Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

Doom2.wad oddity.

Nobody's ever been able to max those levels without saves. Recording max demos for them is considered impossible by most expert runners.

Well, "most" does not mean "all", does it? stx-Vile said a couple of years ago he thought that a MAP02 max was doable; he got as far as the blue key and was sure he was not the only one. Although he remarked that the only trouble with it is you might not be happy with the result once it's achieved.

But that was then. Since then quite a few new promising speedrunners have appeared on the scene, constantly pushing the envelope further than any old Compet-N'ers could ever imagine. It's just a matter of time now before someone posts a lv02-xxx.lmp. It might be recorded with Choco or even prB+, but I'm confident that recorded it will be.

Mark my words.

Never_Again said:

stx-Vile said a couple of years ago he thought that a MAP02 max was doable

Years later I look back on those claims and wish I had left it alone... how foolishly optimistic I was! The blue key remained a mere teaser followed by many torturous recording sessions leaving me the shattered shell of a man I am today...

Dew, I mean no offense but after careful scrutiny of your demo I have to ask if you really didn't use any TAS features. At 2:23, you open the door and immediately shoot the zombieman with lightning fast reflexes. More importantly, past some point you repeatedly open doors without switching to the hand first. How can you open a door while holding your weapon ? Again, I'm sorry to be rude, but something seems seriously fishy here.

BAH!!! I have never seen anyone punch a zombieman before, I think you may be onto something Phml.

Nice demo! I have never seen this map Uvmaxed in such a time around 1:40-1:50. below 1:40 seems to be actually doable?

Gez said:

The Doom wiki lists no UV pacifist run for MAP02.

Time to update that wiki! :)

I found some old demos by Norbert Reifschneider that include Max demos on maps 2, 3 and 4. I've attached part 1 to this post (the full collection is too large to attach).

Now these demos were recorded on Doom2 1.666, and you'll need to dig out (or downgrade to) your old 1.666 iwad to watch these. But how come he was able to record these back in 1995?

I notice that there is a spechits overflow on map02. I think I might be on to something here, guys. Perhaps the overflow has the effect of making the player's weapons more powerful, or enhancing the autoaim. Whaddya think? Maybe a coder would like to look through the source code to see if that might be what is happening here. It could open up a whole new branch of speedrunning tricks.

BTW, I disagree about the claim that dew was using TAS. I'd say that it is more a case of excellent map knowledge - see how he wasn't very surprised by that sergeant in the alcove? But DoomHero's stuff does look suspicious to me. I mean, the map03 demo features a telefrag.

uvdemos1.zip

Well done DoomHero, I was actually trying out a new speedrunning technique that I though might help to complete the level, hopefully my efforts did not go to waste.

I hereby dub my new technique MelonMomentum, and it works like this; you know how when you press two movement buttons at the same time, you go faster, well in MelonMomentum you always press both FORWARD and TURN LEFT all the time to maximise this feature. What makes it even more special though is that by also pressing MOVE RIGHT at the same time, you end up going forward but with THREE movement keys held down. Consider that with two movement keys, it makes a triangle where the final line is your resultant speed. In MelonMomentum, the three movements plus the resultant speed vector make a square! And what's the area of this square? SPEED SQUARED! I rest my case.

I have attached a demo that manages to make it out of the first room using this technique. As you can see, it holds a lot of promise, managing to get so far on this really hard map!

It's so fast, it will make you dizzy!

momentum.zip

i swear this is the fastest my demo got 20 downloads, ever. all it takes is an exceptional performance on an iwad map trained for years... and a cheats accusation.

It's really no surprise that I was able to do mine. When I play a pwad, I leave it and enter map 02, a lot of the time I just keep playing. So therefor, map 02 is the IWAD map I see the most, thus know it best.

Creaphis said:

Nobody's ever been able to max those levels without saves. Recording max demos for them is considered impossible by most expert runners.

Not funny.