Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Speedrunning in PSX Final Doom

I've owned the PSX version of Final Doom for some 12 years now, maybe longer. I got really tired of jotting down passwords (recall that it didn't make use of the memory card), so I decided to create a new challenege for myself: play as far as I can on either of the three episodes on just one life. It's actually become quite fun and addictive. I used to spend a long time in each level, but now I zoom through them at lightning speed, trying to find the fastest route as well as exploiting secrets. It's a unique challenege because the mouse and keyboard that Doom was designed for is much easier to deal with than the PSX controller.

Clonehunter said:

Three epsiodes?

TNT, Plutonia... What else is on the PSX version?

Its hardly a Final Doom port. It has most of the Master Levels on the first episode (The one official source of a good level order for them no less, that also isnt a hassle to play), then a pile of TNT levels, then a handful of Plutonia levels.

What I would have liked, is if I could play the "legit" ultra-violence versions of those levels. That setting, on the PS1, is more or less the "Hurt me Plenty" mode. Same goes for Doom PS1. It's an especially crying shame on Final Doom PS1 because the barons and mancubi only make guests appearances, and there's no spidey or arch-viles. I recall seeing some website demonstrating how you could somehow mod your Final Doom disc, but it seemed complicated.

GoatLord said:

I recall seeing some website demonstrating how you could somehow mod your Final Doom disc, but it seemed complicated.

Can you link it? I'm interested in seeing this, as I love PSX Doom and Final Doom even more than the PC versions.

Kinda off topic, but anyone know why we haven't seen a TC for PSX Final Doom yet?

Mattfrie1 said:

Can you link it? I'm interested in seeing this, as I love PSX Doom and Final Doom even more than the PC versions.

Kinda off topic, but anyone know why we haven't seen a TC for PSX Final Doom yet?

I believe one was planned, but I don't know if it ever took off. I'd definitely play it if it existed.