Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Barking Sands

Questions for "Reality-Mode" Mod

As the title says, I'm working on a quick little wad that will force reality-mode on the player. I would like to disable nukage if I can, but does anybody know a way to do this without redrawing the floor sectors in the map itself, or creating a new source port? :D

Could I use a dehacked code like:

text 7 7
sector7sector3
...basically to rename all sectors of one name in a wad to a new name?

Cheers.

BTW, this post is for all my n00bie modding questions for the "reality-mode" mod that may never become anything at all. I might come back here asking some max-health_vs._soulsphere_health related questions.

Your terminology is confused ("rename sectors"?) but I think what you're trying to do is impossible with DeHackEd. Whether or not a sector damages you is governed by the sector type, it's independent of the flat (i.e. texture) used.

As for soulsphere and max health:

Soulsphere Health is how much health a soulsphere adds on, up to a maximum of Max Soulsphere. It is independent from Max Health.

Max Health is a bit more complicated and depends on what engine you're using:

• In Vanilla+Dehacked, it is the maximum value of your health that you can get from picking up health potions.
  • In Boom it means the maximum health you can achieve by picking up medikits. In Vanilla+Dehacked this is fixed at 100; in Boom, the maximum health you can get from health potions is twice the value of Max Health.
Confused yet? I know I am! Thanks to the Boom developers for implementing Dehacked support while apparently being unaware of what Dehacked actually does (c.f. monster infighting)

Thanks RjY, I'm not completely convinced that it's impossible with DeHackEd yet.

I'm not a mapper at all, so I have no idea what terms to use. I think the code above could make it possible. From the wiki, damaging floors are set in the map by associating a special type value to a sector. The doom exe reads these type values from the WAD and interprets them as nukage areas. If the DEH file intercepts these type values and renames them to something a normal floor would use ... voila??

Also thanks for clearing up the Vanilla/Boom DEH health issue. That's exactly what I was wondering about. It would have taken me weeks to figure that one out by playtesting.

If I set max health to one point, Boom ports allow the player to achieve 2% health by picking up vials/soulspheres/megashpheres (even if I set "max soulsphere" to 1), but Vanilla will reinforce the set health at 1% every time the player picks up these health bonuses (even if I set "max soulsphere" to 2).

So basically the "max soulsphere" setting is useless unless it specifies a number within one specific range for boom ports and a completely different specific range for vanilla Doom. I guess now I can sleep at night knowing that that's sorted. :D

Toughguy said:

If the DEH file intercepts these type values and renames them to something a normal floor would use ... voila?

There are plenty of values that dehacked cannot change.

Anyway, I think reality mode is better when it's used on maps created specifically for it, rather than shoehorned everywhere.

You're probably right Gez; I'll just scrub the reality-mode project. It's something simple that becomes way too difficult to actually implement properly. Reality-mode speedruns are downright impossible to play in synch with a reality-mode mod running, and the mode would be completely useless without the ability to eliminate nukage hazards.