Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
999cop

Princess Margaret has died in UK

Princess Margaret, the younger sister of the Queen, has died "peacefully in her sleep", Buckingham Palace has announced. She was 71.
In a statement, the Palace said: "The Queen, with great sadness, has asked for the following announcement to be made immediately.

"Her beloved sister, Princess Margaret, died peacefully in her sleep this morning at 6.30am in the King Edward VII Hospital."

The statement continued: "Her children, Lord Linley and Lady Sarah Chatto, were at her side. Princess Margaret suffered a further stroke yesterday afternoon.

"She developed cardiac problems during the night and was taken from Kensington Palace to the King Edward VII Hospital at 2.30am.

"Lord Linley and Lady Sarah were with her and the Queen was kept fully informed throughout the night. Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, and other members of the Royal Family are being informed."

The Queen returned to Buckingham Palace from Windsor after the announcement of Princess Margaret's death.

The 101-year-old Queen Mother, who is recovering from a persistent chesty cold, stayed on at Sandringham House.

Lord Snowdon, Princess Margaret's former husband, said: "Both Lord Linley and Lady Sarah are in close touch and informed me about the Princess's death early this morning. We are all extremely saddened."

The Prince of Wales, who is staying with friends in Chatsworth, Derbyshire, is said to be "deeply saddened" by the news, as were his sons Princes William and Harry.

A spokesman for St James's Palace said: "The Prince of Wales is deeply saddened by the death of Princess Margaret. He was informed immediately."

There were no immediate plans for the 53-year-old Prince to return to London. Prince Harry is currently at Eton, while William is spending the weekend at the family's Gloucestershire residence, Highgrove.

Speaking on his plane on his way to Sierra Leone , the Prime Minister Tony Blair said: "I'm deeply saddened to hear of the death of Princess Margaret.

"My thoughts are with the Queen, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother and the rest of the Royal Family at this time."

Other party leaders, including Iain Duncan Smith and Charles Kennedy added their tributes.

Crowds gathered at Buckingham Palace, where the flag was flying at half-mast.

A notice, which announced the Princess's passing was attached to the palace gates and drew a steady stream of tourists. The mood of visitors was sombre, with many only learning of the death when they arrived at the palace.

Princess Margaret, 71, suffered at least two previous strokes in recent years.

She was last seen in public before Christmas at Princess Alice, the Dowager Duchess of Gloucester's 100th birthday party.

Margaret was confined to a wheelchair and wore heavy dark glasses, her sight having been affected by a stroke. Her face also appeared puffy, probably the effects of medication.

The royal death will cast a shadow over the Queen's Golden Jubilee.

On Wednesday, Accession Day, the Queen marked the 50th anniversary of her coming to the throne.

A nationwide tour and a full programme of Jubilee celebrations is planned for later in the year.

Later this month, on February 18, the Queen is due to start a visit to Jamaica, New Zealand and Australia. There is no word on whether the Royal tour will be cancelled or delayed.

The Queen Mother is exactly that: The mother of the Queen. She married the old King, and her daughter became Queen exactly 50 years ago.

/me raises a glass for Princess Margaret and the people of Britain.

God speed, Maggie.

the proper short term for Margaret is "Peggy"

God speed, Maggie.

No its not. Anyway, its sad to hear that. Americans, Australians, and Britians most of all should feel very sad, if you kiwis and yanks have forgotten, we came from England.

God speed, Maggie.

No its not. Anyway, its sad to hear that. Americans, Australians, and Britians most of all should feel very sad, if you kiwis and yanks have forgotten, we came from England.

I'm Italian! I came from Italy. I didn't even come from England or Australia so I don't know why. Although when the pope dies I will be very sad because he is an italian too. I think.

I'm Italian! I came from Italy. I didn't even come from England or Australia so I don't know why. Although when the pope dies I will be very sad because he is an italian too. I think.

Actually, JP2 is Polish.

Although when the pope dies I will be very sad because he is an italian too. I think.

When the pope dies I will rejoice.

Although when the pope dies I will be very sad because he is an italian too. I think.

When the pope dies I will rejoice.

Oh, well I just found out he was polish, ah well, I guess now I will be glad when he dies. I'll rejoice too.

The bigger point is:
WHO GIVES A FLYING FUCK!
FUCK THE MONARCHY!
WHAT DID SHE EVER DO FOR ME THAT ROYAL SCUM BASTARD!
MY GRANDPA'S BUDGY DIED YOU BASTARDS!

Pfft, after the show of support and sympathy from the U.S.'s European allies after Sept. 11, I will hardly ever poke fun at any of England's losses or France's or Germany's, etc.

Best wishes to the British.

Oh, well I just found out he was polish, ah well, I guess now I will be glad when he dies. I'll rejoice too.

Yes. And Nostradamus predicts only two more Popes after this one. More rejoicing!

Pfft, after the show of support and sympathy from the U.S.'s European allies after Sept. 11, I will hardly ever poke fun at any of England's losses or France's or Germany's, etc.

Why would that make a difference anyway?

deathz0r; Margaret did pay taxes, you dumbass. Following amendments to the Royal list a few years ago she would have had to pay tax on anything not related to official royal business.

Well, people over here will be sad, but a lot of people knew it was coming. Margaret never really had the effect on later generations of the public she perhaps deserved. Still, a death in the royal family still affects what few royalists are left among us. God Bless Her.

Hey why did my post have to be edited. That was the only time you will see me blatantly try to start a flame war on doomworld. That was a once in a life time opertunatiy!

A human died. Shocking. You don't see all the other 30.000 dead ones today getting as much coverage as this.

/me and the rest of my Canadian brothers raise a glass

Rest in peace maggie (not being sarcastic)

yes.

/me raises his mug of coffee

A human died. Shocking. You don't see all the other 30.000 dead ones today getting as much coverage as this.

this one one famous, Zaldron.

The Queen Mother is exactly that: The mother of the Queen. She married the old King, and her daughter became Queen exactly 50 years ago.

And if you are from a certain school of thought you would believe the Queen Mother is not the nice 101 yeal old lady - "The Nation's Mum" - but a power hungry manipulator who, on the death of her husband, invented the title and position of "Queen Mother" to ensure she still had her finger firmly in the royal pie, and could retain as much power and influence as she ever had. Further more, you would also believe "the nice old lady" image has been carefully crafted by her as part of her media manipulation, and is very much at odds with her real personality. At least that's what a TV documentary last year seemed to be claiming. Personally, I neither know nor care.

Indeed.

Thankfully I live in Scotland. North of the Border here, the Royals are seen as far less important, and far less significant than in England. Most people regard this year (Golden Jubilee year) as significant only because we get an extra days holiday as a result. God bless you M'am.

the Royals are seen as far less important,

Ahhh, hence the fuss over this guy Stuart, Charles Edward, called The Young Pretender, The Young Chevalier, and Bonnie Prince Charlie (1720-88), claimant to the British throne who led the Scottish Highland army in the Forty-five Rebellion.A Scottish hero and...Robert I, the Bruce (1274-1329)
Robert Bruce is surely the greatest of all the great Scottish heroes,
and don't get me started on the Stuarts :)

this one one famous, Zaldron.

That doesn't make you any more important, actually. I hate it when newspapers and news channels dedicate entire HOURS to someone's death instead of covering actual World problems.

Take for example our national crisis. People are protesting everywhere, everyday, everytime. And yet, what's on the news? A fag who killed himself a couple of days ago because his wife left him.

Ahhh, hence the fuss over this guy Stuart, Charles Edward, called The Young Pretender...

Never understood the fuss over him. He came to this country after many years absence, with an army of Highlanders and Irish, certainly not representing the wishes of the Scottish nation (if there is such a thing) as a whole. Called upon traditional ties and loyalties, caused a whole bunch of trouble, had a fair degree of success, but when things went pear shaped he buggered off again. Couldn't even speak the local language (Gaelic or English) as I understand. Although he had very little national support at the time, a good few years after he disappeared he started getting all sorts of songs and ballads written about him, making him the National hero he never was at the time.

Robert I, the Bruce (1274-1329) Robert Bruce is surely the greatest of all the great Scottish heroes,

True, he was as close to a National King and hero the Scots ever had, but we are going back 700 years now. Quite why the Scots adopted a song about him as the national anthem (only a few years ago) I'll never know. It's crap (IMO) and deals with events of 700 years previous. I thought "Scotland the Brave" was a better tune. Apparently so did lots of people from outwith the central belt of Scotland, but the central belt always gets its way. A national anthem that lauds a victory over the English, no matter how long ago, is pretty typical of the Scottish psyche I guess. In fact, I guess the reason "The Bruce" is still held in high regard is because he fought the English, and won - not that common an occurence. Mind you, so did Mel Gibson, another Scottish hero.

All you have to do is have a cursory glance over Scottish history to realise the Scots have repeatedly been their own worst enemies: Frequently working against themselves with the personal interests of various Lairds overruling any form of common sense that may have tried to prevail, often costing lives, land and dignity. History teaches us that historically a true Scottish nation is a fallacy.

The modern concept of Scotland as a nation is something that can really only be traced back to Victorian times, and the work of the likes of Sir Walter Scott. The best efforts were made to ensure there was a proud rough and ready nation sitting at the North end of the British Isles, where they ate haggis and shortbread, drank whisky, and pranced about in the heather singing about it all. Why? Because Victoria liked the Idea I guess. The fact that this nation had never really existed before was irrelevant. Nowadays all you get is short sighted nationalistic pish being quoted about the Scottish people and Nation, by Scottish people, that just does not reflect the historic reality. No matter, it has become a reality anyway - whether true or not.

And the catalyst for all this new nationhood. The same as it has always been - "The Auld Enemy" - England. Which brings me back to my comment about the Scottish National psyche, so I'll leave it there.

ditto.

Yeah, I do give my regrets to jolly old Britain and all, but there are more important things going on.