Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Your favourite music (except IWAD music)

What your favourite music you've heard in WADs? I don't think about original Doom, Doom2, etc. music

My favourite music:

Speed of Doom MAP32
Plutonia 2 MAP01
Hell Revealed 2 MAP07,MAP09, MAP23, MAP26, MAP29

action doom - da boss
speed of doom - map 30
mars war - map 30 (v3.01)
ressurection of chaos (hexen) - map 07
hell revealed - maps 01,31
HR2 - maps 15,31,32,29
alien vendetta - map 25
stronghold - STR35
deus vult 2 - maps 01,02,23,29
unloved - lost childhood
turbocharged arcade 2 - d_xmas2 & d_prison
arcadia - map 01
eternal doom 3 - maps 30, 31
scythe - maps 18,19,20,26,29
scythe 2 - maps 1,8,11,13,31,19,20,25,27,28,30

PD: hacx counts as IWAD?

Ultimate Simplicity's theme for Map 10, I know its from Duke Nukem 3D, but its easily the best of anything ever. I was absolutely shocked when I found out it was from Duke.

IWADs:

*TNT (Always thought it had a clear advantage over Plutonia music-wise...maps are a different story :)) - MAP01 and MAP02 are my all-time favorites

PWADS:

*Scythe2 - Almost everything, but I particularly like MAP01, MAP25, MAP28, and MAP30's songs.

*Speed Of Doom - Stewboy's "Stars" (MAP31) and Jimmy's "Baron's Province" (MAP30) are my personal favorites.

*Crucified Dreams - MAP01 and MAP02's songs

*Plutonia 2 - Jimmy's Cataclysmic Impact (MAP30)

*The entire soundtrack for my upcoming project, "Smart CTF," by both Jimmy and Stewboy :)

I also liked the theme of zpack e3m3: "stereotomy", use as the main theme in my maps "infernal fortress" 1 & 2,

I don't think i've ever opened up SlumpEd to listen to a midi more than I have for Hell Revealed 2 MAP15. The drums are sick and it's a shame there aren't more songs like it.

Some other ones that stick in my head are Vile Flesh MAP12, and almost everything from Icarus, especially MAP01, MAP03, MAP09 and MAP16

40oz said:

Vile Flesh MAP12

Heh, cool song. I'm using it in Jenesis Part 2. :P (To be honest, though, I'll probably write an entirely new soundtrack for the complete megawad. Eventually.) MAP08's song also stands out as being particularly epic.

However, probably the best song I've ever heard in a Doom mod was in Scientist 2. The map was called "Pure as Snow", and it had a MIDI rendition of Dream Theater's "Afterlife". It fits the map brilliantly and sounds kick-awesome to boot. :P

My other all-time favorites (off the top of my head) include PL2 MAP20, HR2 MAP09, and anything (and I mean anything) by Mark Klem.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

I like music by that guy Elric Sullivan, he's a pretty good MIDI composer

40oz said:

I don't think i've ever opened up SlumpEd to listen to a midi more than I have for Hell Revealed 2 MAP15.

Fuck yeah, nice one. I like the melodic chorus the best though

my favorite parts are the heavy drumming in 1:57-2:29 and 3:33-4:48.

The midi device being used with it doesn't give it justice though. I could totally use some music like that in my maps if anyone's interested in composing death metal blast beat stuff.

STRAIN MAP14's music beats all. Though MAP20's tune (Klem's "Phenomenon") is no slouch either.

ianfreddie07 said:

Alien Vendetta MAP01

Seriously... I don't know what it is, but I keep coming back to this one. Also:

Scythe X - Map09
UAC Ultra - Map06
SOD - Map17, Map31, 32
Scythe 2 - Map01, Map11
AV - Map24
Arcadia - Map01

Probably a ton more that I can't think of.

Surely there's other tunes from SOD that people like besides 30/31/32? It's also interesting that out of 31 and 32, map32 was the very first tune I did for the project, and map31 was the very last, with nearly a year between them, yet people still like both.

With SoD I enjoyed Map01 music the most and I enjoyed a lot of tracks that Jimmy and Stewboy wrote for it... I have to say though that there was a lot of music I was disappointed with, especially Darkwave's personal choices.

My favorite wads in terms of music is Requiem, and Icarus. I'd be hard pressed to find a midi that I don't think is awesome from either of those mapsets.

[I'll restrict this to wads that had original music, rather than ones that ripped it from other sources.]

STRAIN and Hacx have great music.

Many of the classic megawads had good music, such as MM, MM2, Requiem, Eternal and especially Icarus. To me, not the same class as some of the tracks in STRAIN & Hacx, but very solid work, and the fact that they were in separate wads made them easy to use with other, more musically-challenged megawads.

Some of Paul Corfiatis's music (in 2002ADO, for instance) is truly excellent, but some is kind of, well, odd.

Given that he is a professional musician, it is no surprise that Gwyn Williams's music for Vile Flesh is very high quality.

Ray Schmitz ("shitbag" or whatever he calls himself) made some wonderful music, for his early wads in particular.

Some other favourites I have:

SoD: I like the entire soundtrack but more favourites are Map 03, Map 14, Map 16, map 07
Equinox: The hub song, Map 10, Map 11, Map 12, Map 06, Map 07
HR2: Same deal with SoD but favourites are Map 07, Map 15
Plutonia 2: Map 01, Map 02 ,Map 03, Map 15, Map 32, Map 30 and some other awesome one with that leaning electric guitar at the end
MM: Map 01, Map 03, Map 25 and more (can't remember the map numbers!)
MM2: Same deal with MM, can't remember some of the numbers, but I CAN remember Map 01, Map 02 and Map 03

I've always enjoyed the music in Bio-War, particularly map14. Another notable favorite is the music for Alien Vendetta map04.

Grazza said:

[I'll restrict this to wads that had original music, rather than ones that ripped it from other sources.]

It's quite sad the number of projects that thrive on ripping resources from other WADs or games these days. The endless recycling of the same sources has turned many otherwise excellent tracks into little more than PWAD elevator music.

My favorite original PWAD music would be
- D_E3M2 and D_E3M3 from 2002ADO
- MAP04 track from Requiem