Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kingbob

no inverted colors when invulnerable?

Well, if it's for ZDoom, you can do this:

Actor invulsphere : InvulnerabilitySphere replaces InvulnerabilitySphere { Powerup.Color white 0 }
I think it'll work.

Im using Gzdoom but that shouldn't matter.
I changed:

ACTOR InvulnerabilitySphere : PowerupGiver 2022
{
	Game Doom
	SpawnID 133
	+COUNTITEM
	+INVENTORY.AUTOACTIVATE
	+INVENTORY.ALWAYSPICKUP
	+INVENTORY.BIGPOWERUP
	Inventory.MaxAmount 0
	Powerup.Type Invulnerable
	Powerup.Color InverseMap
	Inventory.PickupMessage "$GOTINVUL"
	States
	{
	Spawn:
		PINV ABCD 6 Bright
		Loop
	}
}
To:
{
	Game Doom
	SpawnID 133
	+COUNTITEM
	+INVENTORY.AUTOACTIVATE
	+INVENTORY.ALWAYSPICKUP
	+INVENTORY.BIGPOWERUP
	Inventory.MaxAmount 0
	Powerup.Type Invulnerable
	Powerup.Color white 0
	Inventory.PickupMessage "$GOTINVUL"
	States
	{
	Spawn:
		PINV ABCD 6 Bright
		Loop
	}
}
And nothing changed. This was in gzdoom3.pk3\actors\doom\doomartifacts.txt

kingbob said:

There's your killer. You have 2 actors with the same name, and (G)Zdoom just might be ignoring the second one. (not sure though)
Do exactly what Gez said, that is if you only whant to change "powerup.color"
That usually works.

I don't have any advice on this one, I've never gotten a ZDoom pk3 mod to work before, but I tried the advice Gez gave to see if it would work and it didn't.

Created a new zip file called "mymod.zip" and added the folder "/actors/doom/" and put a file containing his text called "doomartifact.txt" inside the folder. No changes in the game. I tried naming the file "doomartifacts.txt" but ZDoom returned the message "File mymod.zip is overriding core lump actors/doom/doomartifacts.txt."

I tried it and it worked. Both WAD and PK3 formats
The problem is, you didn't make a "decorate" lump in the root folder of your pk3.
Also, I don't recommend using the same folder structure/filenames as zdoom.pk3

Just make a new lump, name it "decorate" and copy Gez's code inside it. Should work.

Yay! I actually got an archive to work in ZDoom. Cheers for the help Bishop.

You're right. I just renamed the file "/actors/doom/doomartifact.txt" "/decorate.txt" and it worked just fine.

@BurningCadavre: Yep. It's impossible to tell when it's running out. I guess you just have to count down from 15 ... :(

Yep, that is a drawback.
What I would do is draw an icon in the upper-right side of the screen (like hexen) when the powerup is active. Zdoom can do that too.

Same deal as before, copy/paste this into decorate:

Actor invulsphere : InvulnerabilitySphere replaces InvulnerabilitySphere 
{ 
	Powerup.type PowerInvulGiver
	Powerup.Color white 0 
}

ACTOR PowerInvulGiver : PowerInvulnerable
{
	inventory.icon "PINVA0"
}
you might have to keep an eye on the icon though to see when it starts Blinking ;)

Ok, I'm sorry guys I'm just not getting this to work. I don't know if it's because I'm using GZdoom or I'm just stupid. I put the code into a decorate file but GZdoom comes up with a fatal error on loading actors:

Script error, "gzdoom.pk3:decorate.lmp" line 1:
Parent type 'InvulnerabilitySphere' not found in invulsphere
Thanks for helping a noob.

The text from Bishop's last reply inside the code block belongs in a file called "decorate.txt" Open your archive manager of choice and add that txt file to a new archive. Then when you run GZDoom, use the option "-file <name_of_the_new_archive>" or just drag and drop your archive onto the GZDoom launch icon. Should work just fine.

Make certain that you're not adding or modifying files on the native gzdoom.pk3 archive.

Didn't see anything wrong with your "invuln.pk3" file. I'm guessing the fault lies in your "gzdoom.pk3" file. Try replacing it or restoring it from a backup.

yeah, by the looks of the error in your previous post... you might have modified gzdoom.pk3 by mistake. Re-installing usually works.

Or maybe the editior you used to modify it left some file called "gzdoom.pk3.bak"?

First, do not modify gzdoom.pk3 directly.

Secondly, I just tested my code, and it worked. (I wasn't sure about it.)

So what you need to do is this:
1. Create a file named "decorate.txt".
2. Paste this line of code inside:

Actor invulsphere : InvulnerabilitySphere replaces InvulnerabilitySphere { Powerup.Color white 0 }
3. Load decorate.txt in (G)ZDoom.

It'll work.

Do NOT:
- Alter the base definitions
- Copy the entire actors
- Give replacement actors the same name as what they change
- Try to replace ZDoom's internal files

Any of these things will only cause troubles and bugs.

Ok, Thanks guys it works.
Turns out I needed to replace my whole GZdoom folder after messing with the original .pk3 file not just the .pk3 itself.
Thanks for your help.

Edit: Actually the real reason was that I was using a saved game in which there was an invuln sphere. Appearantly in the saved games it uses the old colors. As soon as I restart though, it works.

I really wish there was a simple switch for this in GZDoom. I've always hated the white-out effect in Invulnerable mode, it disorients me completely and if tactics call for me to quickly navigate to another room I find myself totally lost and end up as toast. I sometimes wonder if it was designed to do that, ie disorient the player. In other words, although you're given the temporary gift of invulnerabilty you're cursed at the same time with not knowing your ass from a hole in the ground.

Or is it just me? :)

aldiboronti said:

I really wish there was a simple switch for this in GZDoom. I've always hated the white-out effect in Invulnerable mode, it disorients me completely and if tactics call for me to quickly navigate to another room I find myself totally lost and end up as toast. I sometimes wonder if it was designed to do that, ie disorient the player. In other words, although you're given the temporary gift of invulnerabilty you're cursed at the same time with not knowing your ass from a hole in the ground.

Or is it just me? :)

If I remember correctly, according to the printed manual that came with Doom, the disorienting white display is "your punishment for being tough".

Final Doom Manual (Only one I have handy):
"Render you immune to all damage. Pretty cool, until the effect wears off. When you're invulnerable, your screen will be white--your punishment for being tough."

Mr. T said:

You could just type IDDQD

The problem with that is that it resets your health to 100%, so if you have over 100% health, you lose whatever extra health you had. Not to mention, you have to remember to turn it off if you only wanted to use it for a certain part (like having to wade through nukage without a suit).