Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

Pass the wad (Game)

How about we have a game where we take a well known pwad that allows for editing, and just move the items, monsters, etc. around and see how different we can make the gameplay from the original wad.

E: And then that person passes the wad onto someone else to do it again.

Sigvatr said:

Can we change the geometry? That would be more fun.

And after that, we'll change the texturing and the music, too!

I actually like this idea very much. I love editing existing stuff. Often my best ideas come from existing stuff than from nothing. But someone hurry up and choose the wad. I have no patience.

looks like a nice idea.
i download now the truedude version, if nobody working on this already... btw wait for my version!
also, i can add new textures and music? thanks.

ok, added few details, more ammo\health, a moon sky texture from eye del cul and a brand new MIDI song from Asuka 120% (got from vgames.com):

http://www.mediafire.com/?3fdol3rbp9t517p

for the next one, i hope you found some cool new wall textures and stuff for this map, i don't found anything of good from my own graphic sources wads in my pc...

enjoy

Do you guys realize i was being sarcastic about changing the textures and music? Sheesh...

I did realise it, but I honestly didn't understand why were you sarcastic. Do you like D_RUNNIN and STARTAN textures that much ?

Phml said:

I did realise it, but I honestly didn't understand why were you sarcastic. Do you like D_RUNNIN and STARTAN textures that much ?

The music was actually kind of an interesting idea, actually, because it's essential to a map, IMO. Try playing UAC Ultra with Doom 2's default music, and the WAD isn't nearly as interesting, trust me. So, I don't mind testing that idea at all.

However, altering the texture has no direct effect on "how a map plays" which is what this idea originally was centered on. So, I honestly didn't see the point in it. When I read that he wanted to change geometry, it kind of made feel like it'd just lead to entirely altering the map, which really just leaves texturing and music. And ta-da! People followed through.

Altering thing placement, and maybe height variation = direct effect on gameplay.

Changing the map's texturing and what-not... why not just make a new map? I don't get it.

However, altering the texture has no direct effect on "how a map plays"

I beg to differ, just like music can dictate pace and influence playstyle, looks can have the same impact by drawing your attention at specific points, or on the other hand being forgettable.

Simple texture example with a direct gameplay change : say you make a megasphere at the end of a corridor and a lowering floor trap. If the whole floor has the same flat, you're not really going to know it's a trap until you walk on it. If the trap has a different flat than the floor, you're going to notice immediately that there's something different.

why not just make a new map? I don't get it.

Same thing as with tuning up 1994 maps or Oblige maps, same thing as with every remake of a map : because it's fun to start from a base and end up with something different.

Heard a game of this type earlier, sounds pretty fun.. was something like this if I recall: after passing the map to another person he can add something be it geometry or things but can't remove anything.

I'm fairly sure the license at the end of the TXT files on /idgames doesn't affect private use. Or does a forum game count as private anymore?

@hervoheebo: what do you think about us doing this with your new episode? Y'know, change the traps and stuff so that you can play your own maps and not know everything. Maybe make a doom2 version of one of them.