Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CodeImp

Star Trek -like home computer

Those of you who hate Star Trek, or dislike technology, save yourself a few minutes and click away from this topic now or just ALT+F4 it.

When I'm not working on Doom Builder, I play some games to relax or work on my home computer. Here is a video of my home computer;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vOvDFxn76g

Both the computer and the software is self made. The interface is inspired by the LCARS interface from Star Trek.

Shown in this video are:
- Agenda/Calendar
- Shopping list (Groceries)
- Rain radar
- Train departure times (because the train station is nearby)
- Library & Media player (connected to home cinema set)
- Internet browser

Not shown, but also operational:
- Bluetooth support (notice the Transfer button, allows you to send MP3s or the shopping list to your telephone)
- Torrent downloading (notice the Downloads button under the Multimedia category and the Downloads directory in the library)

More will be added as I get ideas and time to develop them. Why don't I control my home lights with this? Because the needed hardware costs a LOT and the light switch next to the door is more practical in the end anyway. Maybe some day I will add it just because it is cool.

Suggestions are welcome.

CodeImp said:

When I'm not working on Doom Builder, I play some games to relax or work on my home computer. Here is a video of my home computer;

Very cool, but you play games and relax by standing up with your arm out in front of a little screen?

Thanks Nomad :) I like it too :)

Bank said:

Very cool, but you play games and relax by standing up with your arm out in front of a little screen?

Heh no, this is not the computer I usually work or play games on. It is completely dedicated for my living room. My working/gaming computer has two 24" widescreen monitors :D

I could easily be lumped in with the "don't like technology" crowd but even I find that incredibly cool. Nice job.

CodeImp said:

Both the computer and the software is self made.

The entire operating system? Or the interface and all of the programs?

Either way, you are amazing.

Okudagrams! <3
You need a comm badge that picks up voice commands, and raise Majel Barrett from the dead to record the computer voice!

CodeImp said:

Because the needed hardware costs a LOT and the light switch next to the door is more practical in the end anyway.

I laughed.

That is, without a doubt, one of the nerdiest things I've ever seen in my extensive time on the internet... Keep up the good work.:-)

CodeImp said:

More will be added as I get ideas and time to develop them. Why don't I control my home lights with this? Because the needed hardware costs a LOT and the light switch next to the door is more practical in the end anyway. Maybe some day I will add it just because it is cool.

Suggestions are welcome.

I would automate a few of the lights. Specifically, the exterior ones, for when you get home after dark. About the only other practical application I can think of would be climate control.

You really nailed the LCARS 'feel'.

Oh man, I've always wanted a computer that could do this. Okudagrams for the win.

Bonus points for those mentioning "Okudagrams" :) I remember reading about that when I searched for LCARS on the net.

Some pics "behind the scenes"

I spy a Heineken. Good beer that :)

I was expecting an exposed motherboard, hdd, etc rather than a whole PC behind that panel.

CodeImp, maybe you should team up with this guy. You have awesome software and he has too much experience in Voyager-esque interior design. :D

What I want to know is did that guy draw all his own Okudagrams, find plans online, or did he maybe call the Okudas (yes, they are a couple) and pester them?

Planky said:

If it's not synthohol, then the whole project is an forceful attempt to look geeky.

Planky said:

HEINEKEN? FUCK THAT SHIT, PABST BLUE RIBBON!

Well spotted. Heineken is nice :)

Planky said:

I was expecting an exposed motherboard, hdd, etc rather than a whole PC behind that panel.

Why would I do that when it is much safer to keep everything in a computer casing? I'm sure it would look cooler if all the parts were exposed, but it is behind a panel anyway, it doesn't have to look cool in there :P

Aliotroph? said:

CodeImp, maybe you should team up with this guy. You have awesome software and he has too much experience in Voyager-esque interior design. :D

What I want to know is did that guy draw all his own Okudagrams, find plans online, or did he maybe call the Okudas (yes, they are a couple) and pester them?

Yea I've seen that. I'm not going that far though. Also, I like my interior design as it is.
It is not hard to make some okudagrams yourself (he probably did, or he downloaded some from the net) there are a few rules to it, but I didn't comply to all these rules. For example, my coloring is more relaxed and gray-ish than the original, because I want it to fit my interior and not screaming for attention "look at me, I've got so many colors".

For some reason the access panel reminds me of the AC unit Dexter would stash his blood slides in. Very cool setup. I was expecting some sort of VESA mount behind the monitor installed into the wall. Or see a matx, or itx, form factor case.

Other theory was that you did an entire integrated tablet unit. All you need now is a replicator and a Holodeck to run Doom Builder 3D mode.