Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mathey bu

baron of hell high definition, still working...

mathey bu said:

That's why you need to use glasses

I already use glasses!And you know why?Because of how much I love this game,its gameplay and its sprites.It's my opinion and you won't be able to change it.I might change it if you do something good enough,y'know?

DooMAD said:

i have did HD frames too

(Meganormous Ouchface)

Just curious, did you use a SuperEagle5x scaler to do that one, or was it just the Super5x? IMO the Eagle has slightly better edge blending for similar colors.

I'd post a project that's being done to make a HD version of Sonic 2, but the sites down right now. Instead, I'll just link to a WIP picture of it:

http://qsf5.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/sonic_2_hd_techdemo2_screenshot_x4_2.png

This is the best example I can think of for an HD remake. The site itself has some good pointers for making upgraded sprites, but it pertains more to a cartoony style than what Doom would want for sure. Still, I'm surprised no really good attempts have been make HD sprites, especially since the textures have already been done. 3D models just don't have the same feeling, it takes a lot away from the game.

TrueDude said:

Still, I'm surprised no really good attempts have been make HD sprites,

Are you talking about Doom? If so, it's because there's a metric shitton of sprites in total. Any serious attempt would need a dedicated, skilled and patient spriting team willing to spend ages on the project.

I have nothing against those baron sprites, and to be honest, I really like the clean and smooth style. Keep it up! It surely looks great when it`s animated.

Cell said:

. That Mario-like character... meh.

I actually liked that one very much (if you are refering to BlueEagle's post)!

hervoheebo said:

Are you talking about Doom? If so, it's because there's a metric shitton of sprites in total. Any serious attempt would need a dedicated, skilled and patient spriting team willing to spend ages on the project.

On that note, around 50 people are working on that above remake, and so far, with about two years of work under their belt, have only gotten two zones done. It's a community project.

Also, the page is back up. Here's a link.

10/10, DooMAD.

At any rate, getting good quality HD sprites is something that would have to be done by hand, and that's a very time-consuming process.

An example: I'm no artist so my scale of difficulty is all sorts of skewed, but I did an partial HD sprite of sorts a while back, for funsies:

Note that it's not the full frame and the way the eyes are stylized make it look more like a painting (which wouldn't be appropriate for an actual in-game sprite), but it still took hours to do. Though a real artist would be able to crank out the same (or better) quality of work in a fraction of the time, imagine doing it for every Doom sprite ever... yikes. ;)

I do want to "frame" that image and stick it in a map somewhere, though. Maybe do some more of other monsters, too, for fun decoration. But I'll be damned if I ever do more than one "frame" for each. :P

Also, I do realize that the teeth suck. I need to fix that. :P

This is why HD Sprites for doom will never work.

The sprites are such a low res that putting any more "detail" into them is purely speculation. In a way, our brains usually fill in the blanks for us. Take for instance: the imp if the teeth are made pointy, it seems to get uglier. In fact, any extra "Detail" always sees pasted on, and the monsters lose their charm almost instantly. Adding "detail" now would just create... this very series of responses. People will disagree on what "details" you added, whether the baron's wearing chaps or that's skin, or if it's fur, or whatever. Does the revenant wear pants? We still can't even solve that one.

(Our brains are amazing tools at making sense out of as little visual data as possible. Computers cant even compare. To see what I mean, squint at the baron original sprite (magnified a little, of course). If you try to make out the details, you'll notice how they "show up" as if from nowhere. They really aren't there, your brain's putting them there. Hell, recent studies have indicated the brain may be showing us what it thinks will happen in the future from visual data, not what it's receiving at that exact moment. That's hardcore.)

@Xaser.

Dude, that looks awesome.

@doomad good work, but try use 4x sprites!

Xaser, contact me! you have a good ability to do sprites too!

hehe, look at my baron sprites, i only took 1-2 hour to do a frame!
you are using the pencil with some difficulties, don't worry!
i can help you, first what pencil configuration are you using?

if you want to join us:

http://thedoomuniverse.phpbb3now.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=164&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

another frame did:

who don't like, i don't care, i will continue!
That hand is perfect, also, the face is a little deformed, but this isn't a problem with the animation running!

I gotta say, this new thing you're trying out actually is quite an improvement over before. If you can do this to all of the sprites that would be pretty awesome.

Just a suggestion, try to make his hands look more like they're actually on fire, it kinda looks like he's holding slime as it is right now.

The thing is, how will you do the former humans, especially the commando who has 8 rotations per frame?

mathey bu said:

hahahahahahahahahahahaahahahah... ha hahahahaha...
this is very very bad and i prefer the original image! this low hd is terrible...

You did not just insult Cave Story.

Bye bye, respect for you...