Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Alien Vendetta sequel?

Do you like Alien Vendetta? I think, yes, because it's an incredibly famous and popular WAD. Levels are detailed, long and ejoyable.

For players: if a group start to make AV2, should you try it?
For mappers: have you ever thought about making AV2?

Definitely not unless the original makers of AV are involved in it.

By all means try to make a wad that is inspired by AV. Just don't pass it off as "AV2".

Agreed with ducon, Speed of Doom can be seen as a possible "Alien Vendetta 2" already, it's _that_ good. :)

Besides, before making a sequel, try to get in touch with the original authors to see what they think about it.

In my view, Speed of Doom is totally different than Alien Vendetta. I played both, and Alien Vendetta has long levels, But I enjoyed its every minutes. Speed of Doom is a continual challange, where you try to survive every minutes. But also a good WAD :)

The only one that really should be making an AV2 is Andy. And I doubt he'd wanna do it all over again.

Even if he got permission, it'd probably end up having nothing that made AV so great.

Best to just make a wad and just let everyone know that it was inspired by AV and rename it something else instead of trying to be like Hollywood who cash in on the fame of past successes.

Jenesis will (hopefully) fulfill all your Alien Vendetta 2/Requiem 2/Memento Mori 3/Hell Revealed 3/Vile Flesh 2 needs. :P

Definitely not unless the original makers of AV are involved in it.

By all means try to make a wad that is inspired by AV. Just don't pass it off as "AV2".

My verdict on HR2. It's not by Yonatan Donner and Haggay Niv, nor is it a true "sequel" either. I think of it more as inspired by HR or an expansion pack.

I think megawads that try to be original are far greater than trying to imitate the efforts of past authors. Imagine if Alien Vendetta were instead called, "Memento Mori III" it would still be a great megawad, but it certainly doesn't resemble the original authors works, therefore tainting the overall view of the megawad. If there is going to be a sequel to Alien Vendetta, it better be from the original authors, much like Memento Mori II was. However, I would say there are exceptions to this, much like Plutonia 2 was a sequel to an IWAD, it's highly unlikely the original authors would have anything to do with Doom again.

But yeah, Scythe 2 and Speed of Doom could be seen as a sequel to Alien Vendetta.

valkiriforce said:

Scythe 2 and Speed of Doom could be seen as a sequel to Alien Vendetta.

Okay, Speed of Doom maybe a bit, but Scythe 2? Are you kidding me? :D

Scythe 2 levels are mostly short, or contains little walkable area. But Alien Vendetta... just try MAP11 or anything in Episode 3! More longer than any levels in Scythe 2!

Alien Vendetta has a really, REALLY custom feeling. I feel, it is Doom itself, and it won't be ended. Fantastic. Scythe 2 had rather give action feeling.

I don't think it needs a sequel. And if a sequel was to be made, it would have to be the original creators idea.

Because everything needs a sequel...

Didn't Tron:Legacy teach anybody anything???

Congestion 1024 has a sequel, and it's sequel has another sequel! And both WADs are great!
Hell Revealed has a sequel, which is also great! HR2 has more detail than HR, but the difficulty is similar, I think.

Don't need a sequal to AV? Maybe it's true. Maybe not :P I don't know exactly...

I think enough large, detailed, difficult boom-compatible megaWADs are being made without being titled AV2 that we don't need one that is.

Phobus nailed it. Alien Vendetta is a great classic megawad, creating a "sequel" and calling it Alien Vendetta 2 is just as much a sequel as Hell Revealed 2 is.

Katamori said:

Congestion 1024 has a sequel, and it's sequel has another sequel! And both WADs are great!
Hell Revealed has a sequel, which is also great!

The wads you're talking about aren't great because they're sequels, they're great because effort has been put into them so they could be of good quality on their own and more or less faithful to the original ( the more the better ). Not to mention HRII and both 1024cla* wads were approved by original authors as well.

For now I think you should do as others said, just create a wad, get inspiration from AV or whatever you like, and see what you can do with it :)

You may also have a look at the debate which happened when some people tried starting a project named Hell Revealed III.

I'm glad you enjoyed AV and it has inspired you to create maps, however without Andy's permission to use the name I suggest you pick another title.

dew said:

quick, let's make ksutra2 before gusta finishes his own!

This time every map will consist of a giant naked women spewing monsters out of her vagina

Craigs said:

This time every map will consist of a giant naked women spewing monsters out of her vagina

And for a very exciting twist, the super secret map must have a giant dick spewing monsters out.