Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anima Zero

Epic 2 demos [-complevel 2]

Cheers Tatsurd, nice to get some feedback once in a while. I'll try my best at least to fill the rest of the max table; this is a great wad and deserves a full table for sure. Here's another one of those maps that is really different (in regards to difficulty at least) without fast monters:

Map24 UV-Max in 11:59

e224-1159.zip

Nice run, and speaking of lost souls and demons making the same noise, I had once thought a zombie was missing and it turned out to be a mancubus and it killed me in a max attempt before :P

if you're gonna be using zdoom, it's probably worth your while to add a DECORATE file that uncounts lost souls from kill%

ACTOR FixLostSoul : LostSoul replaces LostSoul
{
        -COUNTKILL
}
Make that a .txt file and set it to autoload in your zdoom.ini, makes things a lot easier.

They're not valid UV max records, because you're using a non-standard port. Zdoom demos are allowed both here and at the DSDA for archival purposes, but they don't really count towards official records unless the wad itself is Zdoom-based. Seeing how much you use the berserk fist in your demos, you gain a massive advantage over the real game, because Zdoom makes punching extremely easy. Being on top of the table doesn't equate to a record.

I also noticed the smashed monsters dont block your movement like in normal ports either. once imp or specters dies, you instantly can move past them. while normally thats unlikely happening, this doesnt really give u a supreme advantage, but it sums up.

noentheless, some demos are wonderful executed!

blob1024 said:

I also noticed the smashed monsters dont block your movement like in normal ports either. once imp or specters dies, you instantly can move past them. while normally thats unlikely happening, this doesnt really give u a supreme advantage, but it sums up.

noentheless, some demos are wonderful executed!

I agree with this. Just because it's a ZDoom demo, doesn't mean it should be considered not a record or even a speedrun.

ZDoom runs can be well-executed, but I agree with dew that they do not count as valid records for wads that do not require ZDoom.

MD922 said:

I agree with this. Just because it's a ZDoom demo, doesn't mean it should be considered not a record or even a speedrun.

It's still a record on its own - a Zdoom UV max record, if you wish. Kinda like when cyberdemon531 smashed the scythe 30uv with jumping and crouching record. It's still not comparable to standard records recorded on standard ports with standard behaviour, therefore it doesn't beat them even if it's factually superior. We're not going to drop standards after 20 years, sorry.

Cyberdemon531: Thanks for script, I didnt know that.

Whoever says its easy on Zdoom, make better time on Zdoom then. Only thing that counts is being top on that red table on DSDA. You have shortest time, you win. I have seen that most players play on PrBoom and I wanted to switch to it, but I got only pissed off. There is something that doesnt "feel right". Bullets often miss even when I aim exactly to monster, movement feels different and so on. So for me its Zdoom. Its a matter of habit.

I used GZDoom for about a year (The same as Zdoom behavior wise) and definitely understand where you're coming from, but prboom emulates the way the original game is played, so ZDoom having more accurate shots, better punching, etc. could be considered cheating in some sense, as the map was designed for the original, and previous runs did not have access to such advantages. Although, not to discredit a Zdoom run BECAUSE it is a ZDoom run, but comparing it to non-ZDoom runs and claiming superiority isn't necessarily a good mindset.

NinjaLiquidator said:

Whoever says its easy on Zdoom, make better time on Zdoom then. Only thing that counts is being top on that red table on DSDA. You have shortest time, you win.

It's not about being easy, it's about being incomparable to other demos. Also DSDA isn't hall of fame, it's an archive, so whatever is considerable as "record" is up to everyone's own interpretation.

Cool demos, Veinen! I don't have the time to play this wad myself, so it is nice to see these huge maps maxed. Your smooth style makes the viewing experience very pleasant.

Heh, I was wondering if/when that ghost monster will appear; you seem to have been quite surprised... ;)

Nice NM100 run!

rdwpa said:

map04 was my favorite. :D Cool, are you planning on doing episode runs for the rest, or maybe even a d2all?

I think I know why... :D

Ep2 max possibly at least as the maps aren't really that tough apart from a certain few spots and, the harder maps are the ones I know better anyway. Ep3 max I have not given much thought yet because the maps get hard and very long. Again I know most of the maps very well already though so I guess it's not out of the question.

Nice episode run!

A few months back I put in the practice to do an Ep2 run but never had time to put it together. It is doable and will take around 2 hours. Map 16 can be tricky to play safe as well as some spots on map 31 and 20 but the rest is a breeze. GL if you attempt it....

Yeah I did a casual "ironman" thing for this some time ago and reached map20 in one sitting so there's no doubt that it's doable. I'm really only worried of the last battle in 31 and the megasphere arena in 15, while 16 and 20 should be relatively painless as I know the maps extremely well due to the IL maxes I've done.

I see Spartacus had already lost faith in me over at the other thread, so here's a first exit for a Ep2 maxrun. I practiced the run in September but hadn't tried it since so this is, you know, not very good at all. Improvements later maybe?

Episode 2 UV-Max in 101:47

e2e2-10147.zip