Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rfnagel

DOOM 2 "advertisment" in DOOM 1?

Folks, help me out here... the old(er) brain doesn't work as good as it used to <grin>.

I seem to recall at the end of one of the episodes of DOOM 1 that instead of the simple "The End" message (with the bullets shooting up the text), there was some sort of plug for DOOM 2. Maybe something along the lines of "DOOM II: Coming next year!", or something like that.

I can't for the life of me figure out when/if I actually saw that, or am simply dreaming it up <LOL>!

I have DOOM v1.0 shareware, DOOM v1.25 Sybex shareware, DOOM v1.1 retail, DOOM v1.2 retail, as well as Ultimate DOOM (don't remember the original version, but currently it's patched (?) to version 1.9). Dug up all of my good ol' floppies and installed them. But, I don't see the above during ANY of the ending screens for the various episodes.

Any idea? Am I losing my mind, or did I simply dream this up <grin>?

Thanks in advace :)

I like this post <grin>, though I don't have any answers. Maybe in the Read This or Help? I don't think it would have been in the end text, but I only had one version of Doom back in the day.

I think one of the Commander Keen games had a mention of Quake as one of their next big titles. Don't recall any mention of Doom 2 anywhere. Have you looked in the Doom Wiki?

Yeah, I've searched through the Wiki, as well as a lot of Googling/Yahooing/Newsgrouping... no hits :(

Makes it hard to search for though, even a specific boolean search; Heh, try '+"DOOM 2" +"end game" +"DOOM 1"', and the like... tons of results, none pertinent.

But, I swear, I seem to remember something like this, and IIRC it wasn't on any of the help screens. Hmm... maybe the blurb was something like "Next stop, Hell On Earth!"... I dunno.

(EDIT) But, it indeed seems that it was more along the lines of "DOOM 2, Coming Soon!" or something like that. The old memory fades, but I seem to remember thinking (when, at the time, discovering there was gonna be a sequel) "A DOOM 2? COOL!" <grin>.

Damn, this is driving me nutz (as one gets older, it's not hard to do <grin>)!

The end text of Ultimate Doom's Episode 4 says "Next stop, Hell on Earth!", which is an allusion to DOOM II. That's all I can think of.

EDIT: Haha, timing.

Quasar said:

The end text of Ultimate Doom's Episode 4 says "Next stop, Hell on Earth!", which is an allusion to DOOM II. That's all I can think of.

Maybe that was what I was thinking of, I'm not sure though.

OK, more research:

I pretty much figured that if what I was thinking were true, then it would HAVE to be in the retail version of DOOM... at the end of E3M8. This because, the *shareware* version of DOOM wouldn't be trying to *sell* you DOOM 2, but rather the full *retail* version of DOOM 1.

So's, since I have version 1.1 of retail DOOM 1 (as well as version 1.2), I figured I'd download each upgrade patch and see if it was added to any of those versions (concentrating on the retail version of DOOM 1). Heh, I *used* to have all of those upgrade patches at one time or another... but who keeps the old stuff and crapola, when all you *need* is a v1.9 updater for what you already have (in my case, v1.1, v1.2, and whatever version of UDOOM that I have).

Versions 1.1-1.2-1.666-1.8-1.9... nope not in a single one of those <aarrggh>!

Anyhoo, I must have either;

1: Dreamed this up in my head (prolly so!).

- or -

2: Mistaken the UD end screen for what I *thought* I was thinking of.

Either way, DOOM has just turned 17, which is EXTREMELY old for a PC game... and like DOOM, a "senior", I suppose that I'm getting there as well too :duh: <LOL>!

(EDIT) Enough rambling... now back to playing "DOOM: THE LOST EPISODES" and "Dooms day of UAC" <grin> :)

I remember some blurb from somewhere about the "commercial version" of Doom so you may be onto something. Dunno, 17 years is a long time

The closest thing that I can think of is at the end of Thy Flesh Consumed, the end title screen says "Next Stop: Hell on Earth". I've never actually seen a straight up ad for Doom2 at the end of the episodes however.

This is just as elusive as the MAP01 Doom95 "demo" I recall, but never been able to confirm.

I do remember a PWAD which included shots taken and scanned from DOOM II promos in secret areas, but that was by no means official.

Quasar said:

EDIT: Haha, timing.

Ultimate Doom was released way after Doom II.

One could think that the burning city would be enough to show that the story is not over.

Gez said:

One could think that the burning city would be enough to show that the story is not over.

I guess in hindsight that's a giveaway that there would be another game. But really, the entire ending of the original Doom was completely silly, so it could have just been one of those "oh damn it" endings (Like, no happily ever after).

Somehow, I think that would of been better, heh.

"Daisy! NOOO! Damn you demons! Damn you back to Hell!"

On/off-topic, anyone think Doom 64's ending is the most depressing in the series? He stays in Hell forever to ensure no demon can ever escape again. Brass balls after what he went through in that game...

Quasar already posted the definitive answer, I'll just clarify two minor unrelated points.

rfnagel said:

I have ... DOOM v1.1 retail, DOOM v1.2 retail

Although UK was one of the two Old World countries (the other being Netherlands) where DOOM1 was sold legally via retail channels, these last two versions should be properly called "registered" unless their packaging differed significantly from the mail-order versions.

rfnagel said:

as well as Ultimate DOOM (don't remember the original version, but currently it's patched (?) to version 1.9).

DOOM2 v1.9, registered DOOM v1.9, Ultimate DOOM and Final DOOM all shared the same version number, even though only the first two shared the same executable. There were no official patches for Ultimate DOOM; there was a patch to upgrade v1.9 registered to Ultimate DOOM, though.

Never_Again said:

Although UK was one of the two Old World countries (the other being Netherlands) where DOOM1 was sold legally via retail channels, these last two versions should be properly called "registered" unless their packaging differed significantly from the mail-order versions.

Thanks for the clarification :) DOOM v1.1 and v1.2 I purchased via mail order, while Ultimtae DOOM and DOOM 2 I bought in the store (as well as several shareware versions that came with some of the DOOM related books that I've bought, including the elusive Sybex version 1.25).

Never_Again said:

There were no official patches for Ultimate DOOM; there was a patch to upgrade v1.9 registered to Ultimate DOOM, though.

Of course, you are correct, sir :) I had forgotten what version of UDOOM that my floppies where, just checked and they are indeed v1.9 (which I had bought when UDOOM first came out).

Heh, as an id Software buff in general, I can't believe that I didn't know that there was a patch to upgrade DOOM v1.9 to UDOOM <grin>. That explains the UDOOM patch that I saw in the IDSTUFF FTP directory the other night when I was perusing/downloading the various upgrade patches :)