Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valhallaist

Jump/Crouch options in Zdoom

Does anyone like me use these just for the lulz? I don't use it to my advantage...much. But I find that my gaming experience is enhanced by randomly jumping around.

I think everyone does that. It's irresistable. I use jumping in maps where it's required, but I don't touch it in Vanilla maps or maps that forbid its use. Has the ducking been improved? I mean, visually? Last time I used Gzdoom I remember the ducking producing an undesireable squashing of the sprite. Granted, drawing 50-60 extra frames just to have him duck is very, very time consuming, but it sure would be neat.

I never jump when playing a vanilla doom wad or on a level for any source port that doesn't have a jumping feature. Sometimes when I'm testing a level I made I jump over obstacles to navigate the map quicker. I've found that there are tons of jumping related glitches in ZDoom. You can jump while crouching by letting go of the jump button in mid air while holding the crouch button, and you can jump large distances in the air by pointing the rocket launcher at the ground, running, jumping, and shooting at the same time.

GoatLord said:

Last time I used Gzdoom I remember the ducking producing an undesireable squashing of the sprite. Granted, drawing 50-60 extra frames just to have him duck is very, very time consuming, but it sure would be neat.

There's been a crouching sprite for the player in (G)ZDoom for quite a while now.

Only for the Doom player. Nobody has come forward to submit ones for the other players. Also, it has to be specified somewhere so if you create a new player class and omit the crouch sprite it still gets squashed. Some visual feedback is needed after all to show that the player is crouched.

Jump and crouch are both useful for confusing enemies, especially on -fast...bit of extra agility goes a long way in tight spots. Only thing I don't use it for is shortcutting to places I've not visited yet. (on non-jumping maps)

in the original doom second lev there was a room that was a secret to open that was filled with zombies and commanders i dont know if the original version alows jump but if you jump and then crouch you can enter at which point it opens a section of the wall and reveals a path
to a alternate exit

i dont know......

tomthecrazzy said:

in the original doom second lev there was a room that was a secret to open that was filled with zombies and commanders i dont know if the original version alows jump but if you jump and then crouch you can enter at which point it opens a section of the wall and reveals a path
to a alternate exit

i dont know......

Third level, actually. And there's a much more elaborate way to get there, since you're not supposed to jump through that opening.

No, you couldn't jump or crouch in the original, or on Heretic, Doom95, Boom, etc. Doing so on the original maps, or anything made for vanilla Doom, Boom, or other early ports can severely break the map and create major shortcuts. For example, MAP07 can be completed in a few seconds with jumping enabled*. I wouldn't jump if I were you, it ruins maps not made for it.

*MAP07 can actually be completed in a few seconds without jumping, but it involves a complex rocket-jump.

Processingcontrol said:

I wouldn't jump if I were you, it ruins maps not made for it.

I guess I'm lucky that you're not me.

Weapon mods, speedrunning tricks, mouselook, and cheat codes also break maps that weren't designed with them in mind. I don't actually care for half of those things, but I'm sure somebody does. Doom is a private passtime, and I don't feel guilty for abusing old creations in new ways; it's unreasonable to always expect good results when you do so, but it can be an interesting way to liven up maps that are otherwise not worth revisiting.