Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valhallaist

Mapper's block! Show your abandoned maps here

I'm still a n00b in mapmaking. My first and only map didn't do too well. I started a another one intending it to be my next finished map. However, I stopped after I barely started due to a total lack of inspiration. I had no clue where I wanted to go with this:

The unfinished layout: http://oi53.tinypic.com/2yy7a74.jpg

The only finished room: http://oi55.tinypic.com/othlpw.jpg

A corridor with random textures: http://oi52.tinypic.com/33kgdoz.jpg

A room that was intended to look like an underground train station:

http://oi52.tinypic.com/4sdug0.jpg

http://oi53.tinypic.com/vs2ovd.jpg

Suggestions welcome from more experienced mappers.

I still intend to use all my unfinished stuff somehow eventually. In fact I'm running dangerously short on it.

Try to add borders, and take away that demon's face texture in the train station. I like how you used that light texture with the caco looking at it. The one finished room looks okay. It's a little hard to help when you give us so little to work with.

Unfinished stuff.

Actually, it's not abandoned nor did I run into any kind of mapper's block. I've had people yelling at me while I was reading this thread and was also in the process of yelling back so I guess I just skimmed through the topic and didn't get the point, but now that I went through the trouble of making a pretty text file and uploading it somewhere I'm going to post it anyway.

I thought the train stations in mlm12.wad and Kama Sutra were pretty good, you might want to look at these for inspiration.

My first, noob attempt to make a mod was this.
The little story besides it: when I used to be a not-so-old child (about 11-12 years old), I've always wanted to make my own maps and then started to draw maps - their pre-imagined automap view - into a checked exercise book. Time went by, I had finally finished with all 36 maps, that would have been a fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh episode for Doom (I hadn't heard about the Ultimade Doom yet, so I had always thought it had only 3 episodes), then, at the age of 16, I came accross that exercise book just hours later I had downloaded Doom Builder 2. I started to realise them during summer, 2009 (those were actually my very first mappings), and I had made four maps complete and a fifth just began. Then, I tracked down various projects and my enthusiasm dropped - all I've done in this stuff was copying, copying and copying from the original episodes, not mentioning the horrible visuals I had made. That's why I've abandoned this project and started way new ones.

The ceiling-detail with the wires was inspired by Doom 3... It also took inspiration from Darkening 2 - specifically the computer panel. I've come to appreciate door-frames, and tried to build a frame for the door and make it a standard throughout the map. It didn't turn out particularly good, however...

It was cleaner before, before I changed some of the textures so they no longer match as shown...

A couple of screenshots of an unfinish speedmap that I was making back in October. I was trying to make an arena style map were every time you grab one of the 3 card keys, hordes of monsters spawn near the other 2 regardless of which skull key your getting first. Sadly I have lost motivation after about 30-45 mins and haven't touch it since.

...and yes I was using UAC Ultra textures :P

I am all too familiar with mapper's block. I abandoned many projects and I used to have a bad habit of deleting every unfinished map when I got frustrated. But there are some survivors.

November 2007 - Temple (most original map name ever)

A pointless and ugly ZDoom map (two rooms actually). I wanted to make a highly detailed map, but it just ended up looking messy, yet very monotonous texture-wise. Seriously, just look at the statistics:
Vertices: 2706
Linedefs: 3130
Sidedefs: 5697
Sectors: 453
Things: 42
No gameplay whatsoever, but it has particle fountains. Then I played Suspended in Dusk, and I realized that there is much more to mapping than statistics.

December 2008 - Infernal Déjà Vu

The entirety of Doom's Inferno in one map for GZDoom using 3D floors, a custom palette and a skybox. I started making the E3M3 area, but it was never finished, and I decided to cancel it - what is the point of remakes anyway.

October 2010 - cc4map.wad (working title)

No, this Boom compatible map was not made for CC4, but it does use its texture pack. When I first saw the beautiful sky for the second episode that esselfortium made, I just had to see it in action. I added it to the texture pack, warped to MAP14, and it inspired me to make a techbase on an asteroid, floating in space. What you see in the screenshot is all that I made. I had some ideas for this map, but I do not believe I will ever finish it, because little thought has been put into the general layout of the map, so it would probably play like crap anyway.

https://sites.google.com/site/w0r1dofdesu/home/pub

Filename: bas-zd.wad and bas.deh
Title: Big & Stupid
IWAD: Doom2.wad

It's a 8 levels coop wad, barely inspired upon all that coop maps present in zdaemon servers, made in the 2005\6.... but at the end just a insane bunch of crazy maps with lots of new graphics and dehacked monsters. It needs zdoom to be played...

I think I will not show any of my abandoned work here, it could become a pretty long post with plenty of screens. ;)

I did post a few screens of a map in the "Post your doom screenshots" thread. And thats just one of the maps I don't plan on finishing.

I have a finished Heretic map (screen 1 2) from Oct 2006 and an unfinished heretic map (screen 1) I made in late 2008. Was going to be a small episode but I didn't like they way they were turning out. Having a look at them again makes me want to give it another go though... :(

Also made a Strife map back in 2006, was going to create a full hub. Lost interest for some reason, and I no longer have the map on any hard drive. It's possible a friend does though. Wasn't too bad in hindsight.

I've made many attempts at a second expansion singleplayer map for Ni'mrod, the last of which I tried early 2009 (screen 1 2 3). All attempts have been completely shit.

Did a host of speedmaps between 06-07. Nothing special. Did an unfinished speedmap last month but it needs too much polish for me to keep working on it.

I made many dozens of maps that had just a couple of rooms then lost track (I haven't had this problem in years now fortunately), but these are the main ones that I remember off the top of my head.

Started work on a joke wad named the Adventures of Zbub. But its not going to get released because I'm over this era in my life.

I have a bunch...

COSMOS: My first serious attempt at a ZDoom map. One or two interesting ideas but mostly pretty unexciting.
KEEN: This was going to be a Commander-Keen-themed TC. There's a whole host of sprites and textures and flats I made over many months that might never be used. Who knows, maybe I'll do something with the resources someday...
MU-COSM: Classic-style Doom I map, which was ultimately going to incorporate elements of all 3 episodes. Not bad really, but I doubt I'm ever going to finish it.
MYDOOM: My first Doom maps ever. Several maps in here, all of them horrible. Go nuts.
SB1024_2: Half a 1024 map. Not terrible, but pretty unfinished...
URDEMONS: This was just dicking around really...it's meant to be played with that Empathy WAD that lets you play as the demons, which means it can accommodate anything up to the Spider Mastermind. Will not work without the texture WAD for Claustrophobia 1024, which will make it useless for most everybody.

http://www.mediafire.com/?s7q6u2cyz14avb8

This one was an overly ambitious idea I had a year ago.

Then there's this, which would have been a tribute to AV10. Who knows... I might actually start this one up again at some point.

esselfortium said:

Xtroose, finish that asteroid-base map and give it to CC4!

Or perhaps... something else. ;)

Well, maybe I will finish it some day, but definitely not any time soon. As for contributing the map to CC4, I believe my glacial mapping pace and endless nitpicking, would probably only harm the project for very little benefit. Besides, the last thing CC4 really needs now is another delay.

But I am very happy you liked the screenshot (even though there is not really that much to show), it means a lot to me. I just hope I will be able to release something in 2011.

Some pretty neat abandoned stuff I see here, too bad it is all.. abandoned =(. I particularly like what Torn did with his unfinished pieces, putting them all in a single file was a good idea :P.

As for some of my stuff, this section was originally in my community chest 4 map when it was much larger. I later split that map into two, but I couldn't decide where this area would belong. In the end, I decided I didn't really like it enough, so it is being cut out from both altogether.

This is a speedmap that I started and promptly lost the motivation to finish. My original goal was to make a very "clean" looking map that didn't use much detail and only a few textures. It was beginning to look ridiculous though so I canned it. The cool sky was made by Chris Dale, and used in Michael Krause's wad "moon 2000".

Whilst I have abandoned a great many maps over the years, I also deleted them when I realised they were getting me nowhere.

According to my little Statistics file that I've bene keeping for a year or two, I've abandoned 10 maps to my knowledge since around 2005. One of these is listed as "ZDCMP#2" though, which was kind of 4 maps, and kind of abandoned by the entire community.

A lot of the time I just lose interest because the projects seem too big though. I doubt I have any screenshots or anything left over, unfortunately.