Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
myrworld

Doom 64 levels on PC Doom

I was wondering if anyone has ever made a mod that uses the graphics, levels, etc. from Doom 64 in a Doom Mod for a source port like Legacy or ZDoom? I don't know if it's possible, or has been done, I would just like to know because I've only been able to play the actual game once before, and it seemed as if it had potential to be good, except for the fact of the N64 controller and the too dark TV.

RCM

I know the sounds have been used a few times, and I think somebody may have extracted the sprites, but I'm pretty sure none of the levels have been ported over. From what I hear (I've never played the game myself), Doom64 had some areas with 3D floors which would be unreplicable in Doom unless the maps were made to work with EDGE only, which unfortunately has a very small userbase. I wouldn't expect to see any good Doom64 map conversions for PC anytime soon, but I did port the 32X version of Spawning Vats to Doom2. I think Elbryan42 still has it somewhere on Doom Depot.

No Doom 64 levels yet unfortunately. :(

I have a couple PSX level conversions (Spawning Vats and Redemption Denied) on my site in my sig.

My site DOES have all of the sounds, and the music (done by me of course! :) ). I also have the weapon and item sprites on my site in wad form (under Macvilewhore's wads in the Doom Wads section).

BTW, last nite I started re-ripping the sounds in MUCH better quality! It's going super fast. My guess is I'll have them all done by the end of the week! :)

Another project I'm working on with some other people is ripping all the rest of the graphics from Doom 64 to use in PC Doom. Namely the enemies. No clue on how long it'll take though.

The closest thing to it is probably Stone Stratagems. A lot of the levels in that were based on Doom 64 levels/scenes.

BTW, has anyone made more PSX levels than those two? Few of them were very good, like Twilight descents, the mansion, marshes, and others...

BTW, has anyone made more PSX levels than those two?

Well, I don't have the PSX version. I made Spawning Vats from the 32X map, and I intended to do the rest of the 32X maps years ago, but of course, never did.

I started E1M1, but there was hardly anything changed so I abandoned it. I'll most likely work backwards from Spawning Vats if I ever get to remaking the 32X maps again.

I talked to someone who MAY do the PSX levels, but it may be a while... well it's better than nothing.

Aye the psx levels were awesome. Psx doom was my first move up from 32x doom so when I played it for the first time I was like WOW! I have the psx doom disk maybe theres emulators out there so I can play it on my pc. I would also mark out for doom 64 levels because those were also pretty good but I think it either used an improved doom engine or a completly different one so I don't know if thats possible. The only thing that let Doom64 down was the control and the brightness as it was dark as fuck.

The closest thing to it is probably Stone Stratagems. A lot of the levels in that were based on Doom 64 levels/scenes.

Yes, but I stopped doing that up to about map16 or so. The included text file has them all listed under level information.

There was a version of the first map from doom64 kicking around about a year ago. It was a build from scratch, rather than an actual porting as I recall, and used doom2 textures, but was a very nice little conversion (Zdoom only). Looked good with the various D64 resources that are available. I can't find a DL for it just now, but the author's e-mail was (and maybe still is) crobin_99@yahoo.com

About the DooM64 textures.

I´m trying to rip them, but it´s not easy to get a screenshot 90 degrees angle and from the right distance on the texture I want to rip...

If there only was a way of diving into the rom itself and grab what I need.

By the way, I have found a set of really good looking rips of four of the DooM64 weapons (chainsaw, shotgun, rocketlauncher and the BFG). I´ll try to update the Doom64 project as soon as I´m done with them.

I´m not a wizard at graphics and pixeling, so don´r expect a masterpieece true to the colorpalette in DooM64...

Why has none sourceport added support for more colordepth?
I mean it can´t be as hard as adding true 3D. Or am I wrong?
The DooM64 sprites and things will look alot better is the original colors were used.

About the DooM64 textures.

I´m trying to rip them, but it´s not easy to get a screenshot 90 degrees angle and from the right distance on the texture I want to rip...

Then do it

If there only was a way of diving into the rom itself and grab what I need.

There is

By the way, I have found a set of really good looking rips of four of the DooM64 weapons (chainsaw, shotgun, rocketlauncher and the BFG). I´ll try to update the Doom64 project as soon as I´m done with them.

Cream in your pants, cause that one URL that I replied with, with a little looking you can find all the guns, and some sprites from DooM 64.

I´m not a wizard at graphics and pixeling, so don´r expect a masterpieece true to the colorpalette in DooM64...

Then why do it if it is gonna suck?

Why has none sourceport added support for more colordepth?
I mean it can´t be as hard as adding true 3D. Or am I wrong?
The DooM64 sprites and things will look alot better is the original colors were used.

Quit bitching, if you want one, code it yourself, other than that, shut up.

Let me rant for a second, I'm sick of people saying "why hasn't somebody..." or "when will somebody...". Goddamnit, you want something, go fucking make it yourself.

You want a port with color depth, grab the DooM source code, or a ports source and make it.

you want a fucking phat set of MD2 models, fucking learn to do art and make 'em.

you want an avatar upload page, do the fucking work, send it in, otherwise, go fuck off. Like people have said to me, you want something so bad, go do it yourself.

wow bbg couldn't handle the "teh bbg fan club" chatroom in AIM, so he has to burst it out in the forums

BTW, I finally finished the sounds and a wad as well. They're on the Doom Depot Forums right now, and will be on my website tomorrow.

And I emailed that guy about his Doom 64 level. He lost all of his Doom stuff a while back and doesn't have it anymore. :(

There's been all this talk of porting and building levels from the old console versions of Doom, but I'd like to see someone do a few from the GBA. They don't have anything better, only the same or less (or worse, depending on how you see it). I just think it'd be interesting to play through all the classic Doom levels on my PC with the limitations of the GBA, but maybe I'm just a masochist.

There's been all this talk of porting and building levels from the old console versions of Doom, but I'd like to see someone do a few from the GBA.

From the shots I've seen, the GBA maps look exactly like the 32X maps.

Therefore, Lüt, if you made Spawning Vats (or most of it), you should have no problem doing those levels.

Cream in your pants, cause that one URL that I replied with, with a little looking you can find all the guns, and some sprites from DooM 64.

I´m the one that made that DooM64 mod you had a link to.
So don´t tell me!

Then why do it if it is gonna suck?

I simply stated the problems I had with the method I´m using, so that someone could give me pointers and advise.
You didn´t help me at all.

Quit bitching, if you want one, code it yourself, other than that, shut up.
"If you want something so bad, go do it yourself."

That´s why I´m making these DooM64 stuff. None else will do
it. If it suck, then don´t play it...

You need to cool down.
If you have all that aggresion, please let it out on someone else ok? :)

And I emailed that guy about his Doom 64 level. He lost all of his Doom stuff a while back and doesn't have it anymore. :(

No fear Elbryan.
I have it. He gave me permission to edit the map and put in new textures, a while back. I still haven´t got all the textures needed, so I have it "as it was". I can upload it on your DooM FTP later.

When I figure out how to get "clean" shots of all textures needed (celing and floor is the hardest) I will update that map with the correct textures. But that´s later project.