Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Death Egg

Doomsday Chex Quest Support?

Has the Doomsday team ever considered adding support for Chex Quest? I know in the past at one point it's been thought of expanding to other non-Doom engine games once, Strife has once been considered, and they're currently working on Doom 64 support, but the only game based on Doom without an significant changes besides aesthetics hasn't really ever been considered, from what I've seen. I even remember on one of the old Chex Quest forums some fairly decent textures. (Not that many though, only two were made it seems like) So, is this planned or could be implented soon?

I thought Doomsday already did support Chex Quest 1 and 2. They are just PWADs so they should work like any other DOOM total conversion. If this is not the case or there are issues with support then it should be reported so we can look into it.

Chex Quest 3 demands ZDoom specific features.

Er no they are not. They are marked up as PWADs - check it yourself.

Edit: Ah, the modified Chex.exe treats chex.wad as an IWAD despite it being marked PWAD? Hmm, ok.

In that case, no, present Doomsday releases won't allow playing of Chex Quest 1/2 as "complete games" and you'll have to load them as you would a DOOM PWAD, requiring original DOOM game data.

DaniJ said:

Er no they are not. They are marked up as PWADs - check it yourself.

Edit: Ah, the modified Chex.exe treats chex.wad as an IWAD despite it being marked PWAD? Hmm, ok.

In that case, no, present Doomsday releases won't allow playing of Chex Quest 1/2 as "complete games" and you'll have to load them as you would a DOOM PWAD, requiring original DOOM game data.

Why do you add a check that never ever existed in the original?

No WAD loader should check more than this:

if (strncmp(header.identification,"IWAD",4))
	{
	    // Homebrew levels?
	    if (strncmp(header.identification,"PWAD",4))
	    {
		I_Error ("Wad file %s doesn't have IWAD "
			 "or PWAD id\n", filename);
	    }

// ???modifiedgame = true;		
	}

Doom never made a distinction between WADs marked as IWAD or PWAD so neither should any source port.

Yeah its a cock up no less, chex.wad should be marked as an IWAD but it isn't. This puts paid to playing them as a "complete game" in present Doomsday releases because of the way we used to classify them. In other words, Doomsday always wants an IWAD.

Now, you should be able to HEX edit chex.wad making it an IWAD and consequently making Doomsday happy to load it as such.

Obviously it would be better if the engine could just ignore the lack of IWAD-status and let you play them as-is without modification and without requiring a "real" IWAD in addition. This will be addressed for the upcoming 1.9.0-beta6.10 release.

Edit: @Graf
We are talking about code that dates back to the very earliest version of Doomsday. Around the time at which the three "jports" were refactored into an engine plus games architecture.

At this time the engine needed a way to classify what *is* a "complete game". Something that no port had done previously.

Remember that Doomsday had to tackle problems over a decade ago that many ports are only just approaching now. As such, I'm prepared to cut skyjake some slack for that decision especially when the rule is broken only by some obscure game that the engine wasn't trying to support back then :P

Doomsday can't properly play them as pwads under Doom1, due to Chex.exe making some very tiny game play changes. For instance the zombieman mobj no longer has missile states or drops an ammo clip and not to mention the episode endings being moved to ExM5.

Though a ded could be made to deal with those.

I see. I guess I've just always considered them as standard DOOM PWADs as that is what they appeared to be. Consequently I haven't given Chex support a second thought as in my mind they didn't warrant any special attention.

Clearly that is not the case and we'll need to do a bit further work before we can declare support.

Fraggle made a DeHackEd patch for the differences between doom.exe and chex.exe. The Chex Quest support in ChocoDoom depends on it.

Ahh so that pesky IWAD vs PWAD check in BOOM's d_main.c actually either came from that port itself or from the immediately ancestral DosDoom version then... good thing I got rid of it a while back :P

I've just committed support for Chex Quest in Doomsday and it will feature in the upcoming 1.9.0-beta6.10 release.