Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Karnizero

Oppinion about HUD

I need ANY kind of criticism about this game HUD, but please, write why you say "it's awesome" or why "it's shit in a pole"

This HUD gives information about :

- HEALTH & Armour
- Keys you possess
- Schematic image of the weapon in use
- Amount of ammo in current weapon's clip (shown in big numbers)
- Total amount of ammo for current weapon (shown in small numbers)

I would thank oppinion about : HUD colour, transparency ammount, text font and elements possition.
Don't hesitate to say your oppinion if it's bad, but please, dont say simple "i don't like it".

Thanks.

It looks fine to me. I'd only suggest making the corners of the weapon box round, for consistency.

Looks pretty nice~ Simple!
Though it does look a little rough right the edges, the AA on the lighter blue light isn't consistant all the way round~

Don't forget there are people who go widescreen too, so the edges will be cut off

I think that HUD looks pretty damn good! Nice translucency, cool font, and I don't think it would be distracting.

I second the idea of rounding the corners of the weapon box, at least a little.

You might also want to use an even more desaturated color, so that the HUD is even more neutral and appropriate to every situation in your WAD. This might actually not be a good idea for your particular project, so use your judgment. :)

Of course the themes of the project you're creating will dictate just how appropriate this HUD is. In a futuristic WAD or an episode 1-style mapset, it'd be perfect! But in an Episode 4-style WAD, not so much.

Anyway, it looks good! Keep up the great work!

You may want to add borders to the edges that touch the screens or it might look awkwardly cut off in widescreen resolutions.

EDIT: Or will it stretch appropriately? And if so, do the rest of the graphics scale to the correct positions?

EDGE HUDs don't stretch for widescreen, they just occupy less horizontal space, so that the aspect ratio of text and images remains correct.

@Gez: yes, i think those rounded borders will look more consistent, as you state.

@Mr. Chris: I guess where would you put the doomguy face there without breaking the "HUD-feeling".

@ArchitectofHell: I will test a more desaturated version. It may look good but not sure since The TC has techbase maps that uses mainly silver, brown and green and some blueish textures here and there. With a more desaturated version of the HUD I think that part of the contrast between the game and the HUD will be loss. Whatever, thanks for your suggestion. I will have into account.

FuzzballFox said:

Looks pretty nice~ Simple!
Though it does look a little rough right the edges, the AA on the lighter blue light isn't consistant all the way round~

[...]

Could you explain this please: "the AA on the lighter blue light isn't consistant all the way round"?

andrewj said:

EDGE HUDs don't stretch for widescreen, they just occupy less horizontal space, so that the aspect ratio of text and images remains correct.

I trust you, but I think I will test it since the HUD background image is just a 200px width image. Will report you back in EDGE Forums.

Karnizero said:

@Mr. Chris: I guess where would you put the doomguy face there without breaking the "HUD-feeling".

By moving the health/armor numbers down a bit and squeezing it there.

Magnum Express said:

Nice modern look. By the way, what software did you use to create that HUD.

Used The Gimp to draw and design.

EDGE Engine to implement it.

Mr. Chris said:

By moving the health/armor numbers down a bit and squeezing it there.

But placing a Doomguy face there requires a border or something because a face as is will look out of place, in my oppinion.

How about a doomguy face in the top-right corner, into a circular shape, with semitransparent background and border similar to the other parts of the HUD?

And this even gives me a new idea: bottom of screen = HUD bar with ammo and keys.
Top-right part with a "circle" containing in the middle the Doomguy face, and left & right to the face, a semi circular progress bars indicating health and armour. below these, in little numbers, the real number of health and armour.

Look this: