Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

Whatever happened to Dark Plutonia?

Drama happened during the development of a project, and Death-Destiny quit the community, probably forever.

myk said:

Drama happened during the development of a project, and Death-Destiny quit the community, probably forever.

Ah, that's too bad.

yeah but it still sucks. To us, finished or unfinished, it's still worthless if it's only stored on someone's hard drive.

I don't like the way drama bullshit endangers projects and their progress.

Tell that to the people who cause the drama. I have the feeling they'll never learn and continue to alienate those people this community needs most.

Graf Zahl said:

Tell that to the people who cause the drama. I have the feeling they'll never learn and continue to alienate those people this community needs most.

The amount of totally unnecessary strife, hassle, and power struggle that Death-Destiny singlehandedly created for the leaders of Community Chest 4 and Claustrophobia 1024 nearly killed both projects in their tracks. While it's a shame for those who were fans of his maps, I think anyone who lead a project "with" him will agree that the community is far better off without his involvement.

esselfortium said:

The amount of totally unnecessary strife, hassle, and power struggle that Death-Destiny singlehandedly created for the leaders of Community Chest 4 and

Was there drama for CC4 too? I thought he merely volunteered to lead it and entered quickly... and when he started to be fed up with Doomworld, he resigned his slot while still clenching the manager position. Any thread regarding serious CC4 drama, if any? :)

To my knowledge, none of it was publicized in the form of dramabomb threads or anything like that, but I've heard enough about it to know that he caused a lot of undue grief for The Green Herring and Use3d.

Graf Zahl said:

I have the feeling they'll never learn and continue to alienate those people this community needs most.

I have to agree, Doomworld is certainly in dire need of arrogant, condescending control freaks.

printz said:

Was there drama for CC4 too? I thought he merely volunteered to lead it and entered quickly...

There was no 'volunteering', he just put himself in control, despite only being around for a few months, with no regard to members who put massive effort into getting CC3 out the door (mostly Green Herring). CC3 was just released and quite popular, so he had to get a piece of that for himself. Green Herring and I had actually had a few talks about taking CC4 in a different direction, to change it up, but he just decided it was his move to start the project on his own.

Graf Zahl said:

I'm pretty sure this would be a happier place if people dwelled in the community with the attitude the mapper I described in this post had, there wouldn't be much drama at all.

IMO people put too much passion into what they do here in an internet community.

I agree. Generally speaking I think the problem is that people assume that brilliance is something that can be conjured up just by thinking or focusing on something really hard. Nothing could be further from the truth. There is no magic brain power where you generate something awesome.

Brilliance is, if anything, the result of experimentation and just doing whatever the fuck you want, which does not take as much emotional or mental investment as the magic brilliance power. Sure, throwing anything out into the wind is going to generate some shit from time to time, but this isn't really a problem if you aren't concerned about your reputation or ego.

A great deal of humanity's greatest achievements came about by accident.

An experienced and talented Doom mapper can probably shit out brilliant maps faster than your averaging mapper Joe, but I think that they are still entirely capable of coming up with something awesome. The problem is that most Joes want everyone to think they are cool, so they don't release finished work that they think isn't good enough.

40oz said:

I'm pretty sure this would be a happier place if people dwelled in the community with the attitude the mapper I described in this post had, there wouldn't be much drama at all.

Do you remember cjwright79? As I recall he had that attitude, and the result was he was remorselessly trolled in every /newstuff thread and - please correct me if I am wrong - eventually banned for defending himself too vigorously.

See also: Ruba, Glassyman, etc. That don't-give-a-fuck-what-anyone-thinks attitude is counterproductive when taken to extremes.

The thing about cjwright, though, is that he incessantly and obstinately claimed to be making maps for himself without the slightest regard for what anybody else thought, but what separates him from the author of WIT.wad is that he clearly did care. If he truly didn't care he wouldn't have been such an insufferable little queen about everybody's inferior, archvile-jumping, circular-room-hating opinions of his maps.

There are also users like Terry and Glassyman, but their motives are once again different. In this case, it's not that they're mapping for fun, they're using mapping to troll people, unfortunately to great effect. (I sincerely can't tell what Ruba's motives are.)

esselfortium said:

To my knowledge, none of it was publicized in the form of dramabomb threads or anything like that, but I've heard enough about it to know that he caused a lot of undue grief for The Green Herring and Use3d.

There must have been a 'dramabomb' somewhere, though. No one who was obviously enjoying mapping as much as Death Destiny seemed to be, would quit like that without something pretty damn harsh being said about him, or to him.

I'm also curious if he knew, initially, when he jumped on CC4 that he'd just taken project from two other veterans who were also very keen to take control of the next CC project?

Mostly, I'm just curious to know exactly what caused him to leave. I really, really miss his maps. :(

Wow whee, I thought he was in agreement with those two when I saw his big-ass thread in CC4 about sign-ups and rules. Not that he hijacked it. No one was complaining there when replying, so I didn't suspect anything.

Why isn't Use3D leading CC4 now?

Insane_Gazebo said:

Mostly, I'm just curious to know exactly what caused him to leave. I really, really miss his maps. :(

See his last post.

Though Green Herring is piloting CC4, I've mostly taken on the role of co-leader, since I started a new job shortly after it began, I haven't had the same kind of time.
Initially I wanted to take at least a year off from Community Chest anyway, but it was either jump in or lose the project to some random upstart (Death Destiny). This winter I had planned on drumming up support and becoming more involved in CC4, since I'm still proud of the project and really want to be present in the playtesting of maps. Luckily Green Herring is a capable leader and is very conscious of making the project the best it can be.

Insane_Gazebo said:

I'm also curious if he knew, initially, when he jumped on CC4 that he'd just taken project from two other veterans who were also very keen to take control of the next CC project?

Judging by his total lack of respect for members like Mechadon and projects like 1024 I can honestly say he didn't give a shit.