Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

Rad Suit Mod

Upgraded rad suit?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Upgraded rad suit?

• Finally, a good idea from Hellbent.
    • no.

The radiation suit protects you from toxic slime, fell demonic blood and even lava, but it doesn't protect you from fireballs.... So I propose there should be a mod that removes 10hp damage from all fireballs, all splash damage and barrels' explosions while you have the rad suit. Aside from being more consistent to the rad suit's protective properties, it would also mean putting a rad suit to cross a 4 second slime pit isn't an otherwise wasted rad suit. You could also have a rad suit in a secret near a hoarde of imps. It would no longer only be useful to use in slime. Could also put red bands around the shoulders of the suit graphic to indicate the upgraded status of the rad suit. It would make using the RL less dangerous, which would be a kind of cool type of powerup. It would have multiple strategic benefits: a multi-faceted powerup.

1. would it 'leak' in 20 hp damage floors?

2. what about fireballs which inflict 3,6 or 9 hp?

A good idea, testing will prove if it's a worthy enhancement

off topic: where's your old avatar collection to look at?

I was thinking it would still leak on 20 (that's why its protection against fireballs was 10 and not 20, to sort of be consistent with the notion that the rad suit is not completely impervious to lava.

3, 6 and 9hp would do no damage. If you don't like that you could have it remove 20% of the damage or 10hp, whichever is less, but that is less appealing to me. Whichever is less, because a mancubus' fireball/barrel splash damage would be reduced by too much.

avatars: http://randomrootabega.blogspot.com/2010/08/avatars.html i'm pretty sure I have more somewhere, but have a hard time keeping track of them all.

I'm more concerned with someone programming the wad than the look of the thing. I don't suppose it'd be possible to make a vanilla compatible wad of this mod?

Y'know, a part of me just goes, "Hmmm... Something that lowers the damage taken from fireballs, splash damage and barrel explosions? There is a name for the item that does this in Doom, and that name is 'armor'".

But I do like this idea tho. it would be cool if a rad suit had a few extra properties like you have listed. The splash damage thing would be quite useful.

Hellbent said:

I don't suppose it'd be possible to make a vanilla compatible wad of this mod?

I don't see how it could be possible.

Kyka said:

Y'know, a part of me just goes, "Hmmm... Something that lowers the damage taken from fireballs, splash damage and barrel explosions? There is a name for the item that does this in Doom, and that name is 'armor'".

But I do like this idea tho. it would be cool if a rad suit had a few extra properties like you have listed. The splash damage thing would be quite useful.

but armor works differently. For one, the 'armor' from the rad suit only lasts 60 seconds, and secondly, it's more effective at protecting against low damage, and less effective against high damage stuff. Blue armor for instance can protect you up to 80 hitpoints, whereas the rad suit can only protect you up to 10.

Would it just protect against Imp fireballs, or Baron of Hell/Hell Knight green plasma balls, Mancubi shots, Cacodemon plasma, Arachnotron plasma, etc, as well?

I don't think it's a bad idea. It should be much more rare to find, but that's the mapper job I guess.

I dunno, plasma seems on par with lava. I was thinking any kind of fireball. Maybe not plasma from an arachnatron. Not sure. But I was thinking mancubi and baron fireballs. Revenants probably not.

So it would be more or less like the Quake 3 battle suit? Interesting, but decorate it differently. Note that if you make the player invulnerable to splash damage, his tendency will be to just go berserk with the rocket launcher in melee.

printz said:

So it would be more or less like the Quake 3 battle suit? Interesting, but decorate it differently. Note that if you make the player invulnerable to splash damage, his tendency will be to just go berserk with the rocket launcher in melee.

minus 10 buddy, minus 10 across the board. There is no invulnerability in this rad suit.