Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
pritch

controversy!

Yes, it's true folks. pritch, Ruler of The DOLTs has dared to say that Doom's partial invisibility sux0rs. He claims that having it only means it's harder to dodge fireballs when attacked by several enemies, as there's no way to predict where they're gonna throw 'em, and standing still doesn't guarentee safety. The only time it's useful, says pritch, is when facing opposition who use bullets or Lost Souls.

What do YOU think?

Yeah it's crap. The goggles are crap too, the game looks way too ugly without the fadetable. And the enviromental suit is crappy too.

Yeah it's crap. The goggles are crap too, the game looks way too ugly without the fadetable. And the enviromental suit is crappy too.

Partial Invisibility isn't that great unless you're playing DM.

The point of the goggles isn't to make the game look prettier.

The Rad suit rules. Especially in Map11 DM.

The point of the goggles isn't to make the game look prettier.

You don't see googles on Quake engines using the r_fullbright command. It's too ugly to be true. They could've just disabled the sprite lighting.

The only time it's useful, says pritch, is when facing opposition who use bullets or Lost Souls.

Correction: It's only useful when facing opposition using hit-scan weapons.

It gets harder to hit lost souls when you're wearing partial invisibility and it usually confuses me when the buggers don't charge straight at me.

Are we forgetting the most annoying powerup of all, the BLINDINGLY WHITE INVULNERABILITY SPHERE?

Are we forgetting the most annoying powerup of all, the BLINDINGLY WHITE INVULNERABILITY SPHERE?

Wtf is wrong with you??? The effect looks awesome!
Is it because you can't see a thing or something?

it's not too bad for a little while, but, after a few minutes of combat, staring with an unflinching gaze, ("the fifty yard stare" full metal jacket) it just starts to burn my eyeballs out.

Bah, I end up getting hit more with it. I avoid it where possible

Absolutely.

Once you get one of those damn things, say goodbye to your dodging skills and run for your life.

The goggles are crap too, the game looks way too ugly without the fadetable.

Man, it took me a year before I could play Doom without the light goggles. The fadetable and light-banding in doom is SO fucking ugly it's unbelievable, but over the years I've gotten used to it.

I probably wouldn't mind it too much if the light-banding was removed and light levels were consistent no matter where you were.

Man, it took me a year before I could play Doom without the light goggles.

Heh...I thought I was the only one. Whenever the lights began to blink, I'd hit IDBEHOLDL real quick. I got to used to the light and didn't break the habbit until about a year ago, when I started playing Doom after a period of a couple years.

becasue doom is dark,goggle make life easier.
i agreed with eveyone invisibility sucked.
if invisibilty works like /no target and you can get one-hit kill.it will be more useful.

Doom doesn't have to be dark, if people would just set it to 180 or brighter. SOme really god maps have been ruined by having sub 100 lighting all through them IMHO.

You're all morons :P

Elaborate, please.....moron ;-)

I like to use the -minlight 200 switch in Slige.

Oh don't tell me you're one of those retards who uses intervals of 10 instead of 16 for lighting.

...renedering you impervious to Cyberdemon's Rockets and Spiderdemon's superchainguns.

Yeah, definitely not worth the cool white screen... :P

You're all morons :P

Elaborate, please.....moron ;-)

Does it really need elaboration? It's a fucking invisibility sphere! Blame id for that, why don't you, since you feel so strongly about it?

Yeah it's crap.

The goggles are crap too

Nah, I disagree, cause you can actually see where you're going.

the game looks way too ugly without the fadetable.

Matter of opinion.

And the enviromental suit is crappy too.

No it's not; you can get through slime and lava that would otherwise hurt; what's bad about that?

And the enviromental suit is crappy too.

No it's not; you can get through slime and lava that would otherwise hurt; what's bad about that?

Bah. I'm starting to hate damaging floors altogether. Consequently, I'm beginning to love Plutonia, where most of the slime/blood/acid floors aren't actually damaging.

I like to use the -minlight 200 switch in Slige.

Oh don't tell me you're one of those retards who uses intervals of 10 instead of 16 for lighting.

...uh...I just picked 200 because its a nice round number that's up there on the scale. Pardon me for not having l33t Doom haxoring skills like you.

Does it really need elaboration? It's a fucking invisibility sphere! Blame id for that, why don't you, since you feel so strongly about it?

That doesn't quite elaborate why we're morons for just discussing an interesting topic.

partial invis sucks unless you're playing Doom e1 on nightmare or something similar...