Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Another Doom WAD idea: playing without fight

I have an idea, which is similar some already exist maps, but although I've never seen any similar complex WADs.

My idea is the next: in unknown reason, one morning you are the only human. Everybody has been disappeared. The place doesn't matter, it should be a far planet colony, should be Earth, etc. However, you don't fight any monsters! Because there are nothing! No human, no monsters, you are alone! Of course, after the MAPXX, you will be meet with some monsters, because a WAD witthout monsters might be boring.

I think it's a good idea. You can walk alone in dark tunnels, forests, empty cities, caves, big outdoor ares (desert or wastelands), or if you want; everything is silent, and you are listening a slow music with low volume (like Waiting Romero for play from Doom 2 [MAP18,MAP27]), or maybe you don't get music! I think, the things may give a special feeling.

And whats your opinion?

EDIT:

There are some examples for understanding my ideas (thanks for helping)

Awakening
Phocas Island 2
Remain III
1Monster MAP24 (The One God)
NDCP2 MAP19 (Darkseed)
Scythe 2 MAP16 (Mr.X)

I used to be a belligerent member of the "games are art" crowd, but some strong posts by Myk convinced me that a game's functional purpose is of primary importance. Games are packaged challenges, and any game where you don't actually do anything would be a tad incomplete.

A level without monsters could be considered as a game's intro sequence, however, or something other than a game altogether - "interactive digital architecture," perhaps.

I guess it depends on how long the alone part of the wad is and how well you can depict it without making the player think he's playing a deathmatch wad on single player.

I think about levels which contains traps. You won't fight with monsters, your enemy is the environment itself!

On levels with out enemies, have some traps.
I also think that there should be new sound effects and maybe ambient music if your not going to us the original music.

Maybe, if you make it a mini-wad, with lets just say 6 maps, you can have puzzles and traps and whatever in the first three maps. Then you play the same three maps again, but in reversed order (like, you have to get back to the beginning) but this time you begin at the exit, there are monsters, some things has changed (to meke it less boring, more surprising etc)and so on. One example can be that a bridge you crossed on the way before has collapsed, and you have to find another way around, and stuff like that.

I dunno.

darkreaver said:

Maybe, if you make it a mini-wad, with lets just say 6 maps, you can have puzzles and traps and whatever in the first three maps. Then you play the same three maps again, but in reversed order (like, you have to get back to the beginning) but this time you begin at the exit, there are monsters, some things has changed (to meke it less boring, more surprising etc)and so on. One example can be that a bridge you crossed on the way before has collapsed, and you have to find another way around, and stuff like that.

I dunno.

I think thats a great idea! Like something was damaged or you couldn't do anything but the only way out is the way you came back in, like
backtrack on gba (but was released on pc so its a port)

Check out map19 of NDCP2 (I think it was called darkseed), it's a pretty good map in terms of having not that many monsters and the main difficulty is the cube-like traps within the environment.

Some of my favorite maps use the 'no-monsters' element...

the grandaddy of 'em all is the first level of Lutz's Inferno

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=9188

E5M4 of Xaser's lost episode

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15700

and of course the best of all, my Awakening level

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16043

The first level of Inferno is the only one that maintains the theme for the entire level, and I don't know of any that last beyond that. I do like the idea a bit, but you'd have to be a pretty interesting mapper to really make it worth it. The idea of having to revisit the three levels with monsters is good. I would make it so that hell has taken over at least somewhat, theme-wise, and make things changed around a bit. Then if the player remembers certain original aspects it may lead to secrets. yaknow, stuff like that.

NT

Jumpmaze (mostly monster free) has given me my best multiplayer Doom experiences. It's probably beause I went without jumping in Doom for more than a decade, and most advanced engine mapsets don't put much focus on jumping, all that pent up energy can finally be released (and Skulltag's bunnyhopping and higher aircontrol give it more responsiveness).

I would be interested in seeing a vanilla "gap jumping" map, squeezing even more into vanilla's extra 0.5 dimension. I remember playing at least one vanilla map that let you climb up a room full of crates, with many layers and gaps to cross.

Joshy said:

Check out map19 of NDCP2 (I think it was called darkseed), it's a pretty good map in terms of having not that many monsters and the main difficulty is the cube-like traps within the environment.

Oh, yes, I know this level and I love it! Just I forgot to say... Darkseed is a perfect example about my ideas.

NaturalTvventy said:

Some of my favorite maps use the 'no-monsters' element...

the grandaddy of 'em all is the first level of Lutz's Inferno

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=9188

E5M4 of Xaser's lost episode

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15700

and of course the best of all, my Awakening level

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16043

The first 2 links I don't know, I'll try maybe at night, when I'll have free time; I tried Awakening, and also a great example, although there is an extremely detailed level, I think.

Katamori said:

I think about levels which contains traps. You won't fight with monsters, your enemy is the environment itself!

Two maps of that type that spring to mind, with traps and puzzles, are Strain map21 and Eye of the Beholder map03. Both have at least one monster, though they aren't the main challenge.

I'm not sure it's a great idea, though the occasional map of that type can be a refreshing change from the normal. Though those who like the idea of playing without fighting probably prefer Pacifist-style.