Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames/newstuff/dcv.zip

(Megawad has now reached /newstuff, it will assumably reach /idgames on Doomworld soon.)

Anyways I've taken a look and it seems like a (relatively) random collection of maps - but that isn't always a fault, and the desgin looks good if oldschool for the most part. If you've played this wad, would you recommend giving it a spim?

The whole point was for the mapset to feel like a megawad that could have been made in the 90's... if you enjoyed classic megawads like Memento Mori, Requiem and Icarus then I recommend you give it a try. :)

DeathevokatioN said:

The whole point was for the mapset to feel like a megawad that could have been made in the 90's... if you enjoyed classic megawads like Memento Mori, Requiem and Icarus then I recommend you give it a try. :)

Have you actually played (at least a good chunk of) it, and if so what are your personal thoughts without respect to any other particular megawad or era of map making except potentially MM(2)/Requiem? (In particular I'm looking for gameplay and enjoyment, cause that's always by far most important to me.)

(I did like MM2 and Requiem a lot, though. First MM and Icarus were pretty nice too but honestly not quite as high on my scale. But I don't want to be playing something similar to those wads yet inferior; I'd like to see if it's something that in your view could've stacked up as MM3 or some other very well-received mid-late 90s [throwback] wad.)

Maybe the most simple response would be to give it an honest score on a scale of 5, or 10 if you'd like.

And not to mention, all other users feel free to post your consensus here as well. :)

DeathevokatioN said:

That was more so for Reverie, this mapset was just my playing around with ideas I had at the time. Of course you could always look at the notepad for the inspirations for each map.

From what I've played of Doom Core and from what videos I've seen, it does feel as if it could have been built in the 90's though, alot of the levels have that quirky 90's experimental feel to them, but then again your style has a more 90's edge to it in general. :)

DeathevokatioN said:

From what I've played of Doom Core and from what videos I've seen, it does feel as if it could have been built in the 90's though, alot of the levels have that quirky 90's experimental feel to them, but then again your style has a more 90's edge to it in general. :)

Yeah, well they're my favorite and I can't help it. :P

DeathevokatioN said:

How many levels have you played and what would you rate your enjoyment level thus far?

valkiriforce said:

Yeah, well they're my favorite and I can't help it. :P

It's good thing. I love classical megawads. :)

@Doom Forever, I've only played 2 levels and watched one video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28RD0_7Jvag that's why I'm saying "from what I've played", and despite Valkiriforce not being so happy with it, the levels that I've played and the one in the video seem to be of a high quality, especially for a one man megawad. And I had alot of fun blasting through the first 2 levels, and will get to the rest pretty soon.

"Oops - Ty forgot to throw this in the megawads section."

Dang, and he left out the description - how will people know this is a megawad?

Well anyway, I'm glad it's finally up.

valkiriforce said:

"Oops - Ty forgot to throw this in the megawads section."

Dang, and he left out the description - how will people know this is a megawad?

Well anyway, I'm glad it's finally up.

You should probably email him about it; I'm sure he'll fix things. :)

Alternatively you could upload a note, "Note to Ty.txt", explaining the situation.

EDIT: The description issue is not Ty's fault. The "Description" field is not in the proper place for the database here on Doomworld to find it and pull out the text. It needs to be in the place it is on the template text file here.

MegaDoomer said:

EDIT: The description issue is not Ty's fault. The "Description" field is not in the proper place for the database here on Doomworld to find it and pull out the text. It needs to be in the place it is on the template text file here.

Whoops, well I sent him an email recently. Hopefully something can be figured out (I'll have to use that template next time).

valkiriforce said:

Whoops, well I sent him an email recently. Hopefully something can be figured out (I'll have to use that template next time).

The best fix for the description problem is to do a new text file in the correct format, then upload the zip and text under a slightly different name (maybe DCoreV.zip, DCoreV.txt) and use a note or email to tell Ty to delete the current DCV files and put in the new files under whatever you named them.

(The filenames cannot be exactly the same as before because the automated /idgames system on Doomworld will not recognize an overwrite of an already-existing file, to my knowledge.)

Played it from MAP01 to MAP14 and I must say: Amazing oldschool wad! I love it :)

This wad should get proper attention.

I started playing DCV a couple days ago and made it to MAP05. The level design and themes are great! And yeah, there are lots of chaingunners but also plenty of health so that makes up for it. It's much better balanced than say Classic Episode (class_ep.wad) which has snipers and ambushes all over but hardly any health.

Up to map 10, fdaing as I go. The switch that lowers the blue key is in ... a very awkward place. VERY awkward. Also I disliked the rev + nukage + IMPS combo so much in map8 that I quit. Otherwise, liking it a lot. I guess i should upload my fdas so far.

E: Just took a look at the dates on the wad, and it looks like I might have been fdaing the old version ... oops.

Okay, now that I finished playing through Doom Core I can say that I had a great time playing this megawad, it had one level I didn't enjoy somewhere in E2, but other than that there are alot of great levels full of fast paced arcade styled action and the layouts were very good as well. Congrats valkiriforce, and I'm highly anticipating Reverie. :)

I get stucked in m31 lift, where RK is. After it rised - no way out from there because of next sector low ceiling.

Also, that hidden teleport to RK area is hidden to damn insensitive. Is it J. Flynn influence? I hate his maps for such things.

I'm planning on updating the release of this megawad with a fix for MAP30. It seems I managed to let it slip through without fixing the teleport bug, making 100% kills impossible. I fixed it up but I'm also wondering if I update the text file as well would that not only replace the original idgames upload but place it in the correct Doom 2 megawads directory? It kinda bothers me that it just landed in the Doom 2 levels directory, but that was due to my inexperience at the time with the use of FTP clients and all that jazz.

valkiriforce said:

I asked Ty if it was possible to transfer the reviews from the older upload over to the newer one.

Just a heads-up, Ty only maintains the /idgames FTP - it's Linguica you want to talk to about the reviews on the web interface.

WildWeasel said:

Just a heads-up, Ty only maintains the /idgames FTP - it's Linguica you want to talk to about the reviews on the web interface.

Oh OK, thanks for the heads up.

Is there anyone else I can contact about this? I've not heard anything from anyone except Ty - but even then he can't remove the old WAD until the reviews have been transferred.

Wait, why does the idgames archive maintainer even care about the reviews? His repository is canonical and has no external dependencies. It is the doomworld review website that depends on /idgames, not vice-versa.

hex11 said:

Wait, why does the idgames archive maintainer even care about the reviews? His repository is canonical and has no external dependencies. It is the doomworld review website that depends on /idgames, not vice-versa.

He doesn't, he asked me which file it was I wanted him to remove - but he also told me he isn't responsible for the reviews. So I wanted to find out who could do the review transfer.

If it's really that much trouble then it's really not worth it - at least the new and updated version found it's way in the megawads directory.