Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomF4nG4mer

Adding SFX (Special Effects) to Doom Builder

I just downloaded a RainSpawner from Realm667.com and i am kinda confused on how to add that SFX to Doom Builder. Do i need to use Scripting?

I'm interested in a solution to this too, I have a couple of realm667 effects and I'm not really sure how to activate them, or which script exactly they would use.

HXCpr0n said:

I'm interested in a solution to this too, I have a couple of realm667 effects and I'm not really sure how to activate them, or which script exactly they would use.

Lets just hope some Professionals can answer our question.

Will you settle for an Amateur who likes to tinker?

Most of the instructions you need are in the wad's DOCUMENT lump - reprinted here for convenience.

Place the RainDropSpawner on your map, and use values set on the specials tab to modify it

The first argument controls it's area. 128, for example makes it a 256x256 square or 256-radius circle (See fourth argument)

The second argument controls it's frequency. The lower the number, the heavier the rainfall

The third argument controls whether or not it plays it's ambient sound. 0 will play the sound, 1 will not

The fourth argument controls the area type. 0 is a square, 1 is a circle

Your map will need to be in "Doom in Hexen" format in order to set thing arguments (which are under the Action tab), you'll also have to give the spawner a number (where it says "//DoomEdNum on this" in the DECORATE script) so DoomBuilder can identify it.

The effect is fairly subtle, so I suggest you start with a low number for the second argument (frequency) and experiment with light levels and flats to see what works best for you.

Ya, if you want the easy simple way, Do what Grey Ghost said. I reccomend it.
A more advanced way to do it is make a copy of your "Zdoom(DoomHexen)" DB2 config, rename it with a different name, Open it and modify the title, then type the new actor info in the appropraite place. That's what I do at least, when i'm making a wad with a lot of custom things.
DB2 config files also have the "include" option making that much easier.

GreyGhost said:

Will you settle for an Amateur who likes to tinker?

Most of the instructions you need are in the wad's DOCUMENT lump - reprinted here for convenience.Your map will need to be in "Doom in Hexen" format in order to set thing arguments (which are under the Action tab), you'll also have to give the spawner a number (where it says "//DoomEdNum on this" in the DECORATE script) so DoomBuilder can identify it.

The effect is fairly subtle, so I suggest you start with a low number for the second argument (frequency) and experiment with light levels and flats to see what works best for you.

Um i just did everything you said and i tested the map the rain sound is there but no rain effect is coming down

Like I said, it's fairly subtle. Even with a frequency setting of 0 (constant rain) it looks like a spawner only delivers about 17 drops-per-second, so if you want a deluge that covers a sizeable area you'll need a grid of spawners - each covering a small area.

Yeah i just inserted LOTS of Rainspawners all around the sector and it just started to become Lagg when i tested it so i just deleted every Spawners.I am actually a noob at Doom Editing so i do not know how to create maps very well so i could use some help.

Okay my left and right linedefs are 960 while the up and down linedefs are 1536

Sounds like you had too many spawners.

Try this - four environments, each with a different rainfall pattern you can play with. You could also experiment with larger raindrop scale values (0.4 to 0.6) if you're finding the drops hard to spot.

GreyGhost said:

Sounds like you had too many spawners.

Try this - four environments, each with a different rainfall pattern you can play with. You could also experiment with larger raindrop scale values (0.4 to 0.6) if you're finding the drops hard to spot.

-solved-

I'm using the rain spawner from Realm667 under the assumption that it's classified as a thing, yet I can't find it anywhere when I load it as a resource?? I'm new to this, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm doing something wrong, any help is appreciated :)

f i remember correctly the rain gfx is too small to be visible. you need via slade3 or something make rain gfx bigger. hope this help

The rainspawner found on Realm667 is both cumbersome to set up and extremely frame hungry. A much better ckoice is j5_wfx.zip by JonnyFive. And he conveniently included a pdf on how to use it.