Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lila Feuer

What the hell happened?!

Something incredibly weird just happened to me and my friend now, first off on my end, XWE just crashed (sounds like nothing new right?) well it never really gave me any trouble before so it came off as a shocker that it totally corrupted itself. I tried SLumpEd next in order to view the PWAD macabre3 because I wanted to see how big the maps were. And SLumpEd gave an error about a missing dll. Friend suggested I ditch those programs and grab SLADE and I did, and it too gave me the same errors about a missing dll. So he supplied me with it and I tried again and it requested another dll, tried again and it wanted yet another dll, then it bitched about something I can't even put it into text it's just infinitely retarded. Then it came to my fearful suspicion my registry may of been altered and dlls had been corrupted.

So happens I had to go here and download this pack. After installing it I opened SLADE and it works now. Gave me a bit of a scare, still have no idea why caused this to happen. At first I thought it may of had to do with tampering around inside of UTNT's tntres WAD which is a Goliath of resource packing and this somehow screwed things up royally, but now I'm not even sure because the same thing just happened to my friend just now and their dlls got corrupt too. Anyone have any idea what's going on?!

There are a few Windows programs to fix these sorts of things, Registry Cleaner comes to mind ... I think that's the name of a legit software solution.

From here it sounds like there's malware infecting your systems. This thread in an Australian geek forum is my personal reference for detecting and removing malware using freely available and trusted tools. Hope this helps.

I don't know about your friend's computer, but needing to download that pack in order to use SLADE3 is normal. I had to do it too, and I was similarly baffled by some of the error messages I got before I found out what I needed to install to fix it.

Sometimes it is difficult to see the forest for the trees.

You are not the first and most likely will not be the last to run into that situation.
Because of that the information is now in bold letters and underlined.

I have Spybot S&D and I have been unable to detect anything unusual. It is bizarre because XWE/SLumpEd corrupted themselves before I even tried SLADE. I also made the mistake of downloading the visual studio PDB and not going to the bottom to grab the other thing. Otherwise everything seems OK now.