...that you wish were possible?

I've always wanted to be able to do things like:

-get stomped on by the Cyberdemon
-run under the Spider Mastermind and shoot up at its underbelly
-slice off enemy's body parts with the chainsaw
-jump on the back of a demon and ride on it
-get picked up and thrown by a Baron or Hell Knight
-rip a Zombieman's heart out with the berserk fist

...which of course aren't possible in the original engine.

There are very few things that I find not possible in Doom these days, especially with sourceports and all. The basic gameplay for everything is pretty damn near perfect There are few things that I wish Doom had already implemented in the game that I wouldn't need to use DECORATE files to have, but they're mostly for how the game looks.

-I wish weapons had much more frames of animation, much like perkristians smooth weapon animations.
-Berserk punches should sound significantly louder and violent, and the punch should look a lot more fierce, like Hexen's fighter for example of both.
-Bullet case ejections would be cool
-It would be cooler if the field of view would shake more with things like running, falling, taking damage, being near explosions, and the weapon bob could definitely use some work.
-More strobing lighting effects in mapping to pick from
-Blood splats could be a little cooler. Even if it were simple like falling in any direction other than straight downward, like Heretic or Hexen's.
-Liquid splashes would be cool too.
-Falling animations for monsters that are dead in midair.
-Monster corpses sliding off ledges they're hanging over like in PrBoom
-Alternate death animations for monsters. Even if it were just the same death sprites mirrored I'd appreciate that.

bgraybr said:

those 2 would probably never be possible no matter what port you use.
For the spider part, I'd like to see how long anyone would last before even gettting close to it. lol

bgraybr said:

-slice off enemy's body parts with the chainsaw

You could do this yes, but not aim at a specific body part and take it off. Not even with zdoom.

This that I wish could have been possible at the time... Jumping and freelooking. Not but it was like, a bad thing. but that would have blown my mind. Much, much more than Doom aready did.
Back then, I'm pretty sure there were strict limits for everything.

-when in berserk mode, be able to punch a zombie's head off
-different gory deaths (other than just monsters turning into that bloody mess)
-more sounds for the monsters waking up.
-having the monsters do more than just stand and wait for you or patrol. Kind of make them seem like they actually have lives other than turning doomguy into a pulp.

Random, calculated yet sporadic thing spawning/despawning at varying degrees according to difficulty. I'd love to round a familiar corner - say, part of the maze in e1m4 - only to run face first into a Demon that by all rights isn't supposed to be there.

I'm not talking huge makeovers in the monster make-up, just small things. Things large enough to make the player aware of a difference yet small enough not to disrupt the gameplay. Doom's replayability is top notch, but for me this would be icing on the cake.

DoomHero85 said:

when in berserk mode, be able to punch a zombie's head off

Personally, there's nothing I enjoy more than watching the slushy, mutilated chunks of a stray Zombieman retain all of its organs within its hitbox as it's blasted across the room from a rocket/knockout. It's as though an invisible bin liner wraps itself around the monster at the point of impact.

Hilarious. Wouldn't have it any other way.

DoomHero85 said:

-having the monsters do more than just stand and wait for you or patrol. Kind of make them seem like they actually have lives other than turning doomguy into a pulp.

ugh, NO!!

While we're on the topic, here are things that could enhance the Doom experience without fundamentally changing it. These ideas would probably best suited for a source port, because id would have had to have waited a couple more years for Ken Silverman to perfect the Build engine, if they wanted to add most of these things to the original game.

*Use of the visor like in the alpha version. It could haved looked really cool if tweaked or made transparent in a source port.

*A more futuristic take on the weapons. I don't have any specific examples, but maybe the use of concetrated heat and light, bullets that seek out only organic targets or refuse to fire at friendlies, projectiles of nanobots that paralyze or implode enemies, etc. But that's hard to do even on a source port.

*Gradual healing. Given that this is in the future, I don't see any reason why the medikits couldn't consist of injections of nanobots that slowly repair damage over a period. Perhaps instead of instantly raising your health 25%, your health could gradually rise back to one hundred for a brief period, allowing you to take extra damage.

*Bleeding that leaves a texture on the ground.

*Not just multiple enemy deaths/gibs, but multiple attacks, too. The barons/hell knights throwing you across the room is a really cool idea. The demons could also head-butt you; lost souls could use their fire exhaust to exhale flames at you; Mancubi could melee you with their enormous cannons; Cyberdemons could stomp you, as was previously mentioned.

*Speaking of enemies, different classes of each type would be cool but time consuming. I've played wads with many variations on characters but I'm talking more about age. Like perhaps there are immature, younger cacodemons that are smaller but faster moving, and have a slightly different fireball attack. Or old revanants that are slow moving but have more armor and a more dangerous attack. Or young mancubi that are thin and very fast, but have less powerful cannons. Perhaps an old spider mastermind that is too weak to walk but able to hatch archnotrons.

*I mentioned this in another thread, but I would have liked if the status screens in Doom 1 had been the basis of the actual levels. You wouldn't need the Doom 3 engine to pull it off, just some clever Gzdoom tricks. Those status screens are really cool and I think it would be a lot of fun to play maps that looked like those structures!

*More city levels in Doom 2, like Downtown. Part of Doom's charm is the abstract nature of the maps, but Downtown had a really unique feel that I think should have been used in a few other maps. Same goes for Suburbs.

bgraybr said:

You could possibly do this, I have seen mods where cars which can be entered, used and then exited in Zdoom (see doomcenter, it uses cars as DECORATE powerups which morph you into a car playerclass). However, it would probably have to be a seperate demon, not just a normal one. You could add to the storyline a demon was "trained" to be doomguy's steed.

Also, you would have to make every frame for a marine riding the demon, which would probably be painstaking. I'm not too sure if you would be able to use normal weapons while riding the demon, but you could definitley use it's bite attack.

bgraybr said:

...that you wish were possible?

I've always wanted to be able to do things like:

-rip a Zombieman's heart out with the berserk fist

...which of course aren't possible in the original engine.

Haha! Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom! That is awesome. That would be a sick mod.

Some Italian guy posted on the forums mentioning he had all these levels and resources he had made ages ago but no longer knew how to load them. One of the things he mentioned making was a replacement for the chainsaw: ride on the back of a demon.

GoatLord said:

*Gradual healing. Given that this is in the future, I don't see any reason why the medikits couldn't consist of injections of nanobots that slowly repair damage over a period. Perhaps instead of instantly raising your health 25%, your health could gradually rise back to one hundred for a brief period, allowing you to take extra damage.

If this was in the original doom, I would have played it for more than a few minuets.
If there was regenerating health, there would be no challenge in most maps, as after every fight you could just waste a few minutes doing nothing while you wait for your health to reach 100. One of the best things about doom is that you need to search around for helpful items, which in most cases is health. Doom with regenerating health would be a completely different game than the one that we all know. Health systems like this may work in entirely linear modern games, but definitely not Doom.

I can think of a way to make shooting the Spider Mastermind's 'underbelly', but it would require GZDoom.

First the spider would have to be a 3D model (or possibly voxel), and secondly the actual actor would have to float a certain distance above the ground to allow the player to move under it, which could be done with ACS. On the other hand the spider's legs would be completely collision free, and the floating might not be very robust with changing floor heights.

I would like to see an additional option. When toggled, monsters become intelligent. Same species like to group up when threatened, and calculate routes to ambush and surprise the player etc.

DoomHero85 said:

-more sounds for the monsters waking up.

Completely possible using a ZDoom based port.

Mr. Chris said:

Completely possible using a ZDoom based port.

Most of the things listed in this thread can be accomplished in mods for advanced source ports. That's not really the point. :P

GoatLord said:

While we're on the topic, here are things that could enhance the Doom experience without fundamentally changing it. These ideas would probably best suited for a source port, because id would have had to have waited a couple more years for Ken Silverman to perfect the Build engine, if they wanted to add most of these things to the original game.

*Use of the visor like in the alpha version. It could haved looked really cool if tweaked or made transparent in a source port.

Now there's an idea I'd like to see in Doom - it could be similar to the visor from Metroid Prime, complete with a few nifty effects like your eyes being reflected in the visor when an explosion lights up your face (as happens occasionally in MP) or perhaps spatters of blood landing on your visor from a close-range shot.

GoatLord said:

If I wanted that, I'd play Halo.

GoatLord said:

*Bleeding that leaves a texture on the ground.

#Blood trails?

I have read a couple of scifi books where they have medical nanonics they slap onto a wound that will heal it. Maybe something like that. A green rubbery sticky bandage that you can slap on and it binds to the flesh and heals you that way. That way you would get gradually better and heal from injuries.

having monsters leaving blood trails would be good for hunting if monsters could retreat to get reinforcements when they are injured.

Oh i forgot to mention that I wish nightmare were a little more controlled. Especially with higher level monsters receiving the same range of respawn time as the lower level, which makes it so they take longer to kill than they do to respawn. The shortest respawn time in the range should be clipped depending on the monster's health. Nightmare would be a little more playable that way. I love the concept it just needs tweaking to be considered an actual skill level instead of a gimmick.

bgraybr said:

Ironically, this would probably be the least efficient way to attack it: while its massive brain is exposed, its "underbelly" looks like a a full-metal, armored hull, so if anything it would be its more resistant part.

It'd be funnier to jump atop the spiderdemon instead. Good luck aiming that machine gun at something that's using your own brain as a cover, "mastermind"!

With the chaindaw, you could carve yourself a little grotto within its brains. Maybe you could try prodding it here and there to see if you can get control and use it as a tank to attack other demons.

As an alternative to mass extermination, being able to sit down opposite a monster and talk things over with him until he slinks off the battlefield. Maybe he just wanted to be a structural engineer, or practice stonemasonry or something.

"There's got to be another way!"

st.alfonzo said:

"There's got to be another way!"

Doom: Bible Edition? :-p

bgraybr said:

There's a skulltag mod (Master of Puppets, or shortly "mop") which lets you possess monsters, and works in both i and pwads (as long as they don't have decorate entries).

It's pretty cool, and sadly few people know about it.

st.alfonzo said:

As an alternative to mass extermination, being able to sit down opposite a monster and talk things over with him until he slinks off the battlefield. Maybe he just wanted to be a structural engineer, or practice stonemasonry or something.

I suggested something along vaguely similar lines as a demo category:

Ethical law enforcement: You can only use force in retaliation - until a monster has tried to attack you, you may not harm it. Warning shots are allowed. Shouting "drop your weapons, you are under arrest" is not mandatory though.

Of course, you can always play pacifist style - almost all of the original maps are quite feasible that way. Anyway, the way Doom works is more akin to how negotiation goes in the real world: you can be as patient and reasonable as you like, and the other guy will still come back and bite you in the ass.

st.alfonzo said:
Maybe he just wanted to be a structural engineer, or practice stonemasonry or something.

Ahhh...the "Hitler just wanted to be a painter" theory.

Encryptic said:

Ahhh...the "Hitler just wanted to be a painter" theory.

Anyone else see an "Artimpse" mod, where the imps are dressed up in sterotypical Salvador Dali "painter" attire, carry a palette, and splash paint at you until Doomguy's face turns into a "masterpiece" ?

Gez said:

With the chaindaw, you could carve yourself a little grotto within its brains. Maybe you could try prodding it here and there to see if you can get control and use it as a tank to attack other demons.

LOL
That's actually a really, really funny idea. And perfectly doable with decorate. Just need to make sprite edits of the Doom marine sitting inside it's brain =)

Bishop said:

LOL
That's actually a really, really funny idea. And perfectly doable with decorate. Just need to make sprite edits of the Doom marine sitting inside it's brain =)

Heh, a spider mastermind or an arachnotron with a giant Doom marine helmet for a head would be disturbing.