Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dannebubinga

Combat Shock now on /idgames

Finally I'm going to release this 4 map wad that I've been working on, on and off for 1 year. The maps are very varied in quality when it comes to design and architecture cause this shows my progression as a mapper. When I started this I didn't know crap about making cool stuff like the SoD or UAC-ultra teams, but I knew I wanted to make just as good maps as they were doing. So map 1 shows my very newbie side as a mapper, while map 4 shows my more acomplished side as a mapper. But I still have much to learn!

I settled for slaughtermaps cause that's the type of maps that I myself prefer to play. Skill levels, multiplayer starts and coop are not implemented.

Map 01: Agitator 1 2
Map 02: Gozu 1 2
Map 03: Fudoh 1 2
Map 04: Messatsu 1 2

The wad runs with plutonia.wad as IWAD and pr/gl-boom+ cl_9 is recommended. Pistol start is also something you might consider, cause that's how I intended the maps to be played.

I think this is the final version but I'm not 100% sure if it's bug-free. I figured you could download it and tell me if you find anything strange. If something comes up I'll fix the error and then upload it to the archive in 1 week or so. If you find that I've used your texture or music, please let me know so I can credit you.

/idgames

Looks good bro. I like the wood beam lights in the last two shots.

As I said in DoomHero's thread, I really like this. It's very fun and true to Plutonia's spirit even while being a slaughtermap.

dannebubinga said:

Thanks to RjY, this map now works with PrBoom+!

But you still seem to be linking to the original, broken, version..? Maybe I'm being too paranoid here but I think it makes me look bad if you're thanking me for fixing it and somebody downloads it and finds it is still broken. :-P

Here is a patch which should be loaded after the main wad, i.e. run the game with

prboom combat.wad combat-prboom-patch.wad -iwad plutonia -warp 1

RjY said:

But you still seem to be linking to the original, broken, version..? Maybe I'm being too paranoid here but I think it makes me look bad if you're thanking me for fixing it and somebody downloads it and finds it is still broken. :-P

Here is a patch which should be loaded after the main wad, i.e. run the game with

prboom combat.wad combat-prboom-patch.wad -iwad plutonia -warp 1

Haha crap. I don't know how I forgot to update the link. Sorry for making you look "bad" hehe...

Link is fixed

Hi again. I'm in the progress of making more maps in the vein of combat wounded. Here is some screenshots of map 02: edit: dead link

Map 03 is in the making right now. If someone feel like testing or giving a hand, just shout! Screenshots of map 03 coming soon.

They look cool, I liked that long coridoor pic with the lights down the middle.

I'd be happy to help/test.

What format are you using for the maps?

Woho! Screenshots of map 3. It very brown. Is it just me, or is there a lack of things? The maps look empty at the screenshots, but the problem is that I don't want the player to get blocked by stupid torches and stuff while fighting.

Looks promising, great architecture and a nice to see some height variation on the ceilings! I think the emptiness is there due to lack of contrast in color and due to lack of light variation. Find some non brown textures that can contrast nicely with the brown and you won't need to clutter the map up with torches, although putting some green torches up on unreachable ledges could definitely make the scenery more striking. See if replacing the brown water with blood would also help, in some areas it might work? I also can't help but think what it would look like in the last shot if you changed the brown bricks with the Brick10 texture. The light variation is very flat, making certain areas lighter and darker to contrast with eachother will help areas stand out more. Imo has potential to be very atmospheric.

Edit: maybe even a few hints of green zimmer could help it look better?

Thanks for the kind words Deathevokation.

You really like green huh? ;) I have been thinking about adding green zimmer and green torches on unreachable areas, but I am worried about ruining the more "realistic" aspects. The map is supposed to take place inside a mountain, and there isn't really anything growing inside a mountain (green zimmer for example). That's why there is just alot of brown textures everywhere.

The brick10 is a really neat idea though. I tried changing to brick10 and really liked the look, there is also the convience of adding slime13 flat to the floor and cieling.

Want to playtest?

edit: the lack of lightvariation is because of glboom+. I can't seem to lower the brightness and/or contrast levels, making the maps very bright and it's hard to spot any difference in light changes when it comes to 160-240.

Sorry I must have overlooked the response you made a while back, better late than never though.

Haha, yeah I really like how green can mix with brown, you can make almost any scene look very striking with even a tiny amount of detail by mixing colors and contrasting lighting.

And seriously, don't worry about being realistic, your fighting against hell. :) DooM 2 was very unrealistic, but a lot of the maps still had a great sense of place, in a twisted Lovecraftian way.

Hmmm, with light variation I'd recommend using something like 128-240, although I usually reserve 128 for medium sized areas to contrast with a lit up part of the room, or for unreachable areas. Although sometimes I also use 112 in unreachable areas where it looks cool. :P

And thanks for offering the testing position, but I have a lot on my plate right now. I'm looking forward to seeing more screens from you and seeing how this progresses though, if I get some freetime soon I'll let you know though. So far I can say looks pretty good, and as I said before, looks full of potential. :)

I think the green grass doesn't match with the dark brown dirtwall. Use something other outdoor texture. For example use the same texture as we seen on the ceiling

I took some time to change the textures on the keep in the mountain. Some green for you deathevokation! ;) But I wanted to keep some brown so the brown slime didn't seem out of place.

Also: Does anybody know if it's possible to change Iwad in the middle of mapping progress even if i've used textures from plutonia.wad? If I change iwad to doom2.wad all the textures and flats that I've used from pl.wad appear as questionmarks. I know why this happens etc, but I'm wondering if theres a way to bypass this problem and make DB import all stock textures and flats from doom2.wad instead of pl.wad?

Hey dannebubinga! First shot looks very cool, but I think the green on the green zimmer on the sides of the cave are a bit too bright, Imo making it darker along the edges (128?) might make it stand out a little less. :)

I'm not sure how you'd get the textures to work, but it would involve copying the textures across. Something I'm not to sure how to do.

Thanks death evokation! I think I have mentioned this before but glboom+ doesn't allow me to change brighness so all maps appear to be brighter than they actually are. The big area in screen 1 is actually 140 and against the walls on the side the brightness is only 112 :/

phobosdeimos1 said:

Ah man was looking forward to playing it, it says the file's not available, can you rehost it?

I can host map 02 later this evening. Just make sure to give me feedback ;)

dannebubinga said:

The big area in screen 1 is actually 140 and against the walls on the side the brightness is only 112 :/

Wow, really? Damn..

Well, I don't really like brown levels (they remind me of Plutonia and Quake, both of which I hated), but I do like the general lighting and the interesting atmosphere you've created by the architecture. I didn't fully play through the maps though, so that's all I can say.

Damn, so it is for Boom? You should specify that. I played with -complevel 2 and got stuck here: http://img24.imageshack.us/i/doom142.png/(switch doesn't work)

Of course, I will use TNTCOMP cheat to proceed further, but now I can't show you the demo :(

EDIT: TNTCOMP didn't help, I guess. There is spiders floating in the air. I don't think it is ok... I'll try again from the start tomorrow.

Here's a long and boring lmp of me failing in your level (for prboom-plus, complevel 9, UV):
http://www.mediafire.com/?n7pl9bc7jg5wgyn

I'll try again tomorrow. Looks good so far, althought when the spiders appear one by one in the building on the first run is a bit strange (was that intentional?).

Also, first time making an lmp, so I hope I did things right.

Memfis:Yep. the map is for boom complevel 9. I should have specified that. I always forget something important when I show of my work... Looking forward seeing a new demo if you still feel couraged :)

NoneeLlama: Interesting demo! I could tell that the punch out start is not that fun. Maybe I should switch from berserk pack to SG and switch the SG to SSG?

As for the spiders in the first building, you have a point that it looks stupid. I will raise the floor so the spiders are in combat from the moment you open the door to that room.

Thanks for the feedback

dannebubinga said:

NoneeLlama: Interesting demo! I could tell that the punch out start is not that fun. Maybe I should switch from berserk pack to SG and switch the SG to SSG?

As for the spiders in the first building, you have a point that it looks stupid. I will raise the floor so the spiders are in combat from the moment you open the door to that room.

Thanks for the feedback

Yes, it's very dull . The berserk pack can stay, maybe replace the SG with an SSG.

What I ment about the spiders was, that they appeared one after the other the first time when I approached the stairs (when both shoud have appeared at the same time). It's more of a bug.

In the mean time, here's another lmp, 'though I didn't progressed too much: http://www.mediafire.com/?287lldbee714v04