Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hawkwind

udoom.iwad ?

It's just an alternative name some source ports use for the Ultimate Doom iwad, to seperate it from the registered Doom iwad.

No. The Ultimate Doom IWAD was called doom.wad, just like the regular version. Some ports can read doomu.wad but that's more to allow both Doom and The Ultimate Doom to coexist in the same directory.

I've never seen udoom.wad though.

I don't recall any such thing. I'd guess it's a common renaming of the Ultimate Doom iwad to distinguish it from the Registered Doom iwad, but nothing more than that. Or maybe some ports/tools encouraged this renaming policy?

I didn't know source ports were picky about names. ZDoom on Windows gave me some trouble with recognizing IWADs from the launcher because they weren't in allcaps, but that's about it. I just use the -iwad option in a shell script for BASH.

My ultimate doom wad file is called "udoom.wad" because it starts with a different letter than "doom2.wad" ... I don't like having any two files in one folder that start with the same letter because I love using autocomplete after typing the first character. The shareware iwad is labelled as "share.wad" and Hexen is labelled "xen.wad" to distinguish it from "heretic.wad."

Toughguy said:

I didn't know source ports were picky about names. ZDoom on Windows gave me some trouble with recognizing IWADs from the launcher because they weren't in allcaps, but that's about it. I just use the -iwad option in a shell script for BASH.

My ultimate doom wad file is called "udoom.wad" because it starts with a different letter than "doom2.wad" ... I don't like having any two files in one folder that start with the same letter because I love using autocomplete after typing the first character. The shareware iwad is labelled as "share.wad" and Hexen is labelled "xen.wad" to distinguish it from "heretic.wad."

If you use -iwad it can be named anything. By allowing it I meant it was added to the list of autodetected IWAD file names ;)

Toughguy said:

ZDoom on Windows gave me some trouble with recognizing IWADs from the launcher because they weren't in allcaps

That's surprising. File names in Windows file systems are not supposed to be case-sensitive. The IWADs aren't in allcaps either in my directory and ZDoom finds them all without problems.