Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
gggmork

my crappy wireless internet tech help thread

yo yo yo,
so like I have a separate pc with no wireless dealies installed on it afaik, and I want to connect it to my landlord's wireless network or some sort of shit, yeah.

Not knowing wtf 'bluetooth' is, I bought a bluetooth usb little adapter thingamajig for like 5 bucks. plug and play supposedly, it installed the drivers and has a dumb little blue icon now, but it doesn't see any network:

'windows cannot find any bluetooth devices. make sure that your bt radio is attached to your comp and is turned on and that your bt device is turned on. follow the setup instruction that came w the device then click search again'

Does the network I'm connecting TO have to use 'bluetooth' in order for MY bluetooth thingy to see it or something? Or am I supposed to get some other 'non-bluetooth' wireless usb thingy? Or just smash the computer or what? I mean, *I* don't want to troubleshoot or figure out this crap, so you do it instead, deal?

You have bought the wrong thing. Bluetooth is typically used for devices to connect to each other (e.g. headsets and mobile phones, wireless headphones, etc). It is not used to connect to wireless access points, which I'm assuming your landlord has.

You will need to buy a wireless adapter (akin to this), but find out from your landlord what type of wireless device he has first before buying anything else.

You can create personal area networks with bluetooth and tunnel internet traffic over it, but it requires two computers with bluetooth and one with access to the internet. Bluetooth is slower and has less range however.

Recently I got tired of the connection issues desktop PCs in the house were having connection to the WLAN, so I threw the belkin USB adapters in a box and bought some half-decent PCI wlan cards from Maplin to see if they would be any better.

Whilst the signal strength and range seem to be down as reported, the quality of connection seems to have improved, and with less or no issues vis re-connecting or dropping connections.

As said essential to find out what your landlord is running. I would consider an adapter or card from the same manufacturer as your landlords router.

Since this is bumped anyway I might as well mention that I bought a 30ish dollar doohicky, to use the technical term, on amazon (a usb thing with a screw on antenna) and it works great (I just searched for the one with the best review.. because everyone knows from the three wolf moon shirt that amazon reviews are totally genuine).