Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bgraybr

Things not possible in Doom...

Baby Bonnie Hood said:

If I wanted that, I'd play Halo.

Well, that's why I said that it would be brief. It wouldn't be like Gears of War or something where your health just completely regenerates indefinitely. It would basically heal you for perhaps 30% worth, then stops. It would just be gradual instead of instant. It wouldn't be the type of thing where you can just keep taking damage for the rest of the level.

40oz said:

-Alternate death animations for monsters. Even if it were just the same death sprites mirrored I'd appreciate that.

Yes this would've been a nice touch.

Also, patroling enemies like in Wolf3D would be nice too. Why they removed that or whatever is beyond me. Also, why not just a simple standing animation?

GoatLord said:

Well, that's why I said that it would be brief. It wouldn't be like Gears of War or something where your health just completely regenerates indefinitely. It would basically heal you for perhaps 30% worth, then stops. It would just be gradual instead of instant. It wouldn't be the type of thing where you can just keep taking damage for the rest of the level.

Kind of sounds like how healing items work in New Vegas (+ stimpacks for HC). Working that way would be rather interesting for Doom, it gradually restoring that particular item's healing capability worth of health rather than instantly +10 or +25-ing it.

GoatLord said:

*Gradual healing.

GoatLord said:

The health system is one the better parts of Doom. No bullshit. You need health? Get some! Back in action!

If I could change one this in Doom it would be room over room. I don't even want it to use. I simply would like to make a sky tall without it affecting my building sizes.

Doom actually does heal up to 1% but not if you're dead.

Here is a crazy one who my brother thought when he was young:
- Press SPACE on the monster and you'll open and split it into two parts :P

40oz said:
It would be cooler if the field of view would shake more with things like ... being near explosions ...

Pretty recently, I played a map set that did this. Exploding barrels, rockets, and the BFG blast would shake the field of view. Your proximity to the explosion would determine the intensity of the shaking. I can't remember the name of the map, but I think it was featured in one of past few newstuffs.

40oz said:
Alternate death animations for monsters.

I've always wanted to see gib animations for every monster up to and including the baron of hell, or essentially any monster that can be killed with one BFG blast (not including the spider mastermind, of course).

DoomHero85 said:
Having the monsters do more than just stand and wait for you...

That would be neat. It would increase the variety of individual encounters. Of course, the mapper could specify which monsters would do what and go where, and which would stay in their designated areas.

Gez said:
With the chainsaw, you could carve yourself a little grotto within its brains. Maybe you could try prodding it here and there to see if you can get control and use it as a tank to attack other demons.

This reminds me of a particular scene in the third Doom novel in which the characters encounter a group of imps who were eating a dead spider mastermind. When the imps notice the group of marines, one of them reaches down into the spider-chassis and begins firing the chaingun at them.

Levels related to their names.
Like E1M1, if it's named Hangar, it should have a HANGAR in it.

Guns that doesn't gets completely replaced as when you find new ones. Like, the Pistol turns obsolete after you find the Chaingun, that has the same spread, same firepower, but higher fire rate.

-rip a Zombieman's heart out with the berserk fist
------------------
Here is a crazy one who my brother thought when he was young:
- Press SPACE on the monster and you'll open and split it into two parts :P

It would be cooler if the field of view would shake more with things like ... being near explosions ...

[B]
-slice off enemy's body parts with the chainsaw

-different gory deaths (other than just monsters turning into that bloody mess)

*Bleeding that leaves a texture on the ground.

I did pretty much everything (or similiar to it) listed here in a mod called Brutal Doom.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I did pretty much everything (or similiar to it) listed here in a mod called Brutal Doom.

Wait, you listed my post, you actually made a splitting monster or anything else?

C30N9 said:

Wait, you listed my post, you actually made a splitting monster or anything else?

Yes. Just like you described.
In Brutal Doom, when a player gets a Berserk, it can use it in 2 ways:
Using the Alt-Fire button will do a slow and strong punch that will blow up monsters to pieces (much like the original one), but using the normal fire, it will give quick punches, and if you kill a monster with those punches, then it will start a 3rd person view cutscene where player executes a finishing move (A Fatality, in other words) that varies with the kind of monster. With zombieman, it will grab him, and rip him in two pieces with the bare hands, with the shotgunner, it will grab his neck, and remove his head. With an Imp, it will trow the imp on the ground, and curbstomp him.

bgraybr said:

-jump on the back of a demon and ride on it

This is possible too. I'm also WORKING on it. The next version of Brutal Doom will feature it.

I would have liked to have seen a more clear distinction between hell and techbase. It's weird that you look outside and a mountain range with an atmosphere is present on a Martian moon. I know it's nit-picking, but a more accurate sky would have been craters and twinkling space with Mars in the distance. I played an old wad that had that sky, actually.

I played an old wad that had that sky, actually

Probably Roger Ritenour's "Phobos", a spectacular mapset I might add. "Earth" by the same author was similarly awesome.

I'd be cool if there was a feasible way to make better 3D slopes (by 3D slopes I mean 3D floating floors that are slopes). That way we could make demonic growth coming out of the ground like this:

__
  \ \__
   \__ \
      \ \
       \ \
======================
Now that is probably doable, but it's pretty much near impossible without some insane amount of work to make slopes above ground.

Or is this possible? If someone has a guide on *exactly* how to do it (and not that wad that someone uploaded on zdoom forum that you have to back engineer) I'd make a shrine of you.

bgraybr said:

...that you wish were possible?

I've always wanted to be able to do things like:

-get stomped on by the Cyberdemon
-run under the Spider Mastermind and shoot up at its underbelly
-slice off enemy's body parts with the chainsaw
-jump on the back of a demon and ride on it
-get picked up and thrown by a Baron or Hell Knight
-rip a Zombieman's heart out with the berserk fist

...which of course aren't possible in the original engine.

Most of these ideas are totally not Doomy.

st.alfonzo said:

Random, calculated yet sporadic thing spawning/despawning at varying degrees according to difficulty. I'd love to round a familiar corner - say, part of the maze in e1m4 - only to run face first into a Demon that by all rights isn't supposed to be there.

You can actually do this very easily in ZDoom.

What you have to do is make a new monster type (for each monster in Doom) that is actually entirely invisible, silent, moves extremely fast and disregards the player. It will randomly move around the map. At specific intervals, it will spawn a monster at its current position.

I used to restrict them to blood textured floors and then make the animation of a monster spawning be the reverse of its death animation (like an Archvile revival) complete with the gibbing sound.

This made it look like that monster was being materialized out a soup of gore.

Although you don't need to restrict it to certain parts of the map, but its just creepy as hell when you do it in blood, especially for dark maps.

Oh yeah, and for it to work effectively, you need to modify all monsters to roam around the map, or else they just sit there and do nothing.

A thread about things not possible in Doom results in ideas that correspond to something else than Doom? Whowoudathunkit.

sometimes the number of people who play doom baffles me too when so many people think doom would be better with massive gameplay overhauls. There are so many different games out there.

I like DooM the way it is. Just about every idea I've seen thrown around here would probably make me enjoy it less. Fuck, and E1 would look dull as fuck with a starry mars sky. Goatlord should be losered for even daring to think something like that haha. ;)

40oz said:

so many people think doom would be better

I call strawman. Nobody claimed it would make a better game. People are just chatting about stuff that they, personally, would like to be able do in game. That doesn't necessarily mean that the game is bad because they can't, or that it would be better if they could.

E.g., I like to be able to cheat in a game because it can be useful for testing stuff; but playing while cheating doesn't make the game better because the game experience is actually less enjoyable.

I don't see where is the arm in a few people idly chatting about pie-in-the-sky ideas. The worst that could happen is that someone makes a mod that you won't want to play, oh noes! More realistically, though, nothing will happen at all.

Of course I suppose Doomworld could be a discussion forum where every thread is about how Doom is perfect and absolutely nothing about should ever be changed or whatever. It sure would make for some entertaining reading!

Gez said:

I call strawman. Nobody claimed it would make a better game. People are just chatting about stuff that they, personally, would like to be able do in game. That doesn't necessarily mean that the game is bad because they can't, or that it would be better if they could.

E.g., I like to be able to cheat in a game because it can be useful for testing stuff; but playing while cheating doesn't make the game better because the game experience is actually less enjoyable.

I don't see where is the arm in a few people idly chatting about pie-in-the-sky ideas. The worst that could happen is that someone makes a mod that you won't want to play, oh noes! More realistically, though, nothing will happen at all.

Of course I suppose Doomworld could be a discussion forum where every thread is about how Doom is perfect and absolutely nothing about should ever be changed or whatever. It sure would make for some entertaining reading!

As they all say,haters gonna hate...I personally found these ideas pretty cool (well,some of them)

cbronson said:

Everything we always wanted in a game will be in the next Doom.

No.

It's hard to imagine how id can wow us with the next Doom. Classic Doom's implausibly fast running speed, large numbers of enemies and abstract design didn't carry over to Doom 3; I don't expect to see it in the next one, either. I question whether or not the experience can really work with modern hardware.

Not to demean id's game design skillz, but it will probably be another shooter with dark corridors, slow walking speed, a fuckton of intensive graphical effects, and every monster encounter will feel like an eternity.

I really don't see how any modern FPS could possibly escape this trope.

You realize you're hoping that a game development company will follow the same recipe used in a 10 and a 13yo game respectively?

Either they will do something radically new which none of us can really foresee (pretty much like the original Doom) or just meet the current market demand.