• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sharifsalah

md2 models

Having been playing jdoom, with cheb's md2 models, here

and abbs weapons pack, here

I have come to the conclusion that md2 models are the way forward. They look absolutely stunning - especially the rocket launcher on abbspack. Sure, all the work you designers have put into sprites is not wasted, there is always the -nomd2 parameter, but these md2 models really look impressive

This post is basically just to give you designers food for thought, as to whether they would like to start designing md2 models. Sure they are harder to design, but well worth it in the end in my opinion.

Doom will never be Quake if it is played with md2 models. Totally different mood and gameplay, there is nothing to compare to Doom.

Please let me know what you think....and you designers, what do you think, will you give it a thought?

I'd have to agree with you on the MD2 thing-they do look nice. BTW, I wonder when JHeretic will get full MD2 support? There's only a handful of MD2's, sadly.....

Yeah, the newest MD2 pack looks really impressive...I also have them...but I do not use them often, as you may already now: I like it pure :)

Yeah, Heretic & Hexen need more MD2 models. Apparently MD2 artist aren't fans of these games...

To make your own MD2's, it's going to take a lot of time, practice, and patience. You'll some kind of editing program that allows you to create some MD2's. Do you have the skillz necessary?

I've made two md2's! :) Not for doom ports, but it's the same format anywho. :) It's not hard to do, unless you can't make models in general, then you'll have one hell of a time. :)

I'm actually thinking of making higher detail md2's for some ports, as the current ones really don't push my computer. I wanna make models that'll make my computer cry for mercy! BWA HA HA HA!!!!! ....ahem, carry on. ^_^;

You should re-do the DOOM enemy MD2's, they could use some tweeking. Actually, it'd be nice if someone would do kind of a new spin on them, so they aren't just re-creations of the sprites.

Now THAT would be interesting. :) I'm already working on a new kind of Imp. It looks kinda the same so far, but I was thinking that it could have large blade like bones sticking out of it's elbows, with blood and a little gore sticking on em for added efect. :D FUN! ^_^

Java guy check out milkshape 3d
http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/ms3d/

it's a modeling toollike 3d studio max but not as advanced
and geared towards the creation of models for games like quake and unreal. it supports md2 md3 etc. and even lets you incorporate 3d studio max files i believe to then convert to some game format.
You could probably use 3d studiomax or lightwave and use some plugin to convert it to md2 but unless you get some pirated version (im just saying you could but you shouldnt) or have lots of money i suggest you get milkshape.

Uh, MilkShape is only a trial version, and it expires after about 30 days. I personally don't like it, although I am yet to find a good md2 editor. [whine]I WANT 3D STUDIO MAX, ARGH[/whine]

Hmm, I can't wait for md2 and mdl models so I may porgram a viewer and have it export graphics from 8 angles and patelize in doom format. Maybe ill do this in c++. Now I just have to figure how to match to the nearest colors in the doom palette.

Originally posted by Derrick
Hmm, I can't wait for md2 and mdl models so I may porgram a viewer and have it export graphics from 8 angles and patelize in doom format. Maybe ill do this in c++. Now I just have to figure how to match to the nearest colors in the doom palette.

There are already programs that allow you to view the model, rotate it whatever way you want, take a picture, and the palette can be done in PSP with little effort.

BTW,

porgram

patelize

It must be a real pain in the ass debugging your code eh? ;-)

I just want to speed up the process some. So I just hit one button and the program does the rest. I did find some source code to a viewer so I'll just expand that.

Also ikant spewl, it waz early in da morn