Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
C30N9

What happens if you finish dead?

What happens if you finish dead,e.g. the exit result is by a monster killed but he killed you first? Will it result the dead puppet thing?

Yeah a zombie start only happens when the player is marked as dead but his mobj_t is not - ie., your face is raw hamburger and you have no gun, but you can still run around and open doors and throw switches. This typically occurs when an enemy kills a voodoo doll. At least, I think I have it the right way around ;)

You are forbidden the victory if you're killed by a Doom 1 episode boss and it kills you. But you're still victorious if the Doom 2 boss death explosion incinerates you. Probably because that's supposed to be the last fight anyway.

Quasar said:

This typically occurs when an enemy kills a voodoo doll. At least, I think I have it the right way around ;)

If a voodoo doll is killed, the player dies.

The zombie effect occurs if voodoo dolls lose health and thereby push the player's displayed health down to zero (or lower).

On E2M8 and E3M8 there is a check that the player is still alive before the bossdeath causes the player to exit (some example demos here). And in "exit if health < 10%" sectors, you don't exit if you arrive already dead (zombie players exit though!). Otherwise, the player is totally free to exit maps dead - with very fortunate timing, you can even press exit switches when dead.

Some ports change this stuff. In MBF, Lee decided to introduce a compatibility option called "zombie players can exit levels". However, he screwed this up, and the effect of turning it off was that any player with zero health or less cannot exit a map (i.e. no dead or zombie exits allowed at all). That's why this option was renamed in prboom+.

Last time I checked, Zdoom didn't allow zombification at all - the player simply dies instead.

I made some zombie demos some years back. Another one can be found here.

This is actually how I ended Threshold of Pain. I made a stupid mistake and ended up getting hit with one of the proto-cyberdemon's volleys and had little health left, but up to that point I had gotten it down to under 5% so I just Kamikaze'd it with the BFG and we ended up killing each other, I still got credit for beating it but only at the cost of my life, it was pretty epic.

Moral of the story is... Never get killed right before you trigger an exit to another level, a pistol start is the last thing you want...

Psh, if I die on a map, I do a pistol start as the game intended. If i exit dead, I'll start the next map from a pistol start. Most maps are designed with this in mind.

On the flip side, I try not to exit with low health. Who knows how the next one will start?

aye! of course 100% agreed... but, should one start with 1% health or with no weapons... THAT is the question =)

Heh...I always use pistol start,even if I exit a map with full health and weapons.I like a challenge,and pistol starting provides a fair one.

Bishop said:
Moral of the story is... Never get killed right before you trigger an exit to another level, a pistol start is the last thing you want...

Not necessarily, as 100% health and 50 bullets can be better than an arsenal and extremely low health, depending on what's coming at the start of the next level. What you say may consistently apply to an avid save-gamer, as they will just reload over and over upon dying at the start of the level to come until they manage to get ammo and health, regardless of their initial condition.

Not to mention that dying would be more or less mandatory in a multi-level speed run if a shorter death-dependent route saves more time than the benefits of acquired items could cut off later. Some maps allow quick exits by "rocket jumping" to death, sliding though a low opening, for example.