Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BilboHicks

Wads/Megwads with Spider/Cyber/baron Specials

Hi,

I'm looking for wads/megawads that contain levels with either Baron of Hell, Cyber Mastermind or Spider Mastermind specials, besides the usual IWADs of course ;-).

I'm particularly interested in quality Doom 2 megawads that use these. Console Doom is the only one I can remember seeing use these to be honest. Hi quality UDoom episodic wads I'm interested in too.

Could you please specify the wad name, and map number they are on as well. Thanks!

Off the top of my head:
return01 e1m8
Aliens TC e2m8 (the original version requires pre-Ultimate behaviour)
uac_dead e1m8 (requires pre-Ultimate behaviour)
rage20 e1m8, e2m8 and e3m8
heroes e4m8 (and probably others)
pe4_dt2 e4m8
this test wad (background info and discussion here)

and I guess most full episodes and megawads (for doom.wad) use them in some similar way to the iwad. 2002ado, for instance.

I imagine Never_Again will be able to provide a more extensive list.

To add to Grazza's list:

• The Serenity trilogy: Serenity (E3M8), Eternity (E2M8) and Infinity (E1M8) - yes, they were built in this reverse order.
  • Nukemine (E1M8) - curiously enough, like UAC_DEAD it was designed with the pre-Ultimate behavior in mind and relies on the Spider's death to finish but still works with the Ultimate DOOM engine (and source ports) on UV and Nightmare as there are a few Barons present as well - just be sure to kill the Spider first for 100% kills.
The list could be easily extended to include hundreds of WADs. In my collection just the WADs with E1M8 number over 140, and I'll bet most of these rely on Baron(s)'s death for the final level's end. They are all (Ultimate) DOOM WADs, of course, as DOOM2 has different boss death triggers (Mancubuses and Arachnotrons on MAP07 and Keens on any map). The only DOOM2 WADs that utilize the Baron/Cyber/Spider triggers would be those for the ZDoom-based ports, via Baronspecial in MAPINFO. Good luck finding quality there. ;)

Never_Again said:

The only DOOM2 WADs that utilize the Baron/Cyber/Spider triggers would be those for the ZDoom-based ports, via Baronspecial in MAPINFO. Good luck finding quality there. ;)

I'll pass on the dig, but I'd rather say good luck finding quantity, as I don't think these specials are used often. Not when you can replicate them with ACS and get more flexibility this way.

Though I suppose it'd be easy enough to find out, for anyone who has a large collection and knows how to use grep...

There's a Spiderdemon map I thought was particularly cool. It has the player move through the level from cover to cover, working his way up and closer towards the three bosses while solving puzzles along the way (at least that's how I remember it), and eventually kill each of them by activating a crusher. Unfortunately I forgot the title of the episode or megawad. It was mentioned in some thread here, but I couldn't find it. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Yes, it makes sense that ACS would be the way to go for Zdoom. Since I have never mapped seriously for Doom, I wasn't certain that DOOM2 excluded these specials. Interesting.