Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baronofheck82

Doom Withdrawal

Kind of random I suppose, but oh well.

Has there ever been a time where you've simply been pining away to play some Doom?
Earlier this year, my monitor took a crap on me and for a few days that were monitorless I kept wanting like hell to play some Doom. I kept thinking of Alien Vendetta and Episode 1. When my brother got another monitor (free :D) for me, I plugged that bitch in and proceeded to play the hell out of some Doom.

As of the last few weeks I've been really loving playing Doom more than anything. I've found a new love for wads like Alien Vendetta and Hell Revealed 2 and have been craving difficult and innovative levels regardless of how good they look. Utilization of things like low lighting or flashing lights for gameplay reasons instead of looks. Maps that vary in skill levels and use monster encounters to create different methods of playing other than mere decoration. Maps that allow the player to make decisions and approach each room in a different sequence to complete, with some options that are flat out impossible and others that make the gameplay more tame.

Because of this I've been wanting to play Doom almost anytime im not already sitting down playing it.

For me this goes back to last year when I was thinking a lot about Doom II and how much I love that game. It had been many years since I've played any Doom games and so I felt I wanted to play it again. When I was visiting my dad's house I knew I had that Doom Collector's Edition buried in a box somewhere so I was ravaging through my stuff and digging in every box. I pretty much nearly took the place apart looking for that box set. I went home disappointed I couldn't find it. With Doom II still hovering in my head, I figured I could download it somewhere online. Normally I would never do this, but since I knew I had it somewhere at my dad's house I figured it wouldn't be a problem. Sure enough I happen to find it in a little wooden box in the garage and I finally satisfied myself playing through all of Doom II. I just love how each level feels like it's in just the right place. It isn't consistent in theme but sometimes I don't want any of that repetitive crap and I just want to play video games for fun. So yeah, you can say I've had my share of suffering Doom withdrawal. :)

Then at some point I stumbled upon Doom Builder and became obsessed with tutorials and stuff to make my own levels. I've still not submitted anything yet except for some projects. But I hope to engage in the fun of getting slammed by all the Doomworld users who want what they want while I make what I want because I enjoy it.

When I'm at work sometimes I want to program (yet another) Doom modification. But that just might be my programming withdrawal. I love programming (in C), it kicks ass. I program daily, think of algorithms at work (with a mini fliptop notepad and a pen) and code at home.

But for now, I just crave some deathmatch, I stopped killing people in self defence.

tbh, i´m busier with playing modern shooters than doom right now since i built a new gaming rig, but only because there are new games í haven´t finished yet, the old box wasn´t fast enough for them. with every game i notice how doom´s simple, "in your face" gameplay suits me better than sneaking and sniping.