Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hock

Scythe x

are they actually making a 32 map wad of scythe x or is it just meant to be only 10 levels long??

Well, the author hasn't been seen in over a year, so it might not get finished.

I don't suppose anyone has an email address that he can be reached by? I'd check his profile but I'm too lazy at the moment. I'm sure if he has the time and he can be reached, he'd gladly let someone know what the status of the project is.

Mechadon said:

I don't suppose anyone has an email address that he can be reached by? I'd check his profile but I'm too lazy at the moment. I'm sure if he has the time and he can be reached, he'd gladly let someone know what the status of the project is.

According to the /idgames archive it's erik_a80@hotmail.com, assuming he hasn't changed it recently.

Sigvatr said:

Scythe 2 looks great, but the visuals in Scythe X just look awful to me.

I understand your post, but I just don't get it.

40oz said:

I understand your post, but I just don't get it.

While I know I probably can't do any better myself, I honestly didn't really like the way the first two episodes of Scythe X looked or felt either. Yeah sure, the levels are all professionally done to modern standards and there are lots of different shapes and some unique architecture that I know people will find interesting. But there was nothing that caught my imagination in terms of looks and atmosphere, or in terms of action, also there was a big lack of contrast as well in the texturing department which didn't help either, all I can remember was tekgreen and all the different variations of it, including recolours which IMO look hideous. I started loading up levels expecting a different variation of the level I had seen before and most of the time I was right until it started getting a bit too dull for me, and felt like a chore so I eventually quit at level 7. The levels just didn't have anything in them that made the first Scythe feel like an action packed adventure for me.

The one thing I loved in the first Scythe was that while there was theme consistency, there was still a lot of variation and contrasting in colours and the way that the levels were presented in, and this is what kept the themes from stagnating for me. I know I'm in the minority here, and a lot of people will disagree with me, but I guess at the end of the day it all comes down to personal taste.

Eric is still an amazing level designer though, anyone that can make a megawad that can keep me captivated (Scythe 1) in such a small timespan has my total respect, I also enjoyed a lot of Scythe 2 maps.

Mechadon said:

I would guess he is busy with real life, no doubt he will return. Remember it took quite some time before he returned to finish scythe 2 and made scythe x.