Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bishop

Murder player + level exit

Ugh... Is there any effective asshack or trick to kill the player and exit the level at the same time using Doom 1? Can't seem to find one...

The only way I tried it was to teleport the player into a "VodooDoll", inside a sector with special: "-10%/20% health + exit level"
it worked... But I entered the next level with 0% health and still able to walk around like a ghost (but not be able to shoot anything, and monsters couldn't see me) THAT... was exremley funny lmao, but not quite what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions? =)

This seems to work with chocolate doom (you may want to test it with other ports).
When the player enters the exit area a crusher crushes some barrels which propel a voodoo doll across an exit line.

Nice trick! thanks
Doom.exe works like a charm.
PrBoom doesn't seem to work when complevel is set to default (whatever that is)
Zdoom... don't count on it. (not matter what compatmode I use) The crusher won't blow up the barrels. and when I blow them up myself, the dead vodoodoll won't trigger the exit.

There are some pitfalls here. Almost any situation with a voodoo doll being damaged holds the risk of zombification - if the player has low health, for instance. So you'd want the voodoo doll to pick up as much health as it loses while exiting.

Also, the player's armour transfers to the voodoo doll - type IDFA in 4mer's map, and you won't exit. And what if the player is invulnerable? These things can be tweaked to make it more foolproof, but unless you have very tight control over the player's state (e.g. force him to pick up a megasphere just before exiting), there are things that can go wrong. I'd suggest putting the voodoo doll very close to the exit line and pushing it over it with just the tiniest blast.

I'm surprised by what you said about teleporting the player into a voodoo doll in that sector type. The effect that should have is that the player starts the next map at 1% health. Was there anything funny going on? (Two voodoo dolls telefragged? Were you using a port that changes this behaviour?) Anyway, this isn't a solution, but I am puzzled by what you say.

BTW, you can use a Romero head in a Doom1 level. See this thread. Or you can use dehacked to give the relevant code pointer to something else.

Some more discussion on this topic here.

Bishop said:

PrBoom doesn't seem to work when complevel is set to default (whatever that is)

MBF introduced a compat option that prevented dead players from exiting (bad idea). Prboom still has this as its default option. Prboom-plus (recommended) doesn't, but this all depends on the settings chosen. If you want emulation of vanilla behaviour, you need to use a complevel (3 for Ultimate Doom).

Perhaps simplest solution: teleport the player into a voodoo doll (in a normal sector) and a barrel, whose explosion propels another voodoo doll over an exit line. The player is thoroughly dead, meaning no chance of a zombie outcome.

Since I'm using Boom feautres, and using any vanilla complevel disables Boom specials, what I tried won't work anyway.
I'll just try my luck with the Romero head, since it seems simpler and more failproof (with any port) If that fails i'll try propelling a voodoo doll into the exit and killing the player at the same time. But I'm still worried that crushing a barrel won't work In ZDoom

Actually that ghost effect only happened once out of the 5 times I tried it afterwards. Then it was 1% on the next level. Strange.

Bishop: if what you mean is that your map will require a Boom-compatible port, then that makes things a lot easier: you can put the voodoo doll on a conveyor belt and arrange things so it crosses an exit linedef just after you have killed the player.

To test if it works in prboom+, use -complevel 9 to emulate Boom behaviour.

But if it is intended as a vanilla-compatible map, but you still want to ensure it works in Zdoom and are worried about crushing a barrel, then you can have the player telefrag the barrel. That will surely work.

Maybe it would simplify things if you stated exactly which exe(s) your map is intended to work with.

It would be cool if the wad works with any Boom compatible port. Doom.exe, Chocolate, or any other vanilla port wouldn't work in any case due to limitations. So this includes ZDoom since I know a lot of people use it. Atm I'm playtesting everything using PrBoom+ (then eventually some other ports)

Actually the mechanism I already had in place involves crushing a single barrel and pushing a vodoo doll into the exit right after the player gets telefragged. Actually, this worked in ZDoom perfectly. The only issue at hand was not exiting the map using any MBF-related complevels in PrBoom+, 11 in particular. This didn't matter if the exiting voodoo doll was dead or not. I think it checks the actual player.

I just hope most people remember to change their complevels when playing it...

Bishop said:
Doom.exe, Chocolate, or any other vanilla port wouldn't work in any case due to limitations.

If you mean VPOs and such, we get "limit removing" vanilla with Budko's Doom+ limit-raising hack, with the similar Chocolate variant Strawberry Doom and of course with PrBoom/+ working under vanilla behavior.