Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rfnagel

id Games - Back In Time!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DOOM!

December 10th marked the day, 17 years ago, when the shareware version of DOOM was first uploaded by id Software to the University of Wisconsin's FTP server (well before Al Gore "invented" the Internet)!

This map is a little something that I threw together back in 1998, and even still today it cannot be uploaded to the idGames Internet Archives (due to it being simply a "copy and paste" job of some of the original id Software DOOM and DOOM 2 maps).

The map is a "copy and paste" (in verbatim) of the first map of DOOM 2 (MAP01: "Entryway"), the first map of the original DOOM (D_E1M1: "Hangar"), and the first secret map of DOOM 2 (MAP31: "Wolfenstein")... which of course, is identical to the first map of the PC game Wolfenstein 3D.

The map includes new music, which is simply a medley of DOOM 2's "Running From Evil", DOOM's "At Doom's Gate", and Wolfenstein 3D's "Get Them Before They Get You". Also included is the original "SKY1" sky texture from DOOM's Episode 1: "Knee Deep in the Dead", as well as a demo of your's truly completing the map!

Anyhow, download the map "id Games - Back In Time!", view the readme, view a layout screenshot of the map... and HAVE FUN!

Readme -> http://www.cmoo.com/snor/weeds/DOOM/id-Games.txt
Map layout screenshot -> http://www.cmoo.com/snor/weeds/DOOM/id-Games.gif
Yer ZIP -> http://www.cmoo.com/snor/weeds/DOOM/id-Games.zip

Err I'm a bit confused... what exactly is your purpose in releasing this? It really is just a copy and paste job. I mean its not really unique enough to be called a homage or a tribute. Welp, whatever you feel like I guess.

ultama121 said:

Err I'm a bit confused... what exactly is your purpose in releasing this? It really is just a copy and paste job. I mean its not really unique enough to be called a homage or a tribute. Welp, whatever you feel like I guess.

I simply thought is was a rather neat concept: I mean, you start out at the usual DOOM2 entrance. You make your way through the level, pass through the hidden corridor/elevator, and then your in DOOM1.

Go through DOOM1's level, and then the usual exit opens a door to the Wolf3D level.

No, nothing that spectacular, but I simply thought it was a neat idea; and since it had been sitting on my hard drive for over a decade, I figured I'd go ahead and upload it :)

rfnagel said:

secret map of DOOM 2 (MAP31: "Wolfenstein")... which of course, is identical to the first map of the PC game Wolfenstein 3D.

No it's not. To start with, it's twice the scale and got additional secrets.

map01 music shouldn't have played for so long. e1m1 should have played longer. wolf music should have played MUCH longer.

kristus said:

No it's not. To start with, it's twice the scale and got additional secrets.

The secrets have been removed (to fit the three levels together), and the scale difference is a given.

But AFAIK the layout is basically the same, no? Been a while since I played Wolf3D though.

As far as other modifications (interwoven, music, etc...), I simply was trying to keep everything 'original DOOM', the same in verbatim (where possible).

I agree, a little more interconnectivity between the three maps would've been more interesting...certainly more challenging to make. It probably would've required cutting out bits of the three maps and maybe changing what some stuff does, but that would've been cool anyway.

Grazza said:

Reminds me of Patchwork Empire.

I just had a gander at Patchwork Empire... that's quite a cool thing indeed. Thanks for the link :)

Hehe, talk about gameplay confusion... just when I thought I knew where I was at, I realized I was completely lost LOL!