Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Solarn

Your favourite DECORATE monsters?

There are a lot of custom DECORATE monsters out there that people use in ZDoom (and derivative) wads. Some bad, some good, some average. Many of them are collected on the Realm 667 website, others aren't. What are your favourites?

Mine are the Baron/Knight derivatives. There are less unimaginative recolors than with other monster types and even some of the recolors (the Squire and Profane One from the 667 Beastiary, for example) are solid additions to the Doom cast. There are also new monsters for every difficulty level, from easier than the Knight (the aforementioned Squire) to almost on par with the Cyberdemon (Pyro Demon).

The two that still stick in my mind as being the most fun to fight, were those white Baron's in Strain and those 'evil' marines in Scythe II.

I liked the Barons because their huge spread of projectiles was a lot of fun to try and dodge (and lethal if you fucked up), and damn me if those bloody marines in Scythe II didn't make me nervous everytime I saw one screaming around the map somewhere. (Chances were if you let your guard down, they'd slap you with their plasma.)

I liked the whole enemy group from zen dynamics, like those lost souls that shoot ground flames.
ACS has more power to create complex unique interesting enemies, such as harbringer, or the last map of 'claustrophobia the walls close in'.

I prefer custom monsters that don't add attacks that are completely foreign to Doom but instead fill gaps that the stock cast have left.

I remember liking the charging Demons from the KDiZD and the Cybruiser from Thunderpeak. In my own maps I like using Spectral Imps because they're easy to make even in DeHacked and they cause a threat without being overpowered.

Bruiser Demon, by far.
The graphics fit in very niceley with the other doom monsters, and are more than just recolored version of the originals.
It's attack is original.
It's challenging to fight, but not anywhere close to unfair, unlike the Diabolist >_>

Bishop said:

Bruiser Demon, by far.
The graphics fit in very niceley with the other doom monsters, and are more than just recolored version of the originals.
It's attack is original.
It's challenging to fight, but not anywhere close to unfair, unlike the Diabolist >_>

To be honest, I dislike the Bruiser Demon because it has an attack that messes with the player's controls (the one where it spreads fire on the ground that makes the marine jump around and not respond well to controls). I hate attacks like that, they're cheap and take away the greatest part of Doom, the incredible freedom of movement.

Avatar, Archon of Hell, Blood Fiend, Cybruiser, Dark Imps, Death Knight, Death Incarnate, Devil, Disciple, Diabolist, Hades Elemental, Hellsmith, Hellion, Hell Warrior, Satyr, Shadow, Soul Harvester, Terminator, Wicked.

Shadow, Soul Harvester, Catharsi, and Terminator are a few of my favorites. For the most part, my favorite custom monsters come from KDiZD; while it has some that seemed superfluous or unappealing to me, it also has quite a few (in my eyes, at least) worthy additions that are fun and interesting to fight, and are professional and unique in their appearance.

Let's all leech images, because bandwidth is overrated and it gives a pretext to spam the forum with multiple posts.

k.
My favourite by far is this one,

not because hes highly over or underpowered,
but hes truly fun to kill. :)

Just make a map with 1000 on them running up to you, shoot one, and watch all of them EXPLODE.

Fun.

Gez said:

Let's all leech images, because bandwidth is overrated and it gives a pretext to spam the forum with multiple posts.

I didn't even realize they were linking to images from the Realm 667 site.

Please everyone, upload the images to a free host and replace the links, you're costing the Realm 667 people bandwidth.

I'd have to say those plasma marines from Scythe 2 :P. I personally find most of the zombie derivatives really fun to kill on realm 667, like the rocketeers and the suicide bombers for example. I'm always love the simple, expendable enemies rather than over 9000 reskinned baron clones with more hp and a copypaste attack or whatever (I even hate the bruiser demons, even though they are original)... a reskin exception being the leaping blood demons in KDiZD.

I like all sorts of custom monsters, ranging from simple alterations of Zombies and Imps to completely unique creations such as the Overlord.

Hellion (AEoD version). Along with the normal fireball attack, it has the ability to turn you into a chicken. Fun.