Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Speed of Doom

New and improved poll: My balogna has a first name, it's...  

26 members have voted

1. 1. New and improved poll: My balogna has a first name, it's...

• O-S-C-A-R
    • M-A-Y-E-R

I really like the design of the levels but the whole popping up monsters is killing the whole experience for me. What do you think? is this some of the geighest shit ever conceived? Totally kills the whole doom experience for me.

EDIT: I'm not asking if Speed of Doom is the gayest shit ever. I'm asking if the popping up monsters in the mapset is the gayest shit ever.

If you mean sections of floor that instantly raise and go "clunk" to make monsters appear immediately out of invisible holes in the ground, then yeah, I hate that. It rather ruins my suspension of disbelief :P

I do not know "geighest" and nor does my dictionary, thus this word has no meaning to me.

Pop up monsters are like pop ups in your adware infected browsers. They add some more challenge because that megasphere in the middle of an empty room is a trap, you know it's a trap, you already have 150%+ life and armor and just want to get the megasphere to trigger the trap because you like surprises (or just want 100%), sometimes.

Also if you know monsters are in a hole that will rise, a few well placed rockets (if possible depending on the map or if there are adjacent monsters) could easily kill them off in the holes only to have rising corpses.

I had a really hard time enjoying this. I'm getting better at Doom and have since gave some of the maps in SoD I really hated another shot. It's still rocking me pretty hard though. My biggest gripe with Speed of Doom, is quite obviously, it's extreme difficulty.

I used to hate wads that I couldn't beat right away. I enjoyed improvising when surprising situations came up and being able to survive them with my own skills. I kinda hated a lot of Doom 2 a lot for that reason as the maps never really provided you with weapons and ammo, you had to find them, and you often died a lot looking for them.

I've gotten used to the fact that hard maps require a good bit of "preknowledge" (a word I think should come up in reviews a lot these days), meaning the knowledge you gain from once being brutally raped to death by a trap, and being able to anticipate it the next time you encounter the area. Games like Contra are pretty near impossible without this kinda preknowledge.

The thing about Speed of Doom is that many of these traps have only the slightest window of opportunity even with this preknowledge! Often times I'll see a giant room ahead with tons of ammo and a soulsphere in the middle. I know what's going to happen. I dont know where to run next, but I'll find out after I get my entrails splattered all over the ceiling. The problem I keep encountering is that with each of these traps, the outrageous number of monsters and unforgiving terrain (giant open spaces with monsters sniping me from across the map), I rarely ever learn anything, and end up loading the same situation over and over again, and the only thing that ends up saving me is Doom's pseudorandom behavior. Maybe these mancubi and revenants will be a little more conservative in their shooting this time, or maybe the demons won't try choke out every possible path I'm allowed to maneuver in. It's just too wild.

I'm not a big fan of them myself. They tend to look really rough and clunky, especially if the monsters have that sort of "clipped" effect when they pop out. I try to avoid using them for surprise monster attacks when I can. For stuff like popping items out of the floor for secrets or something, they can be pretty handy.

That's the kind of difficulty I'm not a fan of. I don't mind challenging gameplay, but if you're just going to reduce health to 0 for every room you enter, what's the point? And I consider myself a Doom masochist.

I wasn't a huge fan myself. But then again I didn't much like epic2, UAC Ultra (sorry 40), those honorable mentions this year, not to mention any of the Scythes, Hell Revealed, Karma Sutra, etc etc etc. They all generally bore me off my gord. So what I'm doing here, I have no idea.

NT

NaturalTvventy said:

I wasn't a huge fan myself. But then again I didn't much like epic2, UAC Ultra (sorry 40), those honorable mentions this year, not to mention any of the Scythes, Hell Revealed, Karma Sutra, etc etc etc. They all generally bore me off my gord. So what I'm doing here, I have no idea.

NT

What do you like? >_>

40oz said:
I've gotten used to the fact that hard maps require a good bit of "preknowledge" (a word I think should come up in reviews a lot these days)

"Foreknowledge" is an actual word :) I also like "clairvoyance"

Given that you usually have to play the levels and probably die a few times to get through, isn't it more like hindsight? :P

I love Speed of Doom, especially for it's lively gameplay. There is one level I didn't enjoy (Honeycombs in Hell or something like that, ugh)... but overall it is a solid levelset! Cliffside Siege, Dreamscape, and Vile Pain are among my favorite maps of all time.

Tbh I don't mind monsters popping up beneath the floor like that hehe, it did look a bit messy for a while, but then after a while I kinda just got used to it.

I really hope that there's going to be a sequel! :D

I have to admit I dislike monsters popping up out of the floor instantly and it's used a lot in SoD, however this mild dislike is tame compared to my profound annoyance with people who play UV even though they shouldn't and insist every wad should be made easier even though 9 out of 10 wads are already cakewalks on anything but Nightmare.

NaturalTvventy said:

I didn't much like epic2,
NT

You have no taste in doom maps.Not liking Uac Ultra was already pretty bad,but epic2?!WTF?

Phml said:

I have to admit I dislike monsters popping up out of the floor instantly and it's used a lot in SoD, however this mild dislike is tame compared to my profound annoyance with people who play UV even though they shouldn't and insist every wad should be made easier even though 9 out of 10 wads are already cakewalks on anything but Nightmare.

I've been more welcoming of playing wads on different skill levels, but the difficulty curve doesn't really cover a wide spectrum. The change in difficulty is hardly even noticeable.

I absolutely love Speed of Doom. Its ultra fucking brutal, but I dont mind since I rarely play single player anyway :P

The map layouts/visuals/scenery/atmosphere are absolutely top notch. Extremely impressive. Its only surpassed by AV, but thats just because AV has a special place in my heart (aaawww so cute :P)

When it comes to monsters popping up from the ground, I dont mind it at all. Its just fucking evil. A fine mix is of course preferable though.
Also "fast" or "turbo" tags are way better than tag 19 (instant).

Speed of Doom <3 All hail!

UAC Ultra's UV difficulty was perfect. More often than not I found the fights fun and several of them intense but doable. If I died it was usually a mistake on my behalf.

I've been more welcoming of playing wads on different skill levels, but the difficulty curve doesn't really cover a wide spectrum. The change in difficulty is hardly even noticeable.

Even if there is no difficulty set except for UV, playing on ITYTD you take half damage and you have double ammo. If *that* isn't noticeable, then just autoload a dehacked patch replacing stimpacks with invul spheres, because at that point nothing else will help.

I haven't read all the replies yet. Just want to clarify my intention with this thread.

The only thing I wanted to criticize was popping up of monsters. I'm not concerned with the difficulty. I stopped playing the mapset around level 4 or 5 and the difficulty was fine. It was the popping up of monsters that was just ruining the experience. It doesn't so much have to do with the gameplay (although its not my idea of ideal doom gameplay and it does get pretty repetitive to keep just popping monsters in front of you) as it has to do with what Essel said: there goes my suspension of disbelief. This is made worse because the levels are intelligently designed. They look like they are actually a place in time. They have compelling architecture and atmosphere. And they are consistent in their theme. Doom's appeal is the sense of adventure; of exploring areas and staying alive. The idea that this neat world (the design of the maps; the atmosphere) would have monsters lurking in the dark corners is much more compelling than having monsters popping into view out of nowhere. It just ruins it. It would actually be really cool if we could get permission from the makers of the wad to re-do the monster placement and get rid of all those damn 'pop into existence' monster traps. It ruins what otherwise seems like had the potential to be a great mapset.

geighest = gayest.

When I look at it as a game, and as a built in set of challenge... then the monsters popping up doesn't become a problem for me...

Hellbent said:

Stuff.

You are a spoiled dumbfuck,and this issue is not nearly as important as you make it to be.If you have a problem just edit the monster placement as you said (no one will criticise you for doing it as long as you don't post it).

killer2 said:

You are a spoiled dumbfuck,and this issue is not nearly as important as you make it to be.If you have a problem just edit the monster placement as you said (no one will criticise you for doing it as long as you don't post it).

okay....... (:?)

We are talking about a WAD for Doom and not Doom by itself right? That's what I didn't get.
If so, never tried it. Yet. I assume I can find it floating around somewhere in the archives, right?

EDIT: Found It. Like the comments so far. I'll give this a go and share my opinion.

Bishop said:

We are talking about a WAD for Doom and not Doom by itself right? That's what I didn't get.
If so, never tried it. Yet. I assume I can find it floating around somewhere in the archives, right?

Just search "sod" on /idgames and you will find it.

Bishop said:

Speed of DooM is a 32 level megawad... it can be seen here. http://www.doomworld.com/17years/best3.php

I thought SoD was definitely one of the best wads of the year, just as it was. No changes for me please.

Quasar said:

I thought SoD was definitely one of the best wads of the year, just as it was. No changes for me please.

Pretty much.

All this talk of Speed of DooM is making me wanna play it again. :D