Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

The Monster Holocaust Project! Need Feedback!

Now that my latest WAD is finally out the door after many months of working on it on and off, I figured that I could as well start a new project now that I have finally gotten into Doom again after a long pause that lasted months.

However, I wanted this project to be different, something I had not done before to prevent me from getting bored with Doom mapping, and thus I decided to spice things up a little by creating a project that focuses mostly (well, at least largely) on human enemies rather then the typical Doom monsters.

I give you:

Monster Holocaust!

----------------------------------------------------

The Story so far:

Its the year of 2050.

As a member of an elite secret part of the UN army (Yes, the UN is not totally worthless in the future) your job is to handle dangerous and deadly secret assignments that are completely classified and kept hidden from the public.

As you enter your office like you do every time you show up for work, your boss informs you that you have a new mission and that the fate of the whole world is depending on it.

According to secret UN intel, an evil shadow organization known only as "The Evil Corps Of Satanic Gentlemen and Explorers Of The Unspeakable" (Or the "ECSGEU", for short) is up to no good on their secret island base in the Pacific.

According to what little is known about them, the ECSGEU exists mostly of ruthless Neo-Fascists and other like minded people who all take orders from their supreme leader: Terrorsmash The Battler!

Unfortunately, the exact location of the secret island base is unknown. However, command has discovered that the ECSGEU has its own private state of the art train station located in Los Angeles and that it will soon ship "mysterious cargo" to the nearby harbor. Command believes that this "cargo" is suppose to go to the secret base, and thus your mission is to infiltrate the train station and then hide inside one of the cargo containers. That way, you can hopefully reach the secret island base and expose whatever nasty activity the ECSGEU might potentially be responsible for there.

The fate of the world rests on your shoulders.......

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Features:

-A very varied new arsenal of awesome new weapons and enemies including many human ones (The weapons arsenal has already been put together by the way, but I won't spoil it all for you.).
-Takes advantage of Zdoom features (This only works in the latest Zdoom ports by the way, Skulltag doesn't seem to support this yet but perhaps that will change if it gets updated with the latest Zdoom features or something) such as slopes, colored lights and probably scripting.
-A story that doesn't completely suck.
-A setting and a theme that is uncommon in most Doom WADS/projects.
-Weapons that work in such a way that total mouse look is REQUIRED in order for the MOD to be properly playable, thus adding depth to the gameplay (There is still no jumping though).
-Possible stealth gameplay, the pistol can kill without alerting enemies.

-And perhaps more depending on how this project develops!

Here are some screenshots of what little I have done so far (I have only been working on this for one evening, or that is, the past 3-4 hours or something. Perhaps somewhat more).

EDIT: Note that there are lighting effects taking place on the place shown above that aren't visible on the screenshot.

Yea, I know the detail is a bit on the lighter side at the moment, but like I said I just got started so give me a little break will ya!

So, what do you think? Am I off to a promising start?

Discuss!

NOTE: THIS POST WILL BE UPDATED WITH MORE INFORMATION AS THE PROJECT PROGRESSES!

Seems like typical ambitious ZDoom project full of ripped resources.

Well,pretty hard to make an opinion with so few screenshots,but it looks pretty nice. I wish you luck.Also,I hope the pistol and the other weapons are gonna have reloading.

As long as it has NEW monsters and not just reuse of unedited existing sprites, I'll be interested.
Judging for the screens, while looks like fun, it also looks like an extension of the Wolfenstein Tc.

40oz said:

Seems like typical ambitious ZDoom project full of ripped resources.

The resources come from http://www.tormentor667.de/, a place where you can download both weapons and enemies for use in your mod. That isn't the same as "ripping them" (I am assuming that by ripping, you mean editing images from different sources and copy pasting them into weapons).

Vegeta said:

As long as it has NEW monsters and not just reuse of unedited existing sprites, I'll be interested.

The nazis are entirely new and not re-edited enemies (I got them from the Nazi Enemy Bumper Pack ). I haven't decided what monsters to use yet.

It still counts as ripping even if someone else ripped them for you.

Also, the railing texture you got from whatever game rip pack is at least twice as tall as would make sense for anything in the Doom universe.

hardcore_gamer said:

What is wrong with the lightning?

Let me just say that I don't know why the hell the lighting is arranged that way. It makes no sense.

Snakes said:

Let me just say that I don't know why the hell the lighting is arranged that way. It makes no sense.

The computer boxes seen cast light into their direction.

It looks fine to me.

hardcore_gamer said:

The computer boxes seen cast light into their direction.

It looks fine to me.

It makes no sense, though. Light doesn't work in anything resembling the way you've made it; why are your computers casting gigantic bright rectangles of arbitrary shapes and sizes in an otherwise pitch-dark room? I was going to mention it earlier, but decided just to ask about the similarly confusing fences instead.

Also, 40oz was being sarcastic, dood...

PROTIP: Upscale the SS guards by 1.28, so they look in Doom as big as they do in Wolf3d, where they were initially meant to appear (credit Wolf Skevos Jones for them). Also if you upscale them, they'd look equal to Doom's humanoids too...

esselfortium said:

It makes no sense, though. Light doesn't work in anything resembling the way you've made it

I know, but I typically like to fallow the rule of cool rather then realism

printz said:

PROTIP: Upscale the SS guards by 1.28, so they look in Doom as big as they do in Wolf3d, where they were initially meant to appear (credit Wolf Skevos Jones for them). Also if you upscale them, they'd look equal to Doom's humanoids too...

I will consider that, thanks.

DeathevokatioN said:

I think the lighting is cool. Although I think a lot of things are cool, which probably aren't.

I did not want the whole room to have the same kind of lighting so I added this to create more diversity.