic/HeXen Source Code

Well, I just now downloaded the Heretic/Hexen source code. Can anyone tell me anything about changing stuff in the game? For one thing, I'd like to implement rudimentary source-port stuff in the original Heretic.exe. Can one of you programming wizards tell me how to do this?
Thanks.

The only thing I can do programming-wise is math equations in VB, but I can still safely assure you that before you try to do anything with that source code you need to learn how to program and how to program well.

Decipher this if you can (from the Heretic Source Code):

// MN_menu.c
#include <ctype.h>
#include "DooMDef.h"
#include "P_local.h"
#include "R_local.h"
#include "soundst.h"

How about that, programmer gurus? Tell me what it means.

The language is so huge that it uses various sets of instructions from different parts to do its work. Some of these instructions come in forms of files that you simply "put" in your program. These instructions or files are in the form of libraries, and that's what we will call them, libraries. To make your job easier, some of these libraries have already been written for you so that as you include them in your program, you already have a good foundation to continue your construction. Yet, some of these libraries have their limitations, which means you will expand them by writing or including your own libraries. As noted already, there are libraries previously written for you. One of them asks the computer to receive keyboard strokes from you the user (when you press a key) and another asks the machine (the computer performing some operations) to give back a result. These libraries are files that you place at the beginning of your program as if you were telling the computer to receive its preliminary instructions from another program before expanding on yours. The libraries are called header files and they have the extension ".h". An example would be house.h, or person.h. As you see, they could have any name; when you start creating your own libraries, you will give them appropriate and recognizable names.

so in simple terms.....it just says to include those libraries in that program part....
and you could create your own .h files and include them too.

Yeah I'd like to see if he's at least able to compile the source...

I'D LIKE TO SEE HOW MILLENNIUM WOULD LOOK WITH NEW TEXTURES!

C:\>cd \heretic\src
C:\heretic\src>doomdef.c
Bad command or file name
C:\heretic\src>r_main.c
Bad command or file name
C:\heretic\src>w_wad.c
Stupidity cannot be concealed
C:\heretic\src>

I'D LIKE TO SEE HOW MILLENNIUM WOULD LOOK WITH NEW TEXTURES!

I'D LIKE TO SEE HOW MILLENNIUM WOULD LOOK FINISHED