Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

Sunder demos [-complevel 9]

cute, using the cybs to thin out the final rev horde was clever :)

I remember doing a few pacifists for this forever ago, I recall oku mentioning he thought 12 was also possible, but I haven't been able to survive the second-to-last arena.

Hmm, long-ish pacifists (i.e., the ones that aren't 'grind for a single AV jump') might be a superior way to play Doom than maxing, especially where lots of dodging and evasion in close quarters is required.

Edit: This is the map with the quadrillion cacodemons! I really didn't want this demo to end. :( So good.

why does it have to be a north directed glide :(, you should at least mention it in the txt file to make sure everyone knows the true difficulty of this demo.

Wow. Pacifist madness all over sunder. Amazing demos from some of the best speedrunners around and im loving it. Honestly i never thought non-TAS speedruns were possible in sunder at one point but you guys make it look so easy. Great job.

rdwpa said:

Randomly decided to watch Okupluk's map06 in 15:15 again. What the fuck?

I remember playing this map a year ago and thinking the beginning part where the monsters start spawning in after climbing the stairs was impossible. I wonder how many attempts that took because there is a cyber banging you from behind and not enough rockets to take on the horde. I'd love to see another demo of someone attempting to max this even if they don't beat 15:15.

PjSpartacus said:

I remember playing this map a year ago and thinking the beginning part where the monsters start spawning in after climbing the stairs was impossible. I wonder how many attempts that took because there is a cyber banging you from behind and not enough rockets to take on the horde. I'd love to see another demo of someone attempting to max this even if they don't beat 15:15.

Just watched that demo. So Insane. Had he not taken some damage at the beginning this demo was a reality. It really surprised me how he managed to avoid almost all projectiles that was fired on such a map where limited space is available for maneuver.

Okuplok is indeed evil!!!

I too would love to see this map beaten. Ancalagon should really give this map a go.

It's so interesting to see how on the first page people were talking about these maps being too hard to max, and now we're playing them pacifist style. The times sure have changed.

In fact, the only thing that remained the same is that there is still no download link in the first post!

rdwpa said:

Randomly decided to watch Okupluk's map06 in 15:15 again. What the fuck?

i think thats my favourite demo of all the time
he stays untouched for around 10minutes in a map like that, no time to hesitate and still no mistakes. picking an invulnerability at the very last blink of the previous one in a horde of monsters using rockets... and much more.
again, probably the best demo i've ever seen, or among the top3 of such a list
I think i've watched that demo a rough dozen of times too, lol

I love these runs. Never played the maps, would die instantly.

Protip: In some large max runs, you might want to try standing closer to the ledge edges to cause more infights. This is generally an overlooked strategy! You know, some maps have those huge areas with good visibility and high ledges, so when you are at a ledge shooting your rockets for a few minutes, try to keep your position close to the edge to increase the probability that some distant monster targets you and initiates infights. Of course it is safer to be a few metres away from the ledge edge, but the RNG god favors those who live on the edge. The rule of thumb: Always stay close to the ledge edge!

Map 03 Pacifist in 3:03.
Map 06 NM-Speed in 1:40.

Other two pacifists look a bit too hard for non-TAS, TAS might be possible, though.

It probably doesn't matter much, but for what it's worth, these demos were recorded with an old PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4.test that doesn't have two-button strafe50. :P

su_shock.zip

SWDude said:

Just watched that demo. So Insane. Had he not taken some damage at the beginning this demo was a reality. It really surprised me how he managed to avoid almost all projectiles that was fired on such a map where limited space is available for maneuver.

Okuplok is indeed evil!!!

I too would love to see this map beaten. Ancalagon should really give this map a go.

It's kind of shocking how much worse Okupluk's map10 in 40:42 is. It's like, his trademarks are his dodging skills and his preternaturally steely nerves, but he takes a crapload of sloppy damage in cleanup and even has a few mouse shakes that betray nervousness.

Very nice to see so many pacifist/nightmare runs on sunder.wad maps; pacifist/nightmare runs were supposed to have been quite impossible on these maps... It seems an alleged/assumed "aura of impossibility" has quite some stimulating effect on some of the best doom runners... ;)

[Now, doom2 map2 pacifist, anyone? ;)]

4shockblast said:

Still 100 times harder than any of the pacifists in this thread. ;)

Perhaps more like 10,000 times harder :P

PjSpartacus said:

That teleporter ambush at the start definitely has a dice roll factor to it, you can get an ideal or miserable outcome depending on how fast the monsters teleport in and when the viles arrive, the most ideal scenario is if all 3 viles arrive immediately so they die easily as opposed to coming in late and getting trapped behind a meatshield of HKs and Revs. Also it's heavily luck based whether the Cyb above you decides to randomly fire a rocket below, so you can't adopt a consistent movement pattern of circle strafing in that little corner but have to hug the wall at times.

Oku was very lucky in his run as the monsters did teleport in slowly and the Cyb wasn't a dick so he could pretty much stay in the same spot and make slight strafing movements as opposed to what happens most of the time, which is you get overrun from fast teleports and get backed right into the corner by the stairs and sometimes have to make a dash across and around back to the start.

Their are enough rockets if your able to brush past the Cyb at the top of stairs to snag the supply in his alcove, but for the purpose of a run it's best to use around 30 then switch to plasma because you need to save rockets to clear the top corner in the event the Cyb didn't infight with the HK's and Revs, along with the HKs/Barons and Cacos in the next area.

Here are some failys from when I tried in March :F with more optimal ammo usage a low 13:xx is possible with even sub 13 if the beginning is handled smoothly with good rng as that takes the most time.

Ancalagon said:

Map07 pacifist in 17:49 :P

lol amazing, cool and i honestly didnt think so long pacifist demos could be so entertaining to watch. was wrong, eheh

Thx for the fail demos bloody. These runs were a lot more consistent with the mayhem I was experiencing with this map. I wonder If a UV-Max route can be created from the uv-speed and pacifist routes with the archvile jump. If you just skip to the end of the map and allow as much infighting as possible then backtrack to clean up. I think you won't have the plasma though. I won't be the one to try this....