Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cyberturtle

What multiplayer port to use for doom/doom 2?

I'm not sure which one to choose. ZDeamon sounds like it has a lot of cheap people and skulltag looks cool. So which of the few ones should I choose, or should I just stay out of it all together?

cyberturtle said:
ZDeamon sounds like it has a lot of cheap people and skulltag looks cool.

Yeah, I tend to use ZDaemon, mainly to join CTF games. Haven't used Skulltag much lately but it can be more solid for coop, especially if the maps are very big. Odamex is cool but doesn't have many people on it overall.

Asking will mostly get you our biased answers. Just try them all with Internet Doom Explorer. With it you can get a list of the servers on all or any of the three online engines.

Skulltag. More players, more compatible wads, easy to use. Besides I'm not always looking for 100% accurate vanilla play.

A non-biased answer from somebody who has played all three:

Skulltag
+ Tons of editing features.
+ Other eyecandy like OpenGL support, uncapped framerate, etc.
+ Pretty good netcode.

- Full of idiots and little kids.
- It's a struggle for even prominent members to get a deathmatch / public CTF going.
- Many people come there for the sole purpose of playing undoomish class-based mods such as Megaman DM, GvH, Jumpmaze, or AoW2 (Yeah, I know a lot of those aren't played anymore), or they make badly-done remakes of modern games.

ZDaemon
+ Great, almost lagless netcode even with 200+ ping.
+ Pretty easy to get a game going.
+ Quite a few serious players play here.

- Some bugs have been ignored for years such as packet loss problems or your HUD face background always being an ungodly bright shade of green.
- I haven't noticed it, but a lot of other people have reported that the Administration on ZDaemon is full of Nazis.
- Not updated that often, but this is probably to sort out any potential exploits since ZDaemon devs put a heavy emphasis on preventing cheating.

Odamex
+ Perfect oldschool gameplay, even sporting (IIRC) vanilla doom demo compatability.
+ Completely open source, if you have C++ experience, you could submit a feature or bugfix yourself.
+ Pretty much runs on everything.

- Not entirely stable yet, but it keeps getting better.
- Extremely small community, very rare to see any games going on at all.
- Some devs are getting lives or have lost interest in Odamex, from what I've heard. That's fixable, though.

Wagi said:
non-biased

Nah. I mean, I agree with many of the things you say in your post, but could debate others or the emphasis placed on some. One can try to be objective but that's not the same thing. Objectivity comes from the crossing and perceptions of different opinions, and is best absorbed first hand; directly from the sources as opposed to from someone trying to brandish it. Nothing wrong with giving your general and learned comparison, which was well done, but it's biased too :p

That's "non-biased" as in I don't really favor, or have a reason to promote, one port over/under the others. I never said I wasn't opinionated. ;]

Ive always liked Skulltag personally. I have Zdoom as well but i dont use it.

Like myk said....its better for coop. I LAN a lot and Skulltag works flawlessly.

Buuuut like Wagi said there is a lot of undoomish mods on there....

Skulltag is also a little simpler to work methinks.