Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

LPers who close their accounts

I just gotta go off on a little rant right here. What's up with the rash of Youtube LPers who wake up one day and are like "hmm I think I'll delete my account and make my thousands of videos inaccessible to all the loyal fans who have stayed subscribed to me for years now, just because I'm a royal asshole?"

If they don't want to make more videos, that's their business, but why spit in the faces of a lot of people by ripping down their collective body of work for no compelling reason? Just leave it up, leave it alone, and make it clear you're not doing any more. Jesus Christ, I don't see what's so fucking difficult about it.

From now on anybody that does this is instantly perma-unsubscribed and unfavorited from my account because I've simply had it.

(For context, my favorite all-time LP series were just removed for this reason, right while I was in the middle of watching one of them again).

As long as retsupurae stays up I'm good. Let's plays are boring as hell. Every single one I've ever seen has been atrocious.

40oz said:

As long as retsupurae stays up I'm good. Let's plays are boring as hell. Every single one I've ever seen has been atrocious.

Well, I can say that the ones on the let's play archive are gold. That's because they put a lot of thought and effort into their work and actually have a clue as to what they're doing.

40oz said:

When I watch a game, I want someone to comment it, just like watching sports on TV.

The LPs in question were of Hexen, DKotDC, and Hexen 2. Heretic was supposed to be on the slate for the future, but clearly that plan is off. The guy's account was called ErykkTehDestroyer and I always found his commentary highly entertaining.

That's why I don't get this attitude where people are just willing to throw all their accumulated work away. I have plenty of bad days where I don't feel like working on Eternity for a while.

I don't however log into MancuNet, corrupt the repo, and then delete all the backup copies. I don't take the ball home because I'm a spoiled brat. And that's the impression I get of these LPers. Wah, I got too many emails from youtube. Wah, I don't want to do any more LPs. Wah, wah, wah. Who gives a shit about any of that. Set up a mail filter to shift it all to the trash folder and never think about it again. But don't ruin my weekend by deleting the LP I was watching, that's total bullshit and if I could I'd call this guy on it straight to his face.

Csonicgo said:

Risen3D guys (attempted to show that they) did just that. Remember? And it was OUR fault!1111

Yeah but eventually the guy relented and came clean, so no need to keep dragging this.

Anyway, that's why I don't much like sites like Youtube where you are supposed to look at stuff online only; and while downloading the vids is possible with a bit of know-how they certainly do all they can to prevent it.

I like not having to download something and open it locally to view it, sure; but I dislike not having that option.

udderdude said:

Let's play is like watching your boring friend who's terrible at games fumble through mediocre game after game.

I have to agree. I'd much rather watch exciting speedruns performed by world class players without commentary (even if it is witty and entertaining).

I don't think I've ever seen one of these things where I found that the commentary actually added anything. It's inevitably just some guy saying a bunch of stupid/annoying crap over the top of the game that I'm trying to watch.

I can understand if the purpose of the video was to explain the rules of the game or how to play it, but FPS games rarely even need this kind of explanation anyway. I don't think there are a lot of games that do. Even then, I've made videos like this one that explain how to pull off some tricky / non-obvious maneuver without any commentary.

I guess I'm just not understanding the appeal of these videos.

In Erykk's case he actually seemed to be pretty skilled at the games he chose to play and that's one reason I enjoyed it so much. I haven't seen a lot of other Titan skill Fighter runs of DKotDC. I don't think you gotta like watching Let's Plays to get my point though, about it being shitty to pull down accounts for no good reason >_> The same thing would go, IMO, for animated series or speedruns (which has also happened, because a lot of speedrunners get the same mentality, especially when for example SDA decides to change some rules - down go all the videos!).

printz said:

Maybe they're taken down for legal reasons? Especially in animated series' case.

This account was closed by the user. Youtube uses a different message for accounts that were closed for ToS violations. However there are apparently some questions flying around in this particular case about whether the account was closed by its actual user or by a hacker >_>

I honestly wish people were not allowed to close accounts on Youtube. There's nothing worse to trying to watch someone's videos, only for them to get butthurt about some stupid bullshit and close their account.

Well that sucks cause I enjoyed watching ErykkTehDestroyer's LP of Hexen 1, 2 and Wolf 3d.

Cloud8745 (I think that's the correct name) was a pretty good LPer. His DOoM II LP was pretty funny. It seems he was at his best when he didn't know what was gonna happen next. Unfortunately, he decided to leave Youtube over silly reasons. But I guess that's fine since he was losing his touch, imo.

PRIMEVAL said:

Cloud8745 (I think that's the correct name) was a pretty good LPer. His DOoM II LP was pretty funny. It seems he was at his best when he didn't know what was gonna happen next. Unfortunately, he decided to leave Youtube over silly reasons. But I guess that's fine since he was losing his touch, imo.

I use watch him back then but sadly because of all the drama that was going on around him, I stop watching his videos especially after he close his original account.

Craigs said:

I'd rather just play the damn game myself.

It's not even that though. Sometimes i like to watch videos of games just to see how they play and whatever. Usually Let's Plays have people play the games for the first time, and usually every video starts with a minute and a half of the LPer greeting the youtube community, talking about himself or doing a recap of what he did last time. They always play really slowly and patiently, die a lot, or talk about totally uninteresting features about the game.

God i hate LPs.

LPs are more about the commentary and the player's vocalised reactions, not to impress anyone with their 1337 5k1llz.

Quasar said:

However there are apparently some questions flying around in this particular case about whether the account was closed by its actual user or by a hacker >_>

My sources point to neither. More than likely, it was this:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=6690338fc08a68ae&hl=en

This bug feature has been affecting fixing a lot of accounts as of late. This isn't the first account I've seen this happen to by any means.

This just further cements my point when I tell people to never link their YouTube and Google accounts together, no matter how much Google pesters you about it. Don't do it.

Raocow. That is all.

I also realize that this post is not actually on topic but is close enough that it could pass off as a decent spy.

I enjoy LPs for the sake of hearing someones commentary and thoughts on the game. Adds a different perspective and its interesting to see how other people go around playing the same game.

Nuxius said:

My sources point to neither. More than likely, it was this:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=6690338fc08a68ae&hl=en

This bug feature has been affecting fixing a lot of accounts as of late. This isn't the first account I've seen this happen to by any means.

This just further cements my point when I tell people to never link their YouTube and Google accounts together, no matter how much Google pesters you about it. Don't do it.

If that IS what happened it'd be nice if he could get the word somehow. Unfortunately I dunno how to contact him >_>

Xeros612 said:

LPs are more about the commentary and the player's vocalised reactions, not to impress anyone with their 1337 5k1llz.

But they suck at both :/