Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZnorX

*.x to DOOM converter?

Hi there, first time poster, long time WADer.

I couldn't find an answer suitable to my question so I'm creating a new thread here, sorry if it's a duplicate. MODs are welcome to merge this with an appropriate thread if needed.

It's been over a decade since I last did any DOOM levels, my fave editor was/is DEU (for DOS and later for Win).

Anywho...
Does there exist a utility which imports *.x files and then converts/exports either to *.BSP or *.WAD (sorry, don't recall which comes first. The *.WAD is the "container" right?)

What I'd like to do is make a general layout of a level in a 3D editor of my preference and spit that out as a *.x, convert that file and, if possible open that up in WinDEU.

Yes, the levels will not have any abnormal edges, surfaces, just plain chunks of blocks. Single sided, not double-faced.

Just wondering, as this would cut down my productivity time considerably.

Thanks for any help!

ZnorX said:

Hi there, first time poster, long time WADer.

I couldn't find an answer suitable to my question so I'm creating a new thread here, sorry if it's a duplicate. MODs are welcome to merge this with an appropriate thread if needed.

It's been over a decade since I last did any DOOM levels, my fave editor was/is DEU (for DOS and later for Win).

Anywho...
Does there exist a utility which imports *.x files and then converts/exports either to *.BSP or *.WAD (sorry, don't recall which comes first. The *.WAD is the "container" right?)

What I'd like to do is make a general layout of a level in a 3D editor of my preference and spit that out as a *.x, convert that file and, if possible open that up in WinDEU.

Yes, the levels will not have any abnormal edges, surfaces, just plain chunks of blocks. Single sided, not double-faced.

Just wondering, as this would cut down my productivity time considerably.

Thanks for any help!

They say that Doom Builder 2 is better than WinDEU, and that making levels with it is faster than with 3D editors.
As for converting from *.x files (is that some Windows format?), I only know that ajapted wrote some code to make Doom levels from 3D brushes representation, but afaik it only handles cuboid brushes and it's only internally used by Oblige.
BTW, Doom doesn't use BSP files. The level data and nodes are stored separately (almost).

tempun said:

They say that Doom Builder 2 is better than WinDEU, and that making levels with it is faster than with 3D editors.
As for converting from *.x files (is that some Windows format?), I only know that ajapted wrote some code to make Doom levels from 3D brushes representation, but afaik it only handles cuboid brushes and it's only internally used by Oblige.
BTW, Doom doesn't use BSP files. The level data and nodes are stored separately (almost).

Thanks, I'll try and find, and look at that.

I was probably confusing BSP files (and *.mdl) with the Quake format.

BTW, I found this pic last night on a HD of mine, it's nearly a decade old but I remember that the software was free and simple to use, and was able to spit out files in *.x

I remember that the level layout took less than five minutes to make (and isn't anything spectacular) single-plane, no backfaces. But by now I've forgotten which 3D-editor this was, but would love to get my hands on it again.

Do you fine folks have any ideas which non-Doom 3D-editor this might have been made in? :

That structure looks more like a Wolf3D or other raycasting engine map than a DOOM level. The valid inside areas are all composed of cube-shaped cells.

Quasar said:

That structure looks more like a Wolf3D or other raycasting engine map than a DOOM level. The valid inside areas are all composed of cube-shaped cells.

Hmmm ... I remember specifically that it's not from a game-editor/engine.

It was a free, general use, dinky little 3D editor but I don't recall its name :-(

I remember one could "carve" and "fill" areas, but nothing much else really. Oh, and yes Export as *.x