Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomF4nG4mer

History of Commander Keen in Doom 2

When i came over to map32 (Grosse) I saw some hanging cartoon characters named Commander Keen and i am just wondering why did the Id Software put Commander Keen to Doom 2?

I think I read somewhere that Adrian Carmack hated Commander Keen and that he created the sprites for that Easter Egg because he wanted the little bastard to die a brutal painful death.

Adrian Carmack is responsible for how bloody and violent doom is. Tom Hall was more interested in goofy cartoony space alien games. Kinda like chex quest.

Tom was also interested in realistic and complex settings. Which ultimately was what made him and Id part ways.

That's always more or less the theory I'd heard, is that it was id breaking once and for all from the age of Commander Keen and Rescue Rover and games like those, and embracing their new age of dark, violent gaming.

Just in case the original poster is unaware, Commander Keen was an earlier game series made by id.

So it is rather consistent to have a Commander Keen element if you have already decided to have Wolfenstein 3D themes.

40oz said:

I think I read somewhere that Adrian Carmack hated Commander Keen and that he created the sprites for that Easter Egg because he wanted the little bastard to die a brutal painful death.

Adrian Carmack is responsible for how bloody and violent doom is. Tom Hall was more interested in goofy cartoony space alien games. Kinda like chex quest.

so Adrian Carmack is the Answer?

They put them in because they predicted people would use them in pwads years later, and that additionally people would complain about said use much like the SS Nazis. Those jokesters.

footman said:

Because id tosses cameos into every game.

-Duke Nukem: Theres a secret in one of the level with a dead DooM Marine, with a message of a sort saying "Thats one Doomed marine".

^ such and such example of what Id did.

Mithral_Demon said:

-Duke Nukem: Theres a secret in one of the level with a dead DooM Marine, with a message of a sort saying "Thats one Doomed marine".

Wait a sec...you have been a member of this site for four years and you still don't know ID didn't make Duke Nukem?!

Mithral_Demon said:

Ohhh boy :P

Mithral_Demon said:

-Duke Nukem: Theres a secret in one of the level with a dead DooM Marine, with a message of a sort saying "Thats one Doomed SPACE marine".

Didn't id file a lawsuit or something similar after this?

I thought it was pretty much ID Software's way of saying to everyone that Commander Keen is dead, meaning that they weren't ever going to make the planned Universe is Toast trilogy.

And yes, ID Software did file a lawsuit over the dead marine in Duke Nukem 3D.

Madgunner said:

I thought it was pretty much ID Software's way of saying to everyone that Commander Keen is dead, meaning that they weren't ever going to make the planned Universe is Toast trilogy.

Quite a shame. BTW, a guy called Ceilick have already started and almost finished it - Battle of the Brains (ep. 9) is planned to be released in summer, 2011.

footman said:

Yup. The Dopefish from Commander Keen is an easter egg in Quake as well.

footman said:

There's no cameos in Doom. And none that I know of in Wolfenstein 3d.

I would go with what 40oz said, as there's no indication the rest of id wanted to say anything against Keen. As for Adrian, he disliked cute kiddie stuff in general, not just Keen. That's why he beheaded a cuddly rabbit at the end of DOOM.

kristus said:
There's no cameos in Doom.

Yeah, although, arguably, there was a subtle one until it got removed; the swastika in E1M4.

kristus said:

There's no cameos in Doom. And none that I know of in Wolfenstein 3d.

The secret Pac-man level in E3 of Wolfenstein 3D is a cameo, although it's not an id cameo. I'm not sure any of their pre-Wolf3D games had any cameos in them...I'm pretty sure Commander Keen doesn't.

myk said:

As for Adrian, he disliked cute kiddie stuff in general, not just Keen. That's why he beheaded a cuddly rabbit at the end of DOOM.

I bet this is the answer.

myk said:

Yeah, although, arguably, there was a subtle one until it got removed; the swastika in E1M4.

I thought I remembered that being in E1M4. When along the line did that get removed? I remember it in the Shareware release mostly.