Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Halfblind

Looking for good quality maps

I am looking for some more good quality maps for Doom, Doom 2, Heretic and Hexen, I really don't want to comb the archive for D1 and D2 like I did for Hexen and Heretic. I do go to WIP to see if any of the new maps are out yet as well.

I am intrested in maps with high amount of detail but not overdone as to restrict gameplay. I am not a big fan of besting hords upon hords of enemies. I like more resonable amounts of enemies. I find anywhere from 50 to 250 kills should be a good range to work with. I also like playing levels that time anywhere from 10 to 25 minutes to play. I am a big fan of Hexen's slower more statagy oriented gameplay as well. The maps must work in the vanilla engines or in zDoom. I am not a big fan of the blurring effect that the hardware ports create arround the sprites, but I will deal with it if the maps are any good. Plus none of my computers can run any hardware ports that smoothly. I don't have convenient internet access as well.

With doom and doom 2 I am looking for maps that are focused on the brick, wood and the dark metal texture set, I am guessing like plutonia and D1 E4 look to them. Maps such as these;

The Outer Darkness by Varun Abhirama Krishna for D1
The Lost Gateway by hobomaster22 for D2
Crimson Tomb, and V.O.L. by Ubberdude for D2
Deleted Scene by Russell Pearson for Hexen and D2
Zero Tolerance maps 6 and 7 by Dutch Devil for D2
Claustrophobia 1024 maps 7, 14 and 33 by various for D2
Ultimate Simplicity, Long Library by Agent Spork for D2
Austerity maps 2 and 3 by Tormentor667 for D2 a little long and hard but I am including these anyway.

I am also looking for futuristic maps that are focused on grey and blue textures, I really hate the light grey, silver and white textures from doom. I am looking for maps like these;

Claustrophobia 1024 maps 5 and 6 by various for D2
Scythe X. Episodes 1-2 maps 3, 4 and 6 by Erik Alm
Ultimate Simlicity has maps in this catagory also
Austerity map 1 falls into this catagory.

Other good wads that use GZdoom that are also good are.

The Ultimate Torment & Torture by by Tormentor667 for D2
Sapphire - Orbital Research by Tormentor667 for D2

But my favorite level catagory is dark castles, chapels, crypts and cathederals, maps such as these;

The Ultimate Torment & Torture by by Tormentor667 for D2
Hell's Twisted Influence by Ninja_of_DooM for D2

I would also like to find any new Wads for Heretic and Hexen that have come out in the last 2 years or so. Here is a list of my favorite wads that I have found for both games new and old. I went through most of the Hexen archive in 2008-2009 and the Heretic one in 2010.

For Heretic;

Tower Of Pain by Ubberdude
Cookies on Dowels by Fiend
Fortress of D'Sparil by SlayeR
Khazad-dum by Philippe Lesire
The Crypts by Robert Eckhardt
Hordes of Chaos X by Ubberdude
The History of Fruit by The Cupboard
Heretic - Curse of D'sparil by Kristus - Best Heretic wad ever
Town Of Witchcraft by Samuel Villarreal - the map is a just a little too long - I get a little confused

For Hexen;

Deleted Scene by Russell Pearson
The LychGate by Nick Taylor
Riverwood Village by CodenniumRed
Abandoned Chapel by Ubberdude
Dreadnaught and Knockabout By Scott McNutt
Hexen: Scourge of Viscerus - Levels are OK but the new sprites are fantastic
Ressurection of Chaos by Ubberdude

I am also a big fan of The Gatehouse, The Crypts and Ramparts of Perdition in the orriginal Heretic.

Thanks for your time and hope to hear from the community so I can play more great maps soon.

Jacob "Halfblind" Hieter AKA Jacobytex

Have you not played the utmost classic Doom and Doom 2 megawads such as Scythe, Scythe 2, Requiem, Hell Revealed 1 & 2, Momento Mori 1 & 2, Alien Vendetta, ADO: 2002(?) and others yet?

Mr. Chris writes;

"you not played the utmost classic Doom and Doom 2 megawads such as Scythe, Scythe 2, Requiem, Hell Revealed 1 & 2, Momento Mori 1 & 2, Alien Vendetta, ADO: 2002(?) and others yet?"

I have infact played "Sythe", "Sythe 2" and "Requiem" but I have not played the rest of the files that you have mentioned though I will check them out sometime soon. My big issue with Sythe and Sythe 2 is the first levels are kind of plain the later levels are too hard for my poor doom skills but the levels twards the end before you get to the insane levels are good though.

Thaks kristus for your reply and thanks for your awesome wad for Heretic I have an e-mail that I have been working on, but I have not finished it yet due to it being a full review of the of your Curse of D'speril. I hope to send it to you soon. I also hope to play your Hexen wad soon as well.

Gez Writes;

"It's more cave and lava than castles and cathedrals, but for Heretic I'd recommend taking a look at the River of Fire series. You may also like Freame 2."

I have played "River of Fire" but it is not one of my favorites, I do play it often though. I will check out the other one soon though. I would rather play cave levels for Hexen than Heretic due to the texture variety and that they were designed strictly for that sort of thing.

TheCupboard Writes;

Shadowcaster is an older one for Heretic that executes the castle/medieval village themes really well and incorporates some puzzle-oriented gameplay.

I still have not played Shadowcaster yet dut to the older virsion requireing an ancient version of Zdoom that I don't have. There is a newer version out so I will try it out soon as well. I have also played Masters Domain that you have mentioned in your e-mail but it is not one of my top favorite Heretic wads either.

Thanks all for your comments so far.

look through the 10 years of doom as well as the 2004-2010 cacowards linked to on the home page...if you aren't aware of them.

Hellcore 2.0 map 10 (i think) is a very nice and atmospheric map that begins in a cathedral and then descends into a deep crypt. it might not be your cuppa-t though because the gameplay revolves around a lot of archviles in cramped locations.