Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Barking Sands

BAL2A0 Sprite in Doom wads?

(I did a few quick searches of the forums and didn't find anything, so I hope I'm not touching on an old subject in a new thread.)

Is there a quick and easy method for using the BAL2-series sprites in lieu of the MISL-series without copying the images from the registered doom wad file?

If I do have to copy the images and add them to a PWAD, could that PWAD be distributed without the permissions from iD Software?

Do the BAL2-series sprites even appear in the game at all?

Cheers.

BACKGROUND:
I'm working on creating an M203A1 to replace the rocket launcher, and I want the "grenade in air" sprites to be small, simple, and highly visible (mainly for the cyberdemon battles) from all angles ... something like the plasma shot, but orange/red instead of blue/green.

You could use a dehacked patch to make the rocket use those sprites instead of its default ones, or you could just put the sprites in your wad directly. You can legally include Doom- and Doom-derived resources in your PWAD as long as Doom itself is required to run it. (Technically, this also extends to say that you can only include resources from the specific IWAD that your wad runs with, but that's a rule that's rather frequently bent.)

Thanks for the quick reply. I just went ahead and plugged the pics into my mod and discovered that they're the cacodemon's fireballs. I didn't recognise the pictures in the lump editor.

I'll end up using a dehacked lump to replace the rocket impact frames with a cacoball impact (if I can find the frame numbers for either of these two), and I'll just draw my own flame-circles for the grenades in-air.

Just in case it isn't clear how you can substitute one for the other in dehacked (without doing anything else), here is a simple patch to do this:

Patch File for DeHackEd v3.0

Doom version = 19
Patch format = 6

Text 4 4
MISLBAL2

Grazza said:

Just in case it isn't clear how you can substitute one for the other in dehacked (without doing anything else), here is a simple patch to do this:

Patch File for DeHackEd v3.0

Doom version = 19
Patch format = 6

Text 4 4
MISLBAL2

Wow that's cool. I had no idea the text function could do that.

Just about finished drawing the weapon bob frame for the M203A1 now ... I'm still not sure if I want to do anything with the grenades at this time. The rockets look just fine coming out of the 203's tube. Sound effect fits pretty well too.

What I'm interested in at the moment is getting the pistol to use the BFG9000's sound effect (I'll swap the silent pistol sound with the BFG attack sound) while leaving the sounds for the zombiemen and chaingun attacks unchanged.

/Edit: I finally got around to actually testing your dehacked code and got it working...love it.