Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Aliens or demons?

Comments like "...completely isolated on its own until you die" make me feel that it's an almost Christian-derived Heaven/hell situation, but at the same time it's almost implying that it's the ONLY afterlife, which is interesting. I think there was a time when there was only a Hell in some of that ancient mythology.

After seeing a trailer for the movie Legion, I was once inspired to create a wad where you go to heaven to fight angels as an acted of pure hatred towards Gods ability to allow a demonic invasion to happen on Earth. Angels would have been significantly harder than demons and have gorier deaths. In retrospect I'm not really sure how I would map heaven, I've never really imagined what it would look like, and I wasn't really interested in creating a whole mess of angel sprites.

At the end of the wad Doomguy establishes his dominant power over both ends of the spectrum, making him the ruler of all spirits by way of brute strength and hostility.

NO GODS NO MASTERS
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH

On serious note, Heaven should look as alien as Hell is and the enemies should reflect that. Have you ever read the biblical descriptions of Angels? Go watch Evangelion. They hit the nail on the head a few times with their designs.

It always amuse me how cherubs became plump winged toddlers when they started as four-winged, four-headed creatures with swords of flame.

Gez said:

It always amuse me how cherubs became plump winged toddlers when they started as four-winged, four-headed creatures with swords of flame.

My favorite angels are the Orphanim. Wheel-shaped dudes with lots of eyes.

Really, it would seem that angels would be just as terrifying to behold as demons :P

I read somewhere that the first thing an angel says to a person they reveal themselves to is to not be afraid, which is understandable, because I would probably shit myself in terror if a wheel covered in eyes came out of nowhere and started talking to me.

Marcaek said:

I read somewhere that the first thing an angel says to a person they reveal themselves to is to not be afraid, which is understandable, because I would probably shit myself in terror if a wheel covered in eyes came out of nowhere and started talking to me.

And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

Though, the "Thrones," which are what you are referring to here, are, according at least to the works that mention them by name and describe them, bound to the throne of God and move eternally beneath it to bear the throne through the heavens. Only once in scripture are they ever mentioned to leave the direct presence of God, and that is in the story where Ezekiel saw a flaming wheel in the sky. Or at least that's some peoples' interpretation of it. (I am not a Christian and couldn't care less about interpretations :P)

40oz said:

In retrospect I'm not really sure how I would map heaven, I've never really imagined what it would look like, and I wasn't really interested in creating a whole mess of angel sprites.

There's a heaven guard sprite at the bestiary, which is a combination between Doom marine and Star Wars trooper. As for heaven itself, I like to consider it like huge marble castles in the sky surrounded by beautiful gardens. The atmosphere needs to NOT be despairing like you're used with Doom, but rather calm, dreamy and making you feel separated from the 'real world'. The engine should be Eternity to allow multilayer and paradoxic mapping. It HAS to feel different from the regular hell. The angels could look like tall humanoids who are so bright you can't see their faces, but also other strange phenomena and shapes.

StupidBunny said:

Doohohohohohoho

And that is the reason why the Doom novels and movie were so lame. (Well, part of it anyway.)

The thing that bugged me about the Doom movie is that all of the monsters are mutants that just look like the demons from the game.

Umm, DooM was heavily inspired by the Aliens movie. I think they just forgot to remove all the references when they switched to demons.