Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Doom Turns Seventeen

Stronghold and Unloved were both very boring wads IMO. Would've been great to see the 2 runners up take their places, but each to their own I guess. Beyond Revival and BGE2 are both brilliant episodes full of classic DooMing goodness, anyone that likes classic DooM go play them now!

It's also good to see that pointless POS weapons mod got the award it deserved. hehe

iori said:

Happy birthday!
Cheers for the nod ;)

Hey! I'm still waiting for your E1 replacement episode to be made! If my prediction is on the money, and I'm sure it is... if you finished and released that, it'd be the best E1 replacement in the history of DooM along with Dawn of the Dead!

DeathevokatioN said:

Stronghold and Unloved were both very boring wads IMO. Would've been great to see the 2 runners up take their places, but each to their own I guess. Beyond Revival and BGE2 are both brilliant episodes full of classic DooMing goodness, anyone that likes classic DooM go play them now!

It's also good to see that pointless POS weapons mod got the award it deserved. hehe

Hey! I'm still waiting for your E1 replacement episode to be made! If my prediction is on the money, and I'm sure it is... if you finished and released that, it'd be the best E1 replacement in the history of DooM along with Dawn of the Dead!

Unloved was boring?

Solarn said:

Unloved was boring?

I've not played much of it so far, and am not sure I would call it boring. But something akin to that, probably yes. It didn't really pull me in, the darkness, general layout and design was more annoying than atmospheric to me.

It definitely had some nice qualities, but not enough to swoon me.

Yeah Unloved was a little questionable to me also. I'm just not that impressed with horror themed wads where every monster encounter is intended to make you shit yourself. It just doesn't work on me. But the cacowards would have been kinda lame if there wasn't any variety.

kristus said:

I've not played much of it so far, and am not sure I would call it boring. But something akin to that, probably yes. It didn't really pull me in, the darkness, general layout and design was more annoying than atmospheric to me.

It definitely had some nice qualities, but not enough to swoon me.

Think so too.

40oz said:

Yeah Unloved was a little questionable to me also. I'm just not that impressed with horror themed wads where every monster encounter is intended to make you shit yourself. It just doesn't work on me. But the cacowards would have been kinda lame if there wasn't any variety.

It works on me and I think Unloved is the best of its kind. I haven't played any scarier wad and I played both of the Happy Time Circus wads.

Solarn said:

It works on me and I think Unloved is the best of its kind. I haven't played any scarier wad and I played both of the Happy Time Circus wads.

Always nice to start the day off with humor. :)

Yay hooray!

I feel a little bad that I haven't played any PWADs in the last 3 years or so, aside from Curse of D'Sparil.

On a semi-related note, I kind of miss the days of Speedmapping.

Happy Birthday, Doom.

It's nice to see that Speed of Doom got awarded. I'm not at all angry that AEOD getting the "worst wad" award because, to be frank, I got tired of having to juggle with so many weapons. (That, and I found Scoredoom way more fun.)

Happy birthday, Doom. :D

As far as AEoD goes, I have to agree with its nomination as Worst WAD of the Year. Granted, I like shuffle mods. They can be fun to use on WADs you've already played through. The issue I have with AEoD is that it feels out of place thematically. When I play Doom, I want to feel like I'm playing Doom. AEoD comes off as being extremely schizophrenic and unsure of what it even wants to be (aside from being an Xbox hueg resource WAD). I could be a bit more understanding if the monsters ripped from other games were even tweaked a bit so that they fit into Doom's hellish theme, but it doesn't even do that. Monsters ripped out of Duke3D act and feel like they do in Duke3D, Half-Life monsters ripped from Half-Life have no changes to them, etc.

The other issue I have with AEoD is the lack of options to include and exclude what the user wants out of those resources when playing. I like having options. If I could play it without the inclusion of other crap from other games in it and stick with more Doom-themed resources, I'd be okay with it. But nope. You're pretty much forced to deal with all of the crap within it, from the out of place monsters and items to the assload of weapons you have to cycle through to get to the one you want.

In terms of shuffle mods, the ones I feel like do it right are ScoreDoom and Scalliano's 667 Shuffle. While ScoreDoom does have a few monsters that (for me) don't feel like they belong, I can at least go into the sdcustom.ini file and change how often I want them to show up, if at all. The same goes for the items and powerups that appear in the game. I love having that level of control over what I want to show up. Also, I like the fact that some of the stock weapons do have an alt fire, which is nice.

Scalliano's 667 Shuffle fits the Doom theme rather well. I haven't come across a weapon, monster, or powerup that felt like it didn't belong in Doom. Scalliano has done an excellent job in picking out resources that fit in Doom as well as making sure you still have a fighting chance against the new foes you face.

Like I said before, I like shuffle mods. At the same time, I feel like there needs to be a level of consistency, reason, and accessibility to them. Shuffle mods like AEoD lack any of that, in my opinion, while ScoreDoom and Scalliano's 667 Shuffle have those three elements in mind.

@Nems - Well, while the randomness in AEOD didn't quite get to me all that much, a rather large chunk of the enemies tended to be rather annoyingly lethal to say the least. (sometimes, even with the right weapons) And then, there are many of the boss-class monsters that can rather literally kill you in seconds if you give them the chance. (Scoredoom has plenty of those really nasty megaboss enemies as well, true, but at least only a few of them have any homing projectiles)

And speaking of the altfire on the stock weapons in Scoredoom, one of them is great for crowd control in those slaughter maps, provided that you use it from a safe distance and/or you have an invulnerability powerup active. (though I know my enemy guide for Scoredoom has a few exceptions for which megabosses to use it on, provided you have enough space to be safe from the blast radius)

Great to see the new cacowards! Congratulations to all the winners. Good to see a new Turbocharged Arcade take the mockaward as well.

I downloaded both Unloved and Epic 2 to celebrate (I don't download too many WADs these days). I finished Unloved yesterday and thought it was great, It definitely deserved a spot in the Cacowards IMO.

Graf Zahl said:

That thing would be good as one thing only: a resource WAD to be taken from for other projects. But that's precisely what it is not.

Actually, I always thought that was exactly what it is.

Tormentor667 said:

How could I have missed Epic 2?!

It only came out a few weeks ago :)

edit: ...though I suppose you could've seen all the development screenshots that were posted in the project thread before then.. So, you're out of luck. No excuses, Torm. I'll never forgive you! >:O

(..okay maybe I will. but just this once *huggle* .____.)

Happy birthday doom! The game that's always there for me.

Doom comes and goes, but unlike other games that fade away, doom is always there for me. Its funny. I was on a doom break for a few months, jus started playin few days ago. Was on its birthday I started playin again. Feel guilty that I forgot its birthday again. Lol

Clicking on the Page 3 link from the main Cacoward page takes me to page 2 instead. All other links seem fine.

I was driving through Texas this last Friday, December 10, and I almost wanted to drive around Mesquite and try to find the id Software building, but I wimped out :(

Happy birthday Doom anyway

AeoD may be the most annoying wad I've ever tried to play.

First off, I saw the zdoom thread, so I downloaded what was listed first. I was whisked off to a shitty rapidshare-like site where I waited in line to download... a rar file.

are you serious?
After using 7zip to extract the thing, I drag the AEoDdat.pk3 file to zdoom. I get weird shit, no weapons, just.. nonsense. After reading the readme, turns out there are several files that I'm supposed to get (no it WAS NOT OBVIOUS), so after searching the forums for them I finally found what was "version 5"... and it's a three-part download.

And in all, there's four files I'm supposed to get (by god I don't know how) and run in the command-line like so:

c:\Games\ZDoom\Zdoom.exe -file AEoD.pk3 AEoDdat.pk3 AEoDfx.pk3 AEoDSkins.pk3
Now I expect this for a WAD in development, but this is supposed to be finished! Why the hell is everything spread out over 4-5 files, each massive sizes, hosted on Rapidshit? Are you kidding me?

AEoD damn well deserved worst wad! This is probably why it gets worst wad in my book and I haven't even fucking played it yet!

It's strange... I could play AEoD with only 2 files (AEoD and AEoDDAT)

Also, it makes gameplay harder, but you give a lot of weapons. I think, it's a great challange!

Katamori said:

Also, it makes gameplay harder, but you give a lot of weapons. I think, it's a great challange!

But what's the point when every weapon is the same? Different graphics aside, it makes weapon selection an absolute chore.